Thread: If you had the pencil in your hand...

mrblanche

If you had the pencil in your hand...

how would you convert a current production car into a salable "muscle car?" Remember, you have to use the corporate holdings to do it!

Re: If you had the pencil in your hand...

My pick would be to take a 2007 Chrysler Crossfire and offer a higher performance package than the discontinued SRT6 package. It would be a Crossfire SRT8 which would have a 425 horsepower 6.1 liter Hemi under the hood, an upgraded suspension package, and one mean sounding exhaust system. I would try to some how integrate a modern version of the old Cuda/Challenger shaker hood scoop into this package. Could you imagine 425 horsepower (I believe it's more than what the factory rates it at), in a 3091 lbs package? It's breathtaking. ;D

mrblanche

I had in mind maybe the Cobra engine in a Mustang. Make it just a four-speed on the floor, no auto available. Independent rear, such as that under the 80's Cougars and Thunderbirds.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    how would you convert a current production car into a salable "muscle car?" Remember, you have to use the corporate holdings to do it!
    It could be done; the question is, would it sell? Here's my concept - which could be executed without any worries about violating emissions or safety regs, so the result would be legal to offer for sale. It would also be inexpensive, since it would be built as a sub-model of an existing model - the current Ford Mustang GT:

* 2007 Mustang GT "competition package"

- AC delete
    - Power delete (windows, locks, stereo; leave pre-wiring for audio)
    - ABS/traction control delete
    - minimal sound deadening; "base" interior trim (optional sport buckets)

The above deletions would result in a car with a much lower price tag than the current GT - which is also equipped with lots of power options, etc. Probably the car could be built and sold for around $22,000.

But would enough people buy the thing to make it worthwhile?

I had in mind maybe the Cobra engine in a Mustang. Make it just a four-speed on the floor, no auto available. Independent rear, such as that under the 80's Cougars and Thunderbirds.
    The stock GT engine is plenty potent - and much less expensive. See my post below....

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    The stock GT engine is plenty potent - and much less expensive. See my post below....
    But that wasn't the point of muscle cars. It was to use what was available, make modifcations from the corporate bins, and build a better car. Your ideas for deletes are good, but remember, for example, the 442, the Hemi Charger, etc.

But that wasn't the point of muscle cars. It was to use what was available, make modifcations from the corporate bins, and build a better car. Your ideas for deletes are good, but remember, for example, the 442, the Hemi Charger, etc.
    I see your point; but the problem (well, a problem) with modern performance cars is their cost. Anything close to $30k is beyond the reach of most likely prospects (18-30 year-olds), especially when you remember the "peripherals" - such as insurance and property taxes, etc.

This is why it would be a key thing (in my opinion) to get the MSRP close to $20k for such a car to have any chance of making it.

mrblanche

I see your point; but the problem (well, a problem) with modern performance cars is their cost. Anything close to $30k is beyond the reach of most likely prospects (18-30 year-olds), especially when you remember the "peripherals" - such as insurance and property taxes, etc.

This is why it would be a key thing (in my opinion) to get the MSRP close to $20k for such a car to have any chance of making it.
    I'll go along with the $20 K figure. You know the Cobalt has picked up a real following in the fart-can crowd due to a purchase price of about $12 K with a stick shift, and power steering and air are included. And 140 hp is nothing to sneeze at.

The problem here is that ever since the CAFE ratings were introduced in the 1970s and got tighter during the 1980s, it has been an impossibility to have a V8 in a small very inexpensive entry level car. So I would say its safe to say you never see a 500 horsepower $22,000 Mustang. About the best performance deal for money for those craving high performance V8 power in a rwd platform, is a no options new 300 horsepower Mustang GT which can be had for mid 20s or a new 340 horsepower Dodge Charger R/T which can be had for around the same price. Both are fun cars to drive.

For the youth market GM, Ford, and DCX need to start offering small rwd 4 cylinder cars with turbos/superchargers. For instance if you were to take a small car built on the rwd Solstice platform and put a 250 horsepower supercharged ecotech 4 cylinder (which easily meets the CAFE ratings). This would be a 2,600 lbs car with 250 horsepower which would equate to around high 13 second 1/4 mile times. All this could be sold for around $20K. This would bring back the youth market to GM.