Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Run silent, run deep!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Run silent, run deep!

If you drive faster than the posted limit, eventually, you'll probably get a ticket. But you can reduce your odds a great deal by following a few common sense rules:

* Drive within 10 mph of surrounding traffic; if it's moving 70-ish, you're ok up to about 80 (even if the limit is 65). Most of the time, radar traps are looking for the driver going noticeably faster than surrounding traffic.

* Let someone else lead. Ideally, find a "rabbit" doing the speed you'd like to maintain - and follow him discretely (about a 100 yards back is perfect). If there's a cop hiding ahead, the rabbit will be caught, not you. And if he brakes suddenly, you have just received your early warning in time to take defensive action.

* Do not change lanes frequently and otherwise display what others might view as aggressive tactics (and possibly motivate them - esp. truckers - to cell phone the oinkers and report your plate number). Always use your signals, be courteous to fellow drivers. It's safer - and it will help you fade into the pack.

* If possible, drive a nondescript vehicle - no flashy paint colors, wings, "blinged-out" appearance, etc. He who gets noticed tends to be the one that gets stopped.

* Don't speed when you are the only car on the road - especially late at night. If there's a cop (and there will be) he's got nothing to look at but you. Also DWI patrols are heavy after midnight -- and they'll be happy to write you a ticket for speeding even if you are as sober as the pope.

DonTom

Re: Run silent, run deep!

* Don't speed when you are the only car on the road - especially late at night.

Tom learnt that one the hard way, when he got his ticket for going 61 MPH in a 55 MPH double fine zone on 395 in NV with a CA plate. I bet he was the slowest driver there all night!

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    * Don't speed when you are the only car on the road - especially late at night.

Tom learnt that one the hard way, when he got his ticket for going 61 MPH in a 55 MPH double fine zone on 395 in NV with a CA plate. I bet he was the slowest driver there all night!

-Don-

Any cop who would write a ticket for that is a distilled, grade-A you-know-what.

I have never received a ticket like that in my life; I think I'd go nuclear if I did... 70 in an (underposted) 55 zone is galling enough. But Tom's ticket was within speedo error - and that's what makes it so outrageous. It's my understanding that tickets like that usually get thrown out in court - for just that reason.

mrblanche

Another consideration is to run without your headlights on in the daytime. And whatever you do, don't flash those brights in an attempt to get a slower car to move over.

Staff

Eric:

You forgot to mention to use a radar/laser detector.

The only time I've ever gotten tickets is when I am not using one.

It also gives you an extra safety margin on the highway of about 5-10 mph.

I haven't used one in years, but a CB may be useful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Eric:

Good call; you're absolutely right about that. (I need to get one for my bike...)

mrblanche

Eric, keep in mind that radar dectectors are illegal in Virginia, in all vehicles.

The officers have a machine that will detect most detectors, but some are "cloaked."

However, there's a foolproof, low-tech method they use. They wait for a group of cars to go buy, then trigger off the radar. The vehicle that puts on his brakes probably has a detector. A few truckers used to use a "Virginia switch," which was a cutout for the brake lights.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Eric, keep in mind that radar dectectors are illegal in Virginia, in all vehicles.

The officers have a machine that will detect most detectors, but some are "cloaked."

However, there's a foolproof, low-tech method they use. They wait for a group of cars to go buy, then trigger off the radar. The vehicle that puts on his brakes probably has a detector. A few truckers used to use a "Virginia switch," which was a cutout for the brake lights.
    Yep, I know!

But that's a good tip; thanks...

Bottom line, I don't mind losing the detector if it saves me even one ticket - well worth the cost...

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    However, there's a foolproof, low-tech method they use. They wait for a group of cars to go buy, then trigger off the radar. The vehicle that puts on his brakes probably has a detector.
    The same vehicle also has an idiot behind the wheel. If they are in a pack they're probably slower than the "citation" level that day, so why is that jerk hitting the brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    If you drive faster than the posted limit, eventually, you'll probably get a ticket. But you can reduce your odds a great deal by following a few common sense rules:

* Drive within 10 mph of surrounding traffic; if it's moving 70-ish, you're ok up to about 80 (even if the limit is 65). Most of the time, radar traps are looking for the driver going noticeably faster than surrounding traffic.

* Let someone else lead. Ideally, find a "rabbit" doing the speed you'd like to maintain - and follow him discretely (about a 100 yards back is perfect). If there's a cop hiding ahead, the rabbit will be caught, not you. And if he brakes suddenly, you have just received your early warning in time to take defensive action.

* Do not change lanes frequently and otherwise display what others might view as aggressive tactics (and possibly motivate them - esp. truckers - to cell phone the oinkers and report your plate number). Always use your signals, be courteous to fellow drivers. It's safer - and it will help you fade into the pack.

* If possible, drive a nondescript vehicle - no flashy paint colors, wings, "blinged-out" appearance, etc. He who gets noticed tends to be the one that gets stopped.

* Don't speed when you are the only car on the road - especially late at night. If there's a cop (and there will be) he's got nothing to look at but you. Also DWI patrols are heavy after midnight -- and they'll be happy to write you a ticket for speeding even if you are as sober as the pope.

I am sure the Pope has a tipple every now and then. ;D
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Eric:

CB is very useful.....I recently drove north to Townsville. 1300kms away.
    Great listening to the truckies advising where there was a "flash for cash", "candy car" or "Evil Knievel"

Radar detectors are illegal in Australia.

Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

In VIC Australia ...there is a 3 yes three km tolerance! Not in the interests of road safety but in the interests of revenue raising by the state governent
    Rex

DonTom

It's my understanding that tickets like that usually get thrown out in court - for just that reason.

Gail, is this true here in the state of Nevada? Or does it depend on the city?

Eric,

An SF cop (I work with cops) told a coworker of mine that SF will throw out all speeding tickets that are for 5 MPH or less over the speed limit. He was told this when he got a ticket for 30 MPH in a 25 MPH when he was really going 45 MPH. The cop gave him a break when he discovered he worked for the police radio shop, but still wanted to teach him a lesson by making him go to contest the ticket (which is a long line in SF).

But even if they do the same here in Reno, Tom's ticket was for 61 MPH, one MPH too fast to get a break. But in Tom's case, he really was going 61 MPH, no break was given. And yes, this cop was an AH and we think it was the same AH cop that gave me a ticket for "impeding traffic" two years before who I couldn't wait to get in court with (but the cop didn't show, just as I expected). His camera might have been on and that would make this cop look guilty, as well as shown how the cop was trying to get me into an accident!

I am wondering it Tom could have fought his off. Now that I think about it, perhaps he should have at least tried. The worse that could have happened is that they would reduce the fine when he gets "bribed", as I have explained before. I should have thought about that, because Tom got his ticket a couple of years after mine. But the problem is that it's a lot easier to just pay the fine than to show up three times to the courthouse here in Reno.

-Don-

I am sure the Pope has a tipple every now and then. ;D

Or perhaps a young boy?

" But in Tom's case, he really was going 61 MPH, no break was given."

How do you know? Non-cop speedos are often not "calibrated" - and will read 1-3 mph fast or slow. They are not absolutely accurate.

This is why such tickets are often thrown out; a person may honestly believe he is complying with the poste dlimit but actually be going slightly faster. Also, it's simply not reasonable to expect a "perfectly maintained" speed; it wil fluctuate up and down, as pressure is applied to the gas pedal, as the road gets hilly, etc. It's outrageous to ticket someone for momentarily (and just barely) exceeding the limit, etc.

What a prick that guy was...

DonTom

What a prick that guy was...

The State of NV must think he's a great guy--all the money he brings into the state!

The nice thing about these tickets in NV, it seems NV has an unofficial policy that tickets for less than 10 MPH don't make it to the insurance companies. This ticket is not on Tom's record. The ticket he got months later for going 85 on a 70 MPH speed limit highway is on his record.

This ticket cost Tom about $115.00 or so. Tom says he would rather pay it than hassle with the court system like I did. It's very easy to pay the ticket in Reno. It's a hassle to contest it. Of course there's an obvious reason for that!

-Don-

For some reason, even though I routinely drive very fast, I never (to date) get ticketed when I truly deserve it. All my tickets tend to be the BS variety; radar trapped doing 70 in an underposted 55 zone that should be 65, etc.

Yet I often cruise along at 90-plus on the highway on road trips; never get caught.

Or hit 150 (or faster) on the bike; never been caught.

At least, not yet!

DonTom

Yet I often cruise along at 90-plus on the highway on road trips; never get caught.

Perhaps that's because you've been more careful at 90+ to look for where the cops might hide, etc.

But beware--there's always a first time and my advice is to not go 90+ anywhere. Be happy not knowing what your top speed is!

-Don-

..when I drive that slow you know it's hard to steer!

DonTom

..when I drive that slow you know it's hard to steer!

Then fix your bike! Your steering problem probably has something to do with your carburetors ;D

-Don-