Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It must be a New Age

It must be a New Age

Heavens!

Lorna and I found ourselves singing The Star Spangled Banner this morning.

Since we are both foreign and British, this must be sign.

Hillary must be gonna bring us a new age of peace, prosperity, respect and understanding.

mrblanche

Re: It must be a New Age

Those of us who knew her from her Arkansas days have our doubts...

Oh.

It must be the insufferable heat then. 29C today.

We haven't found ourselves singing Bluegrass.Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Heavens!

Hillary must be gonna bring us a new age of peace, prosperity, respect and understanding.
    Nobody can sing the SSB, at best it is croaked or rasped.

Perhaps a heathen furriner but you are no more British than I.

As far as Hillary is concerned, it might be OK to have her as president; I am too old to be seriously harmed by anything she might do and will surely enjoy the controversy. If one can't have great government, one can at least have amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Nobody can sing the SSB, at best it is croaked or rasped.

Perhaps a heathen furriner but you are no more British than I.

As far as Hillary is concerned, it might be OK to have her as president; I am too old to be seriously harmed by anything she might do and will surely enjoy the controversy. If one can't have great government, one can at least have amusement.
    I think that amusement is what polies are in power for. however some of it gets fairly serious
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

D_E_Davis

Oh. It must be the insufferable heat then. 29C today.

We haven't found ourselves singing Bluegrass.Yet.
    Be thankful that it is a mere 29, which is barely warm. As I write it is SNOWING here, a 5 cm accumulation, with an air temp of 1C. Something is not right, I tell you, something is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

I think that amusement is what polies are in power for. however some of it gets fairly serious
    That's why Aussies have such keenly developed senses of humor, so they can keep laughing when some fool in government actually tries do do something.

OZ must be doing something right, it has far more recognition and influence than one might expect from a nation of its population and in its location.

mrblanche

I see they at least have some concept of what to do with illegal aliens.

I've always thought Aussies were Texans with a funny accent, but I see their automotive laws for hot rods are just unbelievably strict.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Those of us who knew her from her Arkansas days have our doubts...
    She's even worse than The Chimp - and I dread to imagine what she'd do if elected with the precedents set and powers created by him. This may well prove to be the single worst legacy of his administration.

mrblanche

Only if you let it be. People who vote for the opposition just to punish someone on their own side really deserve what they get through those votes. For example, you said you voted for Kerry, and I got the impression you voted Democrat in this last election. Happy with the results so far? Are they making you any more free? Giving you any more liberties? Lowering your taxes? Reducing the police state? Reducing unfunded mandates?

Think, man, before you make a protest vote!

No, you're foreign, but not British! :P

"Only if you let it be. "

What choice is there? You've got Republicans (as currently constituted), the equivalent of brain cancer - or the Dems., and Hantavirus. Some choice!

"People who vote for the opposition just to punish someone on their own side really deserve what they get through those votes. For example, you said you voted for Kerry, and I got the impression you voted Democrat in this last election. Happy with the results so far? "

Yes. The Chimp is facing real opposition for the first time and has had to back away from his warrantless wiretaps. Hooray for that! It's also likely we'll be able to avoid a war with Iran - maybe.

And in VA., Webb has been a big improvement over Allen.

Heavens!

I know you are foreign (to me, at least), but you aren't really British, are you? I thought you were Antipodean. or nearly so, at least (I know, Antipodes Island is roughly SE of EnZed).

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    You probably don't recall that Virginia was "the gestapo state" when it came to speed limits, and especially truck speed limits, as long as they had a Democrat for governor. They refused to raise the speed limits (despite Gail's work) until a Republican was elected. And that was true in a number of states.

But I keep saying, change is usually good, at least in the short run. Enjoy it now; you may not, a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    You probably don't recall that Virginia was "the gestapo state" when it came to speed limits, and especially truck speed limits, as long as they had a Democrat for governor. They refused to raise the speed limits (despite Gail's work) until a Republican was elected. And that was true in a number of states.

But I keep saying, change is usually good, at least in the short run. Enjoy it now; you may not, a year from now.
    What has any of that to do with Webb - or the question of holding The Chimp to account?

mrblanche

So far, I haven't seen any of what you're talking about. Webb used to be a Republican, and he may be able to pretend to be a Democrat long enough to get elected. Who knows what will happen a year from now?

But so far, the Democrats have no majority in the Senate, and have accomplished nothing there, and have only gone back to doing in the House what they did before 1994, which got them thrown out in 1994.

Maybe we'll be lucky, and both houses will do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

That's why Aussies have such keenly developed senses of humor, so they can keep laughing when some fool in government actually tries do do something.

OZ must be doing something right, it has far more recognition and influence than one might expect from a nation of its population and in its location.
    Maybe that it only because it is the world's biggest island ;D
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    As I write it is SNOWING here, a 5 cm accumulation, with an air temp of 1C. Something is not right, I tell you, something is not right.

Sounds quite pleasant to me. A Britcar would go well in such air.

Lawdy do I miss my old Britcars. Buiding the engines, all that stuff. People have it too easy nowadays. The biggest fault of the GM V8 is that it does everything perfectly well. Next, people will choose to go by air, and then where would we be?

"So far, I haven't seen any of what you're talking about. Webb used to be a Republican, and he may be able to pretend to be a Democrat long enough to get elected. Who knows what will happen a year from now?"

Webb's victory got rid of Allen - a Chimp ally; his departure (along with others of that ilk such as Santorum) have made it much harder for The Chimp to pursue his idiot policies in Iraq. That's for openers. I also like that Webb snubbed The Chimp when The Chimp feigned interest in Webb's son. I like that. Straight talk. We need mor - and less BS deference to The Chimp "because he's the president." An ass in office does not suddenly become less an ass, etc.

"But so far, the Democrats have no majority in the Senate, and have accomplished nothing there, and have only gone back to doing in the House what they did before 1994, which got them thrown out in 1994."

In the House they passed an increase in the minimum wage; certainly important legislation. Had the GOP retained control, that would not have happened. And the Dems being in majority surely caused The Chimp to back away from his warrantless wiretaps, too.

mrblanche

In the House they passed an increase in the minimum wage; certainly important legislation. Had the GOP retained control, that would not have happened. And the Dems being in majority surely caused The Chimp to back away from his warrantless wiretaps, too.

You really DON'T do any research or study on your own, do you?

Have you forgotten that the House DID pass a minimum wage increase before the elections?

And the term "warrantless wiretaps" is pretty misleading, too.