Thread: Pontiac G8

Staff

Pontiac G8

On another unnamed website, I have seen picutres of the upcoming RWD Pontiac G8 sedan. It will have a 3.6LV6 with 261 HP standard and a 6.0L 361 HP V8. This car is a badge engineered Holden car based on GMs Zeta platform.

I like the darned thing. I hope they price it below $25,000 for the base model. I'm in there if they do. The only thing I will be doing battle is GM's instistance on putting On-Star in the thing. I will have it removed the day I take delivery. Of course, I probably won't buy it, but its nice to dream....

Re: Pontiac G8

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    On another unnamed website, I have seen picutres of the upcoming RWD Pontiac G8 sedan. It will have a 3.6LV6 with 261 HP standard and a 6.0L 361 HP V8. This car is a badge engineered Holden car based on GMs Zeta platform.

I like the darned thing. I hope they price it below $25,000 for the base model. I'm in there if they do. The only thing I will be doing battle is GM's instistance on putting On-Star in the thing. I will have it removed the day I take delivery. Of course, I probably won't buy it, but its nice to dream....
    Google.... VE Commodore to see the Holden version, I think the interior will be basically the same as we get down here
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat

Yes, it's nice to see Pontiac finally returning to RWD... but it may be too late (like the Camaro) to turn things around. I personally think GM should introduce the car - and slowly retire the brand. I think the superfluous, unprofitable range of current Pontiacs will drag down the one or two good models, etc.

The whol thing needs to be restructured. I see no way the "Sloan model" of 6-7 full-line divisions can work unless GM can regain at least 40 percent of the U.S. car market - and that's highly unlikely...

Staff

For its size, GM probably has too many divisions, but, I don't think all is lost for Pontiac yet. Cadillac was moribund a few years ago and look at them now. Cadillac has its best product lineup in at least 40 years. When Cadillac was "standard of the world," standards were a lot lower. Cadillac is as close as it has been in 50 years.

The Pontiac G6 is a decent car and the G8 looks like it will be a winner as well. Unfortunately, the days of building good cars in the United States is over. They are being imported from Europe, and Austrailia and being badged as Saturn and Pontiac.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"Cadillac was moribund a few years ago and look at them now. "

Yes, but there is a key difference in that GM has to have a luxury brand; but does it need a "sporty" brand, too? If so, why are Corvettes and Camaros and the various SS models in the Chevy lineup?

If it were my call, I would gradually begin referring to all GM vehicles (except Caddilacs) as "GM" vehicles;subsume the whole range under one roof. Keep the various logos on the dealership sign (in smaller print, in montage form) and in this way discretely eliminate all these superfluous, overlapping divisions!

TC

I agree with most of what you say, but I would not keep all the various logos.
    Only GM.
    That is all that is needed, IMO.

For a change we should copy the Japanese. Or would that be too humiliating?
    I don't think so, considering we have been humiliated already by them in the auto industry.