Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ill-considered car names

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Ill-considered car names

It seems to be getting worse, as the automakers run out of ideas (and non-copyrighted material), but here are some of my least favorite car names:

Toyota Echo (f you listen closely, you can hear all the great cars of the past screaming)
    Pontiac Aztek (not even spelled correctly)
    Mazda Protege (it hopes, one day, to be a real car)
    Nissan Altima (not even a real word; just a made-up name intended to evoke positive associations)
    VW Touareg (unpronounceable as well as impossible to spell correctly without prior study)
    Toyota Camry (a bastardization of "Camaro" perhaps?)
    Ford Aspire (when you're at rock bottom, the only thing you can do is hope it gets better)

How about your picks?

mrblanche

Re: Ill-considered car names

Ford Aspire. Aspire to what? Be a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    VW Touareg (unpronounceable as well as impossible to spell correctly without prior study)
    Known around here as the toerag......toerag, in northern England, is a pejorative which many would apply to the sort of person who drives a Touareg.

Here's some more comment on the subject:

http://www.billcasselman.com/unpubli..._car_names.htm

Staff

I would like to add Crown Victoria to the list. Thats about as stupid as it gets. Galaxie was a lot cooler. Didn't they reuse that name for a minivan or something really dumb?

And, Prius, which is very close to Pious. So are most of the people that drive them.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    I would like to add Crown Victoria to the list. Thats about as stupid as it gets. Galaxie was a lot cooler. Didn't they reuse that name for a minivan or something really dumb?

And, Prius, which is very close to Pious. So are most of the people that drive them.
    I kind of like Crown Vic; it's solid and stately. But maybe it's just a consequence of having grown up around these big cruisers and having developed a soft spot for them!

mrblanche

I'm with the comedian Gallagher, by the way. No manufacturer should be allowed to give a car a name he can't pronounce.

I speak, of course, of the Toyota Corora.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    He states:

>>Mitsubishi planned to bestow upon an eagerly salivating world car market a sleek new vehicle named The Pajero. They found out in time that, in some Spanish-speaking countries, pajero is an agent noun meaning ?wanker, masturbator, jerk-off.? Do you note a disturbing predilection for terms of self-abuse among carmakers?<<

They may have 'found out in time' but they still use the name Pajero in some markets, including the UK.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

I kind of like Crown Vic; it's solid and stately. But maybe it's just a consequence of having grown up around these big cruisers and having developed a soft spot for them!
    Yeah, but Ford began using that name in 1983. It was designed to replace teh LTD name. I equate the Crown Victoria with a mediocre, crappy car with tepid performance. Only after 1992 did the car have anything to offer the car buyer. The 190 HP 4.6 L SOHC V8 was a large improvement in performance over the smog controlled 150 HP 5.0 pushrod V8 in the 1991 and prior models.

If Ford wanted to revive its former glory in the big car segment, Galaxie was the name that it should have used back in the early 1990's. Taht was the last full sized Ford that I would have bought.

DonTom

How about your picks?

How about KIA (Killed in Action)? Who would want to drive a car where even the name implies that you'll get killed in it?

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    He states:

>>Mitsubishi planned to bestow upon an eagerly salivating world car market a sleek new vehicle named The Pajero. They found out in time that, in some Spanish-speaking countries, pajero is an agent noun meaning ?wanker, masturbator, jerk-off.? Do you note a disturbing predilection for terms of self-abuse among carmakers?<<

They may have 'found out in time' but they still use the name Pajero in some markets, including the UK.
    That's pretty damn funny - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    How about your picks?

How about KIA (Killed in Action)? Who would want to drive a car where even the name implies that you'll get killed in it?

-Don-
    And "Hyundai!" sounds like something you' do when you're sick!

If Ford wanted to revive its former glory in the big car segment, Galaxie was the name that it should have used back in the early 1990's. That was the last full sized Ford that I would have bought.
    So why is the new large Ford sedan just a "500" and not a "Galaxie 500" ?? Are they waiting for the two-door version?

They could even reintroduce the Skyliner name, with a retracting hard-top.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

One of the worst ones was Chevy Nova.

In spanish 'ir' means 'to go'. It is an irregualar verb, voy, vas, va ... I go, you go, he she it goes (va)

So in Spanish No va - means 'no go' ;D

mrblanche

Yeah, but Ford began using that name in 1983. It was designed to replace teh LTD name. I equate the Crown Victoria with a mediocre, crappy car with tepid performance. Only after 1992 did the car have anything to offer the car buyer. The 190 HP 4.6 L SOHC V8 was a large improvement in performance over the smog controlled 150 HP 5.0 pushrod V8 in the 1991 and prior models.

If Ford wanted to revive its former glory in the big car segment, Galaxie was the name that it should have used back in the early 1990's. Taht was the last full sized Ford that I would have bought.
    I'm with you on the Galaxie, but I do have to point out Ford used the name Crown Victoria in the mid-50's.

In fact, I think both Chevy and Ford made big mistakes in abandoning their naming scheme. Chevy, in particular, was bad about a new name every year: Lumina, Beretta, Corsica, Geo, Metro, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'm with you on the Galaxie, but I do have to point out Ford used the name Crown Victoria in the mid-50's.

In fact, I think both Chevy and Ford made big mistakes in abandoning their naming scheme. Chevy, in particular, was bad about a new name every year: Lumina, Beretta, Corsica, Geo, Metro, etc.

Now THAT's a car!

I often wish I'd been around 30 years ago, doing what I do now back then. I think it'd have been much more fun....

mrblanche

I had a cousin who had one, but not with the glass top.

His sister married a hot rodder who gave me my first ride in a real hot rod, a '32 sedan, I believe. Almost no interior, noisy, and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong
    One of the worst ones was Chevy Nova.

In spanish 'ir' means 'to go'. It is an irregualar verb, voy, vas, va ... I go, you go, he she it goes (va)

So in Spanish No va - means 'no go' ;D
    I know, you get to snicker over it, but in Spanish, "Nova" implies "new" just as it does in English, and the car sold very well in Mexico and south--as was well documented in the link in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

It seems to me that in the 50s, the models names would remain the same but every couple of years a lower trim line would be associated with the name for a higher one and new name made up of the new high trim line.

He states:

And down under also! A lot of pajeros drive around in Pajeros ;D ;D

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia