Thread: Arguing against speed limiters...?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Arguing against speed limiters...?

There is talk of mandatory speed limiters for both heavy trucks (commercial) as well as passenger vehicles; with an 80 mph ceiling, I think it is, for the passenger vehicles.

I'm opposed to this, as I'm sure most of you are. But - how does one argue against the idea given that the maximum speed limit everywhere except a few areas in rural Texas is under 80 mph? After all, we're not supposed to be "speeding" to begin with - right? And isn't 80 mph sufficient for merging, passing, etc. - within the bounds of "safety"?

This is the wall we'll face if the idea ever gets to the point of being debated in a legislature - and I wonder how it can be combatted.

What do you think?

mrblanche

Re: Arguing against speed limiters...?

If it goes to Congress, you'll have a hellacious argument, and the congress that passes it will be severely treated the next election cycle. And believe me, it won't be 80 that they put on cars. I would bet it would be 70, but it might go as high as 75. There is less than 500 miles of 80 mph speed limit in the whole country.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    If it goes to Congress, you'll have a hellacious argument, and the congress that passes it will be severely treated the next election cycle. And believe me, it won't be 80 that they put on cars. I would bet it would be 70, but it might go as high as 75. There is less than 500 miles of 80 mph speed limit in the whole country.
    Yep. I think the potential public outcry is the only thing that would keep this from ever getting close to a vote. The pols give lip service to "safety" and the speed limit regime - but they, like we, know it's a crock.

But can't say so on the record!

mrblanche

But I would bet they end up doing it to me. And if they do, and if you run into the back of my truck at 150 on your motorcycle, I intend to sue them for mental anguish for failing to provide a safe workplace for me.

But I would bet they end up doing it to me. And if they do, and if you run into the back of my truck at 150 on your motorcycle, I intend to sue them for mental anguish for failing to provide a safe workplace for me.
    They just might; it's a terrible idea. An example of the minority being screwed. If I were a trucker and that came to pass, I'd give serious thought to retiring....

mrblanche

Some truckers threatened and actually did quit over the CDL.

Some truckers threatened and actually did quit over the CDL.
    I sometimes think that people who want todrive an SUV over 6,000 lbs. should have to get an "endorsement" of some kind!

mrblanche

That has been tried. Nothing scarier than grandpa driving his new RV down the interstate, when the biggest thing he ever drove before was the Buick he has on a tow bar behind it. He can drive a vehicle I would need to get another endorsement for, but without restrictions, he can drive a 40-foot RV off the lot.

That has been tried. Nothing scarier than grandpa driving his new RV down the interstate, when the biggest thing he ever drove before was the Buick he has on a tow bar behind it. He can drive a vehicle I would need to get another endorsement for, but without restrictions, he can drive a 40-foot RV off the lot.
    We're less than two miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway... I see that all the time!