Thread: Last "real" muscle car?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Last "real" muscle car?

Some would argue that a muscle car must have the following attributes to qualify (otherwise, it's something else entirely):

* Large displacement V-8 engine (Nothing smaller than 350 cubic inches or 5.7 liters makes the cut)

* No electronic traction or stability controls of any kind

* Power output disproportionate to braking/handling ability

Under these rules (which I agree with!), the last car to qualify was the 1979 Pontiac Trans-Am and Formula Firebird equipped with the 400 V-8 and 4-speed manual transmission.

It may not have been the fastest, or most powerful - but it was most definitely a muscle car - and arguably, the very last of the species....

Thoughts?

Re: Last "real" muscle car?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Some would argue that a muscle car must have the following attributes to qualify (otherwise, it's something else entirely):

* Large displacement V-8 engine (Nothing smaller than 350 cubic inches or 5.7 liters makes the cut)

Under these rules (which I agree with!), the last car to qualify was the 1979 Pontiac Trans-Am and Formula Firebird equipped with the 400 V-8 and 4-speed manual transmission.

It may not have been the fastest, or most powerful - but it was most definitely a muscle car - and arguably, the very last of the species....

Thoughts?
    Australian Holden and Ford had cars of those vintages whcih fall into those categories I think.

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

Thoughts?
    Australian Holden and Ford had cars of those vintages whcih fall into those categories I think.

Yes! Some were pretty neat - even if they did (in some cases) have four doors!

Yes! Some were pretty neat - even if they did (in some cases) have four doors!
    Only Holden ventured back into the 2 door coupe version recently with the Monaro / Pontiac GTO.....now canned
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Eric,

Have to agree with you the '79 W72 400 Trans Am & Formula were the last "real" muscle cars. I think Car & Driver said it best when it test drove a '79 W72 400 Trans Am back in 1979 and wrote "This Time Will Never Pass This Way Again".

And the performance was there to match the cubic inches. Hot Rod test drove a stock '79 W72 Trans Am and achieved a 1/4 mile time of 14.6 seconds @ 96.6 mph which is a time that was even impressive back in the Muscle Car glory days - 1965 - 1971. Truth be known with a trap speed of 96.6 mph on a 4,000 lbs car that equates to around 290 flywheel horsepower (net) which makes its factory rating of 220 horsepower very underrated. Also NHRA rated the stock '77 - '79 W72 400 at 260 horsepower.

I remember blasting through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel in a '79 T/A 6.6 10th Anniversary car (my college buddy's) at around 125 mph with the t-tops off and the exhaust reverberating off the ceramic tile walls of the tunnel.

It was something I'llnever forget!

Would have liked to have seen that. I imagine the sound of Pontiac 400 through the stock dual resonators was a real treat at 120 mph as it reverberated off the tunnel walls. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man
    Would have liked to have seen that. I imagine the sound of Pontiac 400 through the stock dual resonators was a real treat at 120 mph as it reverberated off the tunnel walls. ;D
    It was something! We made it up to NYC in under 3 hours... flying!