Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something other than a tiger in your tank?

Re: Something other than a tiger in your tank?

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Quote Originally Posted by XRocketman1967
    I just finished talking to the Powers To Be( ;D) and they told me the idea is to use their oil first(Middle East)and keep ours as the Trump Card so to speak.
    I worked for a miniscule oil company back in the '80's, when a lot of wells were capped because they just flat became uneconomical. We couldn't produce oil for $12 a barrel in a lot of the fields we explored. We figured most would cost 3 times that.

I say burn the Middle East oil until they run out, then pay the big bucks to Americans for their oil.
    What was it that made that oil so expensive to produce?

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    What was it that made that oil so expensive to produce?
    We had one well that produced 12 quarts of oil before it collapsed. That one had a pour point about 5 degrees above ambient at that depth, so it would have required steam injection (in addition a a lot more research into the sands of the stratum, to know how to frac it successfully). Another well produced oil so pure you could run it as fuel in your diesel engine, but it produces 13 barrels of water for every barrel of oil.

These are typical problems in a new field, by the way.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Another well produced oil so pure you could run it as fuel in your diesel engine, but it produces 13 barrels of water for every barrel of oil.
    Another example of production expenses comes from LA-Long Beach (CA) harbor. For every barrel that is produced by Thums a barrel of saltwater must be injected, in order to prevent any more subsidence as was present in the late 40s. And not just plain saltwater, either, but that which has been cleaned of all organic matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    That's what they're intended to be, though. No one seriosuly believes either hybrids or ethanol will replace gas. The idea is to diversify the portfolio, so to speak.

Hybrids - esp. high efficiency ones designed for mileage, not performance - with "plug in" technology can deliver a realistic 100 mpg. That does not strike me as a "scam." The technology is proven and workable; as the cost comes down, these plug-ins will become more commonplace.

Ethanol/alcohol has some potential to put a significant dent in our use of foreign oil - and I'd say that's a good thing, wouldn't you?
    One thing that no one has mentioned yet is that developing an ethanol production capability would be a strategic move against OPEC. If they know that we have the ability to replace some or all of the oil they sell us, they would be forced into reducing their prices to make their product more attractive.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    That's what they're intended to be, though. No one seriosuly believes either hybrids or ethanol will replace gas. The idea is to diversify the portfolio, so to speak.

Hybrids - esp. high efficiency ones designed for mileage, not performance - with "plug in" technology can deliver a realistic 100 mpg. That does not strike me as a "scam." The technology is proven and workable; as the cost comes down, these plug-ins will become more commonplace.

Ethanol/alcohol has some potential to put a significant dent in our use of foreign oil - and I'd say that's a good thing, wouldn't you?
    One thing that no one has mentioned yet is that developing an ethanol production capability would be a strategic move against OPEC. If they know that we have the ability to replace some or all of the oil they sell us, they would be forced into reducing their prices to make their product more attractive.

Chip H.
    Problem is - ethanol takes almost as much energy to produce as it provides. The only way it could have a real effect is if we were used biomass energy to produce the fuel instead of petroleum products.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"Problem is - ethanol takes almost as much energy to produce as it provides. The only way it could have a real effect is if we were used biomass energy to produce the fuel instead of petroleum products."

Which could be done; also, it's necessary to use petroleum to create alcohol fuels - see the example of Brazil, for one.