Thread: Is Ford doomed?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Is Ford doomed?

I think the company will survive - at least insome form. But I think a major restructuring is inevitable. Mercury will probably disappear (as it should; it was a fine brand but today is as irrelevant as Oldsmobile was at the end). Lincoln may need to be rebuilt from the ground up - especially if the MKX, MKZ and new Navigator aren't successful.

My bet is there will be a downsizing/partnership with another large automaker before 2010.

What do you guys think is going to happen?

Re: Is Ford doomed?

I think it will survive, but as you say severe restructuring.

Ford Australia may have to rethink if it can stand alone with the Falcon , although in 2008 there is a new platform for it here and this will be LHD and RHD capable. Holden has the edge there in being able export it's Commodore platform already in LHD.
    I have been always amazed that Ford Australia has not thought outside the RHD sphere.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Ford will not disappear, it's a political impossibility.

At the same time, there is probably more stupidity on the horizon.

Ford will very likely 'improve' the Lincoln and lose the black car market which it virtually owns; at the same time, it will 'improve' the Crown Vic and lose the police and taxi markets.

What Detroit really needs to do is to get rid of present day dealer arrangements (another political impossibility) and find some new ways to sell cars.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

What Detroit really needs to do is to get rid of present day dealer arrangements (another political impossibility) and find some new ways to sell cars.
    Do the Daewoo thing as in NZ ......it was all doen by telephone....but for some reason there were problems. I can't remember what.. Rob may be able to enlighten us.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

I don't understand you Eric.

You want to buy American goods, and yet there are more and more reasons for US companies to manufacture offshore.

If you want to support US communities call it local subsidy and be done with it, because no way will Americans work for Chinese wages. Local subsidies never work long term, unless you have wars and other disruptions to global trade.

There is a cherished US ethic of self reliance and self defence. If you are anti-trade say so.

The only things NZ sells these days are things we can do or make better than anyone else... or rarely, cheaper.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"You want to buy American goods, and yet there are more and more reasons for US companies to manufacture offshore."

These "reasons" are, in my opinion, going to be the ruin of the country. I am opposed to the "free trade" shibboleth that is eating away this country's manufacturing base.

"If you want to support US communities call it local subsidy and be done with it, because no way will Americans work for Chinese wages. Local subsidies never work long term, unless you have wars and other disruptions to global trade."

I disagree. A nationalist economic policy would prevent the Chinese (as an example) from leveraging their low-wage (slave wage) labor against us. The root problem is the vile idea of international "coporate ctizenship." Corporations should be compelled to serve the national interest, not their bottom line. This usedto be the way our economy operated - and it worked extremely well, resulting in unprecedented prosperity - not just for a handful of CEOs (who, incidentally, were paid orders of magnitude less than CEOs today) but also for average workers.

"There is a cherished US ethic of self reliance and self defence. If you are anti-trade say so."

I am anti-vulture capitalist.