Thread: A tractor

A tractor

With talk about reaching 100

It reminds me of an old David Brown 950 diesel tractor I had on the farm that was purely used as a front-end loader. It did no heavy ploughing/plowing or the likel Another workhorse for that.

I had a couple of days stone picking and after the first . i decided to leave the tractor in the paddock.
    Big mistake...the following day I started up without checking levels, after a couple of hours the tired old engine started smoking, the temp was normal but it was the oil that was the problem. The one day I didn't check it it siezes!

It was a good excuse to get a new main workhorse, and elevate the existing workhorse to frontend loader status.

I sold the old David Brown to a local carrier firm for scrap..they just wanted the old loader.
    Some months later i saw the tractor working in their yard....i aske if they spent a lot to get it going....We just filled with oil, and towed the heck out of it for a mile or so. Clouds of blue emitted from the exhaust .......

A bit like this one http://www.davidbrowntractorclub.com/Images/950.htm
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: A tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    With talk about reaching 100

It reminds me of an old David Brown 950 diesel tractor I had on the farm that was purely used as a front-end loader. It did no heavy ploughing/plowing or the likel Another workhorse for that.

I had a couple of days stone picking and after the first . i decided to leave the tractor in the paddock.
    Big mistake...the following day I started up without checking levels, after a couple of hours the tired old engine started smoking, the temp was normal but it was the oil that was the problem. The one day I didn't check it it siezes!

It was a good excuse to get a new main workhorse, and elevate the existing workhorse to frontend loader status.

I sold the old David Brown to a local carrier firm for scrap..they just wanted the old loader.
    Some months later i saw the tractor working in their yard....i aske if they spent a lot to get it going....We just filled with oil, and towed the heck out of it for a mile or so. Clouds of blue emitted from the exhaust .......

A bit like this one http://www.davidbrowntractorclub.com/Images/950.htm
    Nice!

Tractors are enjoyable as well as practical - something that's hard to say about our other afflictions!

It reminds me of an old David Brown 950 diesel tractor I had on the farm that was purely used as a front-end loader.
    Ah, David Brown! The first vehicle I ever drove was a Cropmaster (A REAL David Brown!), like this:

http://www.davidbrowntractorclub.com...cropmaster.htm

It was paraffin (kerosene?) powered, but as paraffin is not very volatile,it had to be started & warmed up on petrol; switching back to petrol with a hot engine produced some pretty impressive flames out of the exhaust!

Reversing a four-wheel trailer ain't easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    It reminds me of an old David Brown 950 diesel tractor I had on the farm that was purely used as a front-end loader.
    Ah, David Brown! The first vehicle I ever drove was a Cropmaster (A REAL David Brown!), like this:

It was paraffin (kerosene?) powered, but as paraffin is not very volatile,it had to be started & warmed up on petrol; switching back to petrol with a hot engine produced some pretty impressive flames out of the exhaust!

Reversing a four-wheel trailer ain't easy!

I have seen a few of the Cropmasters around in NZ. I also remember driving a John Deere or was it is a Fergy of some vintage that was started on petrol then switched to kero. I wonder why that was so..was it to do with power output or was it economy? I preferred the exhaust smell of the kero
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Nice!

Tractors are enjoyable as well as practical - something that's hard to say about our other afflictions!
    Back in NZ recently I had to drive a new John Deere 6020 tractor. Amazing changes and the front loader all controlled by a joystick and buttons. I used to like the levers but then progress says otherwise.
    Rex

Nice!

Back in NZ recently I had to drive a new John Deere 6020 tractor. Amazing changes and the front loader all controlled by a joystick and buttons. I used to like the levers but then progress says otherwise.
    I never even heard of Satoh Beaver before I got mine! (It sort of came with the property; bought it from the previous owner when we bought the house, etc. )

I also remember driving a John Deere or was it is a Fergy of some vintage that was started on petrol then switched to kero. I wonder why that was so..was it to do with power output or was it economy? I preferred the exhaust smell of the kero
    I think it was done for economy, as paraffin, or Tractor Vaporising Oil (TVO) was cheaper, mainly because of lower taxation, than petrol. Power output on TVO may have been lower than on petrol.

Nowadays it's all diesel. Farmers & others whose vehicles are not used on the road don't pay fuel tax on their (red-dyed) diesel; of course, red diesel never accidentally finds its way into any farmer's road vehicles.......

I also remember driving a John Deere or was it is a Fergy of some vintage that was started on petrol then switched to kero. I wonder why that was so..was it to do with power output or was it economy? I preferred the exhaust smell of the kero
    I think it was done for economy, as paraffin, or Tractor Vaporising Oil (TVO) was cheaper, mainly because of lower taxation, than petrol. Power output on TVO may have been lower than on petrol.

Nowadays it's all diesel. Farmers & others whose vehicles are not used on the road don't pay fuel tax on their (red-dyed) diesel; of course, red diesel never accidentally finds its way into any farmer's road vehicles.......
    'course not!

But be careful. It's safe to try that in a small pick-up, let's say. But do it in a big rig and you are asking for a lotta trouble if they bust you!

But be careful. It's safe to try that in a small pick-up, let's say. But do it in a big rig and you are asking for a lotta trouble if they bust you!
    Round here it's the small pickups, vans etc., that are targeted when Customs & Excise go on the prowl. A few months ago a big multi-agency exercise was set up locally. They caught all sorts of miscreants - road vehicles running on red diesel, illegal immigrants, disqualified drivers, people working while claiming unemployment benefit, etc,. etc, in many cases a combination of several of those!

I remember in the 70's hitchhiking in an old Transit van. The folks there had farmer friends and filled up with diesel from the farm pump. There was heaps of news paper behind the front seat of the van.....when I asked why I was told you will see why. I took a turn at driving and when it started raining I knew why.The newspaper was used to block a rust hole in the floor/wheel well otherwise there was this stream of water flying past my right ear. What fun!
    Rex

D_E_Davis

In that picture, what is the machine doing with a number plate? Does even farm machinery in the UK require road registration, and (if so) how are thing handled such as windshield wipers, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

In that picture, what is the machine doing with a number plate? Does even farm machinery in the UK require road registration, and (if so) how are thing handled such as windshield wipers, etc?

In NZ registration is required for tractors that are used on the road.... "E" plates are used mainly to cover for personal accident insurance. There are limits as to how far from the registered address that a vehicle can be driven.

Not sure of the rules here in OZ
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    For normal road use agricultural vehicles must be road registered. However, if they are only driven on the road between fields or premises belonging to their owner registration is not required. I'm not familiar with the regulations on lights, wipers, etc., but I wouldn't think they are anything like as stringent as they are for cars.

mrblanche

Nor does it find its way into trucks, here. The fine is $10,000 per day per incident.

I pumped some into one of our refer trailers this weekend. Been a while since I've even seen any. No one wants to run any risk of accidentally getting it in the truck's tanks.

"Nor does it find its way into trucks, here. The fine is $10,000 per day per incident."

That's got to hurt... I wouldn't mess with it, either!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Nor does it find its way into trucks, here. The fine is $10,000 per day per incident.

I pumped some into one of our refer trailers this weekend. Been a while since I've even seen any. No one wants to run any risk of accidentally getting it in the truck's tanks.
    There is yet another scam available although not quite so money saving: the company gas tank. I know people whose businesses can justify (maybe) an on site tank but they use the fuel mainly in personal vehicles which are also charged to the business - they are at least consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

In New Zealand it is a different system ...no dyes in the diesel.

The law says that owners of vehicles powered by a fuel that isn't taxed at source (eg, diesel, electricity), regardless of the weight of the vehicle, must pay road user charges. Vehicles with a manufacturer's gross laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes (3,500 kg) also incur road user charges.
    http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/38.html

I used to pay about 1.9cents per kilometre for my Pug.
    Rex