Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of mothballs... finally!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: !

I agree.. that's where I'm headed, I think... the result will be a virtual complete restoration. The interior's still almost perfect; a few very slight things to fix (which I can do on my own, easily) and it would like brand-new. With a re-done exterior and the front subframe cleaned up, etc., the car would only differe from a "new" '76 Trans-Am or show-quality resto in not having a perfect undercarriage. But excepting rust repair (whcih my car doesn't need) I see no point in doing that if thecar's going to be driven - as there is no way to keep it "perfect" unless you never drive it. And that seems pointles to me!

I'm looking forward to your visit; we can shoot the bull about the Trans-Ams when you get here!

Re: Out of mothballs... finally!

Eric,

I remember how nice your interior looked a few years back. The seats, carpet, and other trim pieces looked new. Your '76's interior is actually one of the best original 2nd generation Trans Am interiors I have ever seen. Most of the fun of owning a 2nd generation Trans Am is driving it. I believe as you do, I would never turn my T/A into a trailer queen. I remember a guy Jack and I met at the Carlisle PA carshow about 7 to 8 years ago, he had a 100 mile '81 Daytona Pace Car edition Trans Am which was absolutely mint. The car was 100% original and perfect even the engine paint was flawless since the engine had not had enough runtime to fade or crack the original paint. The undercarriage was 100% original and it was so perfect, the guy had mirrors under the car. The owner was selling the car for around $23,000 at the time. He had never driven the car more than 2 mph in the almost 10 years he owned the car. He kept it in a climate controlled garage and only fired it up when it needed to drive it onto a trailer to be taken to a show. How sad the guy never got to drive his car on a public road even once and really enjoy it.

I am also looking forward to the visit. Should be a lot of fun, it's alway fun talking Trans Ams.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man
    Eric,

I remember how nice your interior looked a few years back. The seats, carpet, and other trim pieces looked new. Your '76's interior is actually one of the best original 2nd generation Trans Am interiors I have ever seen. Most of the fun of owning a 2nd generation Trans Am is driving it. I believe as you do, I would never turn my T/A into a trailer queen. I remember a guy Jack and I met at the Carlisle PA carshow about 7 to 8 years ago, he had a 100 mile '81 Daytona Pace Car edition Trans Am which was absolutely mint. The car was 100% original and perfect even the engine paint was flawless since the engine had not had enough runtime to fade or crack the original paint. The undercarriage was 100% original and it was so perfect, the guy had mirrors under the car. The owner was selling the car for around $23,000 at the time. He had never driven the car more than 2 mph in the almost 10 years he owned the car. He kept it in a climate controlled garage and only fired it up when it needed to drive it onto a trailer to be taken to a show. How sad the guy never got to drive his car on a public road even once and really enjoy it.

I am also looking forward to the visit. Should be a lot of fun, it's alway fun talking Trans Ams.
    I've seen that car - it's beautiful - but pointless. Why bother?

It could be kept nearly perfect and still be driven on nice days; that seems to me to be the object of the exercise. It is a machine, after all. Art, too, perhaps - but ultimately, a huge part of the equation is hearing it run, driving it - the physical expereince. Take that out of the equation and what have you got?

Something very important is lacking.

PS - I'm waiting ot hear back from Jason; I asked him about the possibility of taking the car around September....

Eric,

That's a good strategy, then you will definitely have a refreshed/repainted car by next Spring.

My out of the mothballs story.....

The sky's cleared and the sand/salt debris is off the roads, so yesterday I fired up my '79 W72 TATA (10th Anniversary Trans Am), and I took it out for a 30 minute run. Of course this was after having to give my battery a 2 minute jump charge (it's been 2 months since its been fired up and like an idiot I forgot to give the battery a maintainer charge after 3-4 weeks of no runtime). The car ran well and strong. The hum of the factory stock dual resonator exhaust was so fine, it makes you wonder why they ever put radios in these cars (I never use mine). I even once after the car was completely warmed up opened up the secondaries (need to let them breath too ;D ), wow there's no sound like those monster secondaries opening up. Driving the car is like stepping back in time, as Eric mentioned the driver feels everything in these cars. After-all that's what driving should be unfortunately the new high performance cars you feel more like you are sitting on a very comfortable couch playing a PS3 driving game rather than really driving.

Here's my TATA...