Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compuserve log in?

DonTom

Compuserve log in?

For some strange reason, I can no longer log into the Compuserve / Netscape forum. It seems like it will work, but the "log-in" is always there, as well as "welcome guest" instead of my username "DonTom". So I cannot reply to any messages on CompuServe.

Sometimes I get the error:

"Sorry, an error has occurred (ID: 032-035-25636) Please try your request again." Other times, I get no error at all. However, I always get the above error when I try to reply. This problem started a few days ago and I have not been able to log on successfully even once since then, after countless attempts.

I have tried deleting cookies, that was no help. Anybody else here have a problem logging on CompuServe? I cannot log on there to ask, so I figured I would ask here where things still work fine for me.

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Compuserve log in?

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    For some strange reason, I can no longer log into the Compuserve / Netscape forum. It seems like it will work, but the "log-in" is always there, as well as "welcome guest" instead of my username "DonTom". So I cannot reply to any messages on CompuServe.

Sometimes I get the error:

"Sorry, an error has occurred (ID: 032-035-25636) Please try your request again." Other times, I get no error at all. However, I always get the above error when I try to reply. This problem started a few days ago and I have not been able to log on successfully even once since then, after countless attempts.

I have tried deleting cookies, that was no help. Anybody else here have a problem logging on CompuServe? I cannot log on there to ask, so I figured I would ask here where things still work fine for me.

-Don-
    I have no idea; I no longer have anything to do with CS, etc.

DonTom

It looks like I won't either from now on . . . .

-Don-

It looks like I won't either from now on . . . .

-Don-
    They may have shut down the service; from what I gather, the change to "blogs" has been an unmitigated disaster...

DonTom

They may have shut down the service; from what I gather, the change to "blogs" has been an unmitigated disaster...

The change to what? WTF is "blogs"?

But I see many others who have posted forum messages in the last couple of days which proves they could log on, so why can't I?

This seemed to happen the same time as I was forced to change my E-mail from an AIM to an AOL account. I assume that has something to do with all this.

I used to have a Netscape.net E-mail (DonTom3@netscape.net) then they changed it to DonTom3@AIM.com. And now it's DonTom3@aol.com. It's a free account and all the old E-mails still go to the new one anyway.

-Don-

"Web logs" = "blogs"

This was the format CS/NS went to some seven months ago; it is why our old Autos Forum got dropped (along with the other forums, which for the most part are no longer connected to any CS/NS channels).

mrblanche

It may work to get a free yahoo account and e-mail and use that to log on. That's what I did, but it was a couple of years ago.

DonTom

This was the format CS/NS went to some seven months ago; it is why our old Autos Forum got dropped (along with the other forums, which for the most part are no longer connected to any CS/NS channels).

I still don't understand. What was it that made the auto forum different than the forums that stayed on CS/NS?

-Don-

I still don't understand. What was it that made the auto forum different than the forums that stayed on CS/NS?

-Don-
    The Autos Forum (along with several others) was no longer tied directly to the Channel - the CS/NS main page - which now features "blogs" (user posts) instead. In effect, the Autos forum and others were cast adrift; no more "feed" from the main page, no more active promotion. And in my case, they no longer compensated me for managing the Autos Forum and providing content for it and the channels. I could have kept the old Autos Forum - but that would have entailed working for free, which I couldn't see doing. They, after all, still owned the site - and why should I spend a couple hours per day helping them sell ads, etc? Also, if I stayed, I would have had to abide by CS/NS editorial polcy, etc. - in effect, giving them oversight and control of my work (and without compensation). Not for me!

That's why I launched this site; I'm still not getting paid - but it is "mine" - so I have the editorial freedom to go in any direction I like (which is a form of compensation) and if it ever got to the point of earning some money, then I'd get the benefit of that, not CS!

mrblanche

And what you should do is put up some google ads and make money! I could foresee something like $1-2000 dollars income per month, that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    And what you should do is put up some google ads and make money! I could foresee something like $1-2000 dollars income per month, that way.
    Yeah, I know.. but in all honesty I'm not much of a businessman; the "money stuff" is Greek to me. I don't even know where to begin.

I'm just a cranky rant-writer, after all!

DonTom

and if it ever got to the point of earning some money, then I'd get the benefit of that, not CS!

Are the other forums on Compuserve now working for free? I still don't understand the difference between the forums that are gone compared to the ones that are still there.

I noticed that the RV forum (that also got kicked off of CompuServe) software is much like this here, but has a box for people to make donations. I don't see that here, so how can you make any money?

-Don-

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    True enough. But you COULD be a cranky rant-writer with enough extra income to buy an extra big motorcycle or two every year.

mrblanche

Are the other forums on Compuserve now working for free? I still don't understand the difference between the forums that are gone compared to the ones that are still there.

I noticed that the RV forum (that also got kicked off of CompuServe) software is much like this here, but has a box for people to make donations. I don't see that here, so how can you make any money?

-Don-

I worked for a couple of the forums that actually made money, at one time. When CompuServe started cutting back on such things, because people stopped being interested in paying for such a service by the minute, they both folded. There are internet remnants of both of them.

And CS did have very strict rules, some of which would have at least deleted a lot of messages here.

DonTom

And CS did have very strict rules, some of which would have at least deleted a lot of messages here.

Yep, and it changes a lot from one forum to the next. I am on the staff with CompuServe's military forum and it's quite loose there. After all, we like to use many of the same terms we used in the army . . .

BTW, I was on Compuserve during the 300 bps ascii days when they charged by the minute. I was a member of Compuserve in the mid 1980's.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    True enough. But you COULD be a cranky rant-writer with enough extra income to buy an extra big motorcycle or two every year.
    I agree; I just don't have the background/experience I should have to pursue that angle effectively... and I wish I did, because aside from the money (which would be nice) I'd like to get more exposure for the site, which would bring more people in and make it more entertaining (as well as, hopefully, more useful).

I am looking into things, but this stuff's all new territory for me... .

and if it ever got to the point of earning some money, then I'd get the benefit of that, not CS!

-Don-

The old Autos Forum was "sponsored" - meaning I was paid tomanage it and provide content, etc. Other CS forums are not sponsored; they are managed by people who do it for the fun of it. I can't do that, however. I earn my living by writing my rants - and if I gave them (and my time) for free to CS/NS while charging others, it would not be fair to those I charge (or myself). I explained that to the CS/NS people - and they were very cordial. Who knows, perhaps one day they will hire me back!

DonTom

I earn my living by writing my rants - and if I gave them (and my time) for free to CS/NS while charging others, it would not be fair to those I charge (or myself).

Who do you write for? I mean, who do you sell your info to?

-Don-

I earn my living by writing my rants - and if I gave them (and my time) for free to CS/NS while charging others, it would not be fair to those I charge (or myself).

Who do you write for? I mean, who do you sell your info to?

-Don-
    The Car Connection
    Army Times
    American Spectator
    American Airlines
    Arcamax
    Bottom Line Personal Finance
    Makes & Models

These are my regular outlets; I also freelance for many newspapers, etc.

I don't see any change whatsoever in the two CIS Forums I still attend (Science Fiction and Intelligence (formerly Mensa)).

By "blogs", do you mean the Web-based interface? That interface dates from a couple of years before they finally dropped the Automobiles Forum. I greatly preferred the older interface, too.

Have you tried accessing Compuserve using one of their programs? I have a copy of CIS 4.0.2, which still works (and I use it to delete all the spam in my mailbox once in a while).