Thread: Popular (and not so popular) trucks and SUVs

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Popular (and not so popular) trucks and SUVs

Although Americans still love American trucks, Ford's best-selling F-Series full-size pick-up suffered a 14.9 percent drop in overall sales from January 2006 to January 2007 -- a major decline that surely adds to the misery index in Dearborn.

On the other hand, the Dodge Ram 1500 series pick-up did well -- with sales growing by 11.9 percent -- from 21,790 trucks sold in Jan. of '06 to 24,379 trucks sold in Jan. of '07.

Ford's F-truck remains the volume seller, however -- with 44,919 trucks sold in January of 2007.

Chevy's Silverado 1500 series is building steam, however. Though total sales through January of 2007 -- 38,393 trucks sold -- are still well behind total sales of Ford's F-truck, the GM pick-up is gaining, not losing, ground. It saw a 0.7 percent increase in sales -- not large, but much better news than Ford's near 15-percent free-fall.

Also: GMC's fancier version of the Chevy Silverado -- the Sierra 1500 series pick-up -- enjoyed a dramatic uptick of 11.4 percent. Though not a volume seller (13,147 units sold this January) its positive reception by the market is happy news for General Motors.

Other winners and losers in the game of numbers sold and percentages held -- and lost:

* Honda's new CR-V compact SUV delivered a stunning 54.3 percent increase, with 14,390 sold in January '07 vs. 9,325 in Jan. of 2006.

* The restyled Jeep Wrangler has been explosively popular -- with sales jumping from 3,830 sold in January of '06 to 8,954 sold in January of '07.

* Chevy's Trailblazer mid-sized SUV slipped badly, suffering a decline of 30.5 percent, with sales dropping from 13,479 in January f 2006 to 9,368 in January of '07.

* Toyota surely prays the just-launched, all-new Tundra pick-up will do better than the outgoing model -- which slid 33.2 percent from January '06 to January of '07.

* Ford's recently revamped Expedition full-size SUV seems to be doing well -- posting a 15.6 percent increase in sales, with 6,143 units sold last month.

* Mercedes' M-Class SUV continues to grow in popularity, with sales increasing 89 percent following a major restyle.

END

Re: Popular (and not so popular) trucks and SUVs

Hope I am not badgering you , but how was the LR2?
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Not at all!

I am working on the write-up; hope to post in the next few days, after I catch up on other deadlines. But I can tll you the power delivery (3.2 liter straight six sourced from Volvo) is much-improved; ditto the interior accommodations. And we did some pretty extensive off-road testing; I cam away fairly impressed with what it is capable of, given the absence of Low range and really crappy OE tires ...

More to come!~

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Not at all!

I am working on the write-up; hope to post in the next few days, after I catch up on other deadlines. But I can tll you the power delivery (3.2 liter straight six sourced from Volvo) is much-improved; ditto the interior accommodations. And we did some pretty extensive off-road testing; I cam away fairly impressed with what it is capable of, given the absence of Low range and really crappy OE tires ...

More to come!~
    Looking forward to it
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia