Thread: Bikers and auto drivers split on lane sharing

gail

Bikers and auto drivers split on lane sharing

Bikers and auto drivers split on lane sharing

By Kelli Phillips

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?s_site=contracostatimes&p_multi=CC|&p_pro duct=CC&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdo cs=200&p_text_search-0=Bikers%20AND%20auto%20AND%20drivers%20AND%20spli t%20AND%20on%20AND%20lane%20AND%20sharing&s_dispst ring=Bikers%20and%20auto%20drivers%20split%20on%20 lane%20sharing%20AND%20date(last%20180%20days)&p_f ield_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=-180qzD&xcal_numdocs=20&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_dat e&xcal_useweights=no

D_E_Davis

Re: Bikers and auto drivers split on lane sharing

Where that link once went to, it no longer does.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

I'm a rider - and I would not lane split even if it were legal in my state; too many oblivious/incompetent cagers out there. Sure, you may be in the right if you do it (where legal) but if a cage pulls out in front of you as its owner jockeys for position, you will be the loser nonetheless!

D_E_Davis

Curiously enough it seems to me that the most usual lane splitters are the police - even more common in CA than here. Of course, in CA the biker who doesn't lane-split is the exception.

I lane split on the bike, but only at very low speeds & with my left thumb resting on the horn button! I find that, in heavy traffic around 60% of car drivers will move over to allow biles to filter through, 39% aren't aware of the existence of bikes, the remaining 1% will move over to block a bike's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    I lane split on the bike, but only at very low speeds & with my left thumb resting on the horn button! I find that, in heavy traffic around 60% of car drivers will move over to allow biles to filter through, 39% aren't aware of the existence of bikes, the remaining 1% will move over to block a bike's progress.
    It's those last two that worry me... and as you know, even a low-speed impact (what would be at worst a minor fender bender for two cars) can result in major damage to a bike - and its rider. Not worth it to me. I ride as if all cars were out to kill me!

I only share when travelling at low speeds in stop start traffic......most mornings on my return from the gym

Never at speed as in the photograph..... I value my life
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

DonTom

and I would not lane split even if it were legal in my state;

It's legal in CA (not sure about here in NV) but I only do it when the cars are at a complete stop and then I go at about 20 MPH or so.

I might have mentioned before that I ride a bike much like a little old lady (but sometimes I get the feeling that Gail is a speed freq on the road!) ;D

But I am surprised that you ( Eric) would not lane split even if it were legal.

-Don-

"But I am surprised that you ( Eric) would not lane split even if it were legal. "

I ride (and drive) fast - but I am not a reckless person, nor do I have a death wish!

Speed does not equate with higher risk - per se. It's injudicious speed that gets you into trouble!

As far as lane splitting: It's dangerous because you have no control over the actions of others; you can be the best rider in the world - and be doing everything perfectly (legally as well as otherwise, in terms of your riding technique) and still have some cell phone yakking boob who can't be btroubled to check his rearview mirror decide, on a whim, to just pull out without signalling - blam, you are on the ground. Your bike's damaged - and you may have a broken wrist, arm, leg - or worse.

There's an element of uncontrolled risk involved that just gives me the heebie jeebies...

At least bike riders don't do in the U.S. what they do in India - completely ignoring traffic signals, pulling out in front of traffic without stopping or looking, driving on the wrong side of the road, failing to yield when they should. The obscene level of traffic congestion on the roads makes two wheelers the favored mode of transport, because it makes it easy to duck out of or around traffic jams, but they're truly a menace due to their riders' blatant disregard for traffic rules. Compared to that, I can deal with a little lane-splitting or hot rodding!