Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota in NASCAR

Toyota in NASCAR

Looks like their car got impounded for tear-down after a foreign substance was found in the intake manifold.
    Is this a case of NASCAR being vindictive against a foreign maker, or are they really concerned?

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Toyota in NASCAR

They might simply be insulted by an unsophisticated effort. I think that cheating at NASCAR is a fine old tradition and probably very highly refined.

mrblanche

After all, NASCAR's vehicles ARE state of the art...1965!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I think the bodies conform to current shapes but that is shape only. As to the running gear, I wonder how much is really derived from 'stock' and how much is 'roll your own.' Maybe I'll do a search.

mrblanche

I have proposed my solution to NASCAR. They need to use actual stock body panels and the drive train configuration available on the showroom floor. The engines need to be derived from the actual engine that powers the stock car.

The tubular frames and roll cages are inevitable, I guess.

There was a time NASCAR races were actually won by rental cars!

After looking around, it's clear that you are correct. There is nothing in NASCAR that much different to that which existed in 1965. Perhaps a refinement here and there but nothing basic.

A lot has been in the area of flow improvement, something that Robbie was doing with no more than sandpaper and a Dremel tool.

mrblanche

True. And I think the racing would be much more exciting with cars going 50 mph slower.

mrblanche

I see that NASCAR first confiscated the Toyota and the manifold, then returned the car and let its speed stand.

A number of the crews got into serious trouble, over things that are too esoteric for me to understand.

I haven't been able to find out any more, other than the oily substance in the manifold was just that.
    I expect the crews are in trouble for not following some obscure rule.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

True. And I think the racing would be much more exciting with cars going 50 mph slower.
    Probably but they would then last that much longer. Dirt track racing is less disciplined and more fun to watch - most I think is on a shoe string budget and very local.

>>True. And I think the racing would be much more exciting with cars going 50 mph slower.<<

Especially if the cars were pure stock production without any modifications!

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Probably but they would then last that much longer. Dirt track racing is less disciplined and more fun to watch - most I think is on a shoe string budget and very local.
    We have a bunch of local tracks, all of them dirt. They race everything from mini-stocks (stuff like Pintos and Vegas, etc., usually raced by high-school kids) all the way up to Sprints, which are so fast they're scary.

No super-modifieds in the area, that I know of.

Most are IMCA sponsored, which my brother claims stands for "I Musta Crashed Again."

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

NASCAR is the pro wrestling of motorsports!]

We have a bunch of local tracks, all of them dirt. They race everything from mini-stocks (stuff like Pintos and Vegas, etc., usually raced by high-school kids) all the way up to Sprints, which are so fast they're scary.

No super-modifieds in the area, that I know of.

Most are IMCA sponsored, which my brother claims stands for "I Musta Crashed Again."
    My area is sadly, no doubt due to urban tastes and the price of land.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    NASCAR is the pro wrestling of motorsports!
    Excellent description but I do think that the outcomes are honest.

mrblanche

I could point you to the websites of some of the local tracks, and believe me, those amateurs take themselves seriously, sometimes. But it is "touchy-feely" racing, and using the guy ahead of you to slow down instead of using your own brakes is not even given a second thought.

I grew up going to Englewood Speedway, in Denver. Well, in Englewood, but what's the difference? It was a paved track, and had the modifieds, etc. It also had figure-8 stocks, which were just too exciting.

Now, a track north of Denver has taken up the mantle from Englewood (where the land got too valuable) and Lakeside (where the residences got too close). My favorite races up there are the "trains." They race on the paved figure eight, with 3 cars connected together with tow bars. The front car has the accelerator and the steering wheel, the rear car has the brakes. The middle car is just along for the ride, and is driverless.

I can find some websites where it's mentioned, but no photos.

Here's a video of figure 8 racing without the added cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDpVmWshvqI

I've watched figure-8 racing on TV but have never seen it in the 'real.' Trains I've never heard of until now, are they at all common?

mrblanche

I found about 10 tracks with web sites listing them.

I found about 10 tracks with web sites listing them.
    I'll look.

It also appears that Waltrip and his team are in deep whatever.

http://www.wral.com/sports/nascar/story/1204468/

Looks like it wasn't just leftover oil - it was an oxygenate, which is a major faux-pas.

Chip H.