Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George Dubya to the ark- all aboard!!!

George Dubya to the ark- all aboard!!!

Some Aussie humour for your enjoyment

http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/...ash.php?id=159
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: George Dubya to the ark- all aboard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

With luck, just 22 months to go... !

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

A great website, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Admit you were wrong to vote Bush and wrong to deny global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Admit you were wrong to vote Bush and wrong to deny global warming.
    Two thirds of th country now admit to the first, at least!

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    As did 80% of the country at the end of Harry Truman's administration. And look at him now!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    As did 80% of the country at the end of Harry Truman's administration. And look at him now!

To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen:

The Chimp ain't no Harry Truman! (He's not even a Warren Harding, for that matter...)

mrblanche

Well, see, that's the point. Had you been around in 1952, you might have been saying that Truman was no Warren G. Harding.

See, the real problem is perspective, and at this point, there just isn't any. So I'll guess we'll just have to wait for 40 or 50 years, won't we?

And, as I pointed out (and as you can discover with very little research), what was said about Ford when he was President is very different from what is being said now. At the time, there was serious talk of impeaching him.

And Jimmy Carter, who was so popular during much of his term, is slowly sliding down the scale of Presidential history.

Lincoln, had their been popularity polls in his time, would have been very close to the bottom of the scale, and yet he's considered great now.

So, really, I just don't worry about your crazed invective, because it doesn't really mean anything, in the long term. And neither of us knows what the next 20 years of history may bring about.

Staff

The thing is, compared to the way things will likely look 20 years from now, we will all likely be waxing nostalgic about how great things were during the Bush administration.

I never voted for the guy, nor did I vote for his demonratic opponents. If anyone thinks that Gore or Kerry would have been better, you likely need your heads examined.

There's only two positions that I agree with Bush on concerning policy. One is oil drilling off the coasts and in ANWR and the other is in opposing the Kyoto Protocol. If you truly believe that global warming is a problem, not including China and India in this accord is like using a band-aid to cure a gunshot.

>>So, really, I just don't worry about your crazed invective, because it doesn't really mean anything, in the long term. And neither of us knows what the next 20 years of history may bring about.<<

Read this article----
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...584795,00.html

"See, the real problem is perspective, and at this point, there just isn't any."

You have to be putting me on!

"Perspective" about the debacle that is Iraq?

If you think The chimp's a Lincoln a'borning (or even a Truman), you are welcome that view!

mrblanche

"Perspective" about the debacle that is Iraq?
    To you, it was a "debacle" before it ever started, so, no, you don't have any perspective on it.

I have some guesses about how things will be seen down the road, having gone back and read some then-current news reports of past events, then looking at how they're seen now. But they're only guesses.

I have to say I'm pleased that my predictions at the time that Carter would be considered a failure by historians is coming true. And I have to admit that Ford's current treatment is somewhat of a surprise. So you never know.

"To you, it was a "debacle" before it ever started, so, no, you don't have any perspective on it."

First, that's utterly irrelevant to the question, is it a debacle? (It surely is; and isn't something that my "perspective" has turned out to be the correct one? Virtually no one outside the reality-free zone inside the Chimp Palace believes the situation is anything other than a massive debacle; a policy failure of staggering proportions. GOP leaders included.)

Second, I and others feared this would happen for reasons that were clear to any person with even a passing grasp of the region, the politics involved and so on. The idiot notion that we could "democratize" a strife-torn multi-ethnic/religious state by dint of sheer dogma alone (to say nothing of the imbecility that we would be greeted "as liberators") beggars belief. This president has zero credibility anbd should be contained by whatever means necessary - before he can do further damage. He absolutely cannot be trusted or left unobserved for the remainder of his term.)

Neither Carter nor Ford presided over anything like the awful debacle that The Chimp has created in Iraq; there is in fact nothing short of the Vietnam debacle that remotely compares - and arguably, the repercussions from Vietnam were less severe than what the repercussions from this mess will be.

"If I did not love my country, I would not loathe George Bush"

TC

I have some guesses about how things will be seen down the road, having gone back and read some then-current news reports of past events, then looking at how they're seen now. But they're only guesses.

I have to say I'm pleased that my predictions at the time that Carter would be considered a failure by historians is coming true. And I have to admit that Ford's current treatment is somewhat of a surprise. So you never know.
    The views of historians that give opinions down the road are meaningless and can only be used for entertainment purposes.

mrblanche

Well, I wouldn't use the term debacle. Badly managed, no doubt.

But anyone who remembers scenes from the fall of Saigon, such as the shooting down of a cargo plane leaving Saigon full of orphans, can even remotely compare that to the current situation. I hope things improve enough in Iraq to at least be able to point out that we didn't abandon them when the going got tough, as we did the Vietnamese.

The situation Harry Truman left in Korea damaged our reputation enough, and heaven knows current events show that MacArthur may have had the right idea at the time.

"Well, I wouldn't use the term debacle. Badly managed, no doubt."

Even Sens. Warner and Hagel think it's a debacle; they have said so, in public.

"But anyone who remembers scenes from the fall of Saigon, such as the shooting down of a cargo plane leaving Saigon full of orphans, can even remotely compare that to the current situation."

Instead, we have the spectacle of dozens (sometimes hundreds) of Iraqi civilians being blown to bits every day. Is that an improvement? Do you realize how many "9/11s" have been visited upon Iraq to date?

" I hope things improve enough in Iraq to at least be able to point out that we didn't abandon them when the going got tough, as we did the Vietnamese."

If we do, you can thank The Chimp - for getting us to the point we are at now - where the public (and Congress) are (rightly) sick to death of the incompetence, the lies - and the endless carnage for no clear purpose.

mrblanche

You know what? I don't care what congressmen or senators think on this subject. Their interference in Vietnam was one of the major causes of it being the disaster it was, and they're showing right now that they didn't learn the lesson of Vietnam. There are good reasons why the Constitution gives the President command of the military, and not congress.

"You know what? I don't care what congressmen or senators think on this subject."

That's fine; but ultimately, what a majority of the country's elected representatives thinks matters very much indeed! (And let's not forget: How many military commanders have also publicly stated their belief that the thing's a disaster? Does their opinion also not count?)

"Their interference in Vietnam was one of the major causes of it being the disaster it was, and they're showing right now that they didn't learn the lesson of Vietnam."

Are you kidding? The real lesson of Vietnam is not to allow an incompetent "decider" carte blanche, especially when it's clear he's both incompetent andpig-headedly incapable of learning from his mistakes.

You seem to forget that The Chimp had virtual unanimous support for the war for years... until it began to go sour. And it has gone sour only because of The Chimp's errors of judgment, not because of any interference by Congress.

mrblanche

And even today, John McCain supports it. You never did. A lot of senators voted for it because they knew how it would look. Hillary Clinton is in that bunch.

A lot of the mistakes in Vietnam were not caused by the President just making bad military decisions. They were due to him making decisions that he thought were politically acceptable.

It's the difference between Grant and his predecessors. He fought the war that had to be fought in order to win. That made him a good general, but a lousy President.

Just as an example, I mentioned the mines in Haiphong Harbor. The smart thing would have been to lay the mines, then let the chips fall where they may. But announcing it beforehand made the operation basically useless. The former would have resulted in a number of ships owned by "friendly" countries being damaged or sunk, but it would have blocked the harbor and essentially made shipping in supplies impossible. The Senate would have come unglued, too. Can you imagine the phone calls from France?

And as to what any "representative of the people" thinks, remember that a majority of them "thought" there was a good reason for military action in 2002. They now "think" it's politically advantageous not to support the war. But the majority of the people "thought" at the time Saddam had something to do with 9/11. In fact, nearly 50% still do. So that whole deal is just a non-starter with me.

There are good reasons we rarely elect our national legislators to the Presidency, one of them being that by the time they've been there a few years, they've shown that rather than represent what's good for the country and their constituency, they represent what they think will keep them in office.

First, support for the war was based on (at best) erroneous claims; those claims having been shown to be in error, support for the war has evaporated. Add to that the gross incompetence - suffused with a know-it-ll arrogance - and is it any wonder two-rthirds of the country and most of the Congress (both aisles) has had enough?

Moreover: That it is a debacle is not in doubt; the recent report by the federal government's own intelligence agencies, etc. states this rather plainly.

I almost feel bad for you, having to defend the indefensible...