Thread: Good news on my L

Staff

Good news on my L

I know a Saturn L-Series doesn't exactly qualify as excitement nor does an indididuals car news rate as newsworthy, but I'm happy as a pig in slop that I can finally remove my top end governor from my 2001 L-Series. Its about time. HPTuners is making that feat possible for us mere mortals. Long live the aftermarket and screw the OEMs. I noticed that they have added a host of new GM cars to their supported vehicle lists. If I slip into a G6 or an Aura, I can do the same mod... but I really want the G8.

Anyway, here is the website.

http://www.hptuners.com

Enjoy. And may your vehicles also make it onto this site.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Good news on my L

Capital! (As Gomez usedto say...)

Let us know what the new, ungoverned top end is!

DonTom

but I'm happy as a pig in slop that I can finally remove my top end governor from my 2001 L-Series.

When did they start putting in speed governors in cars? And what was the max speed possible with the governor? BTW, I have a 96 Saturn SL2. 1.9 L MPFI, (and about a dozen or so other vehicles) and I am real happy with it. It's the smallest engine I have ever owned in a car. But it's a five speed stick, which helps. All my other cars are automatics. This Saturn is the car I drive the most.

This may be my last message for a few days. I leave for Hong Kong in a few hours. But I should be on line again from Hong Kong.

-Don-

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    but I'm happy as a pig in slop that I can finally remove my top end governor from my 2001 L-Series.

When did they start putting in speed governors in cars? And what was the max speed possible with the governor? BTW, I have a 96 Saturn SL2. 1.9 L MPFI, (and about a dozen or so other vehicles) and I am real happy with it. It's the smallest engine I have ever owned in a car. But it's a five speed stick, which helps. All my other cars are automatics. This Saturn is the car I drive the most.

This may be my last message for a few days. I leave for Hong Kong in a few hours. But I should be on line again from Hong Kong.

-Don-
    I'm not entirely sure, but I remember the Saturn SL2 having a top end of around 124 mph, and I believe it was governed for the 95 and after models. I will hopefully have the answer before you get back. I lliked the Saturn that you're talking about. I drove my daughter in law's 1996 SC2 and found it to be a gem on the highway. Got 34 mpg at between 70 and 80 mph. I also got a @#$$%% ticket when I was in GA many years ago.

Probably it was governed because of the OEM tires that came with it.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

it was governed for the 95 and after models.

If it's set that high, I don't really care as long as they don't keep on lowering the speed. But if it's set one MPH below the speed that will be fast enough to lose your driver's license, that seems set fast enough for me.

-Don- (in Hong Kong)