Thread: On the subject of retreaded truck tires...

mrblanche

On the subject of retreaded truck tires...

here's an article about a move by a state senator in Florida.

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../013007_05.htm

First, he needs to be educated about retreads. Then, he needs to do something useful, like maybe an alarm on each tire that's underinflated?

By the way, most trucks with the new super wide singles have such a system.

D_E_Davis

Re: On the subject of retreaded truck tires...

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    First, he needs to be educated about retreads.
    Provided, that is, if he's capable of comprehanding that education.

mrblanche

Well, at least he was realistic enough to recognize that his bill has virtually no chance of becoming law.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    here's an article about a move by a state senator in Florida.

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../013007_05.htm

First, he needs to be educated about retreads. Then, he needs to do something useful, like maybe an alarm on each tire that's underinflated?

By the way, most trucks with the new super wide singles have such a system.
    Another bloody polie! Hell I hope that message doesn't get down here. Retreads in my experience are as good a a new tyre, unless the original casing has been damaged. I think early retreads did come apart, but systems improved.

Truckies here would revolt I am sure if similar laws were propsed in OZ
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

MikeHalloran

He said his intent was to open a dialogue. I'm not sure what venue would be appropriate, but maybe a dialogue would be a good thing.

I have no idea if they were retreads or not, but I see a fair amount of detritus from failed truck tires on Florida highways, mostly intact or nearly intact treads not showing obvious wear.

Maybe it's the heat, or the high average speeds, or the projectiles in the road.

I've averaged more than one puncture per year for 29 years in FL, against a total of not more than five in Northern states in a similar period before that. Maybe we should sweep the roads regularly.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    I have no idea if they were retreads or not, but I see a fair amount of detritus from failed truck tires on Florida highways, mostly intact or nearly intact treads not showing obvious wear.

Maybe it's the heat, or the high average speeds, or the projectiles in the road.
    For me it's difficult to determine if a hunk of rubber debris is from a truck tire or from a passenger/SUV tire, when I'm flying by at freeway speeds. I know the automatic conclusion is that it came from a truck, but others challenge that view. I can say that those treads thrown off are almost always caused by underinflation, with a subsequent heat buildup to destruction.

mrblanche

He said his intent was to open a dialogue. I'm not sure what venue would be appropriate, but maybe a dialogue would be a good thing.

The problem is that the debate has already been held, and the results are in. Truck tires, whether retreads or virgin treads, fail due to heat, almost always caused by underinflation.

As I said earlier, here's one hint. If you see wires sticking out of the piece of tread on the road, it wasn't a retread failure.

Underinflation is the big problem, and most large companies have a program in place to check and correct inflation problems on a regular basis.

MikeHalloran

The radius makes it clear the treads are not from Minis.

;----

So, the large outfits have programs in place. I wonder about the low- buck one- truck outfits?

We've got scales at the borders, and special DOT cops roaming the roads, and if I understand correctly truckers are required to have tire gages in their possession. Do they need an incentive to use them?

D_E_Davis

We've got scales at the borders, and special DOT cops roaming the roads, and if I understand correctly truckers are required to have tire gages in their possession. Do they need an incentive to use them?
    Think in-state. Local moving vans, dump trucks, local delivery - none of these are regulated or watched like the interstate trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

For me it's difficult to determine if a hunk of rubber debris is from a truck tire or from a passenger/SUV tire, when I'm flying by at freeway speeds. I know the automatic conclusion is that it came from a truck, but others challenge that view. I can say that those treads thrown off are almost always caused by underinflation, with a subsequent heat buildup to destruction.
    I tend to check my motorbike tyres every 10 days, my 4WD about 3 weeks
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia