Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sale of Chrysler

mrblanche

Re: Sale of Chrysler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Would you consider both of us not really having the true numbers? They used to be US product heavy when Sam was alive--- They abuse suppliers and cut the sales reps out of the picture and deal direct only. If they drop a line of merchandise, the supplier will most likely go out of business.
    They treat suppliers as every large buyer treats them, I'd guess. When I worked at AAFES in the purchasing department, I felt sorry for the sales reps coming in to see us. And our purchase contract was scary. If we caught them selling their product to ANYONE for less than they sold it to us (and this included employees and relatives), we could (and probably would) demand a refund of the difference to us for all we had ever bought from them.

But there were other advantages. For example, we took care of transportation and bought everything FOB.

>>They treat suppliers as every large buyer treats them, I'd guess.<<

Not really true-- I worked ffor a company that had several large national accounts and can only remember 2 who treated us badly. One was Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. They were the worst of any I called on.The Ford Motor Co. bunch were some of the best.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Not really true-- I worked ffor a company that had several large national accounts and can only remember 2 who treated us badly. One was Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. They were the worst of any I called on.The Ford Motor Co. bunch were some of the best.
    I'll echo that - Goodyear was a real PITA, along with Nucor Steel.

mrblanche

I have had terrible experiences with Goodyear truck tires, and I will never buy another one if I have any choice at all. And the dealers only compounded the problems.

>>I have had terrible experiences with Goodyear truck tires, and I will never buy another one if I have any choice at all. And the dealers only compounded the problems.<<

I retired from doing that job in early '91 and took me till last year to buy a Goodyear tire. I have to say, the new product with the kevlar belts delivers exactly what they advertize.
    We (Bear Automotive) used to do all the tire balancing for all the CART Races around the US. We had the only garage run by an equipment manufacturer in Gasoline Alley at Indy. We also had a special race crew that would be there for the 30 days of the race. Goodyear was the only tire on the track for several years and we balanced all those wheels.
    The CART races such as the one held at the Meadowlands and at Nazareth, PA were my responsibility for supplying manpower to run the balancers. Goodyear specified exactly what the crew should look like. Short hair, no facial hair, no obesity etc---- The last year I was there, I refused to supply manpower from my office because of the specs and the fact that they treated the men like dogs. That was right before SPX bought us out. The next year, we stopped supplying people for them. I guess I wasn't the only subsidiary principal who protested----