Thread: Just a passing bit of astonishment

mrblanche

Just a passing bit of astonishment

I read in the current National Geographic, in an article on celestial explosions, that one star explodes somewhere in the universe every second. That makes some 317,000,000 stars dying every year. Whew!

D_E_Davis

Re: Just a passing bit of astonishment

It's all academic, as long as it isn't ours.

mrblanche

Don't quote me on this, but I think they said the closest one in recorded history was about 180 light years. This was in 1604, and the explosion was brighter than the planet Jupiter.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I read in the current National Geographic, in an article on celestial explosions, that one star explodes somewhere in the universe every second. That makes some 317,000,000 stars dying every year. Whew!
    Global Warming!

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Global Warming!
    We have global warming in my neighborhood, it was 15 F this morning; I don't think I can take much more of it.

>>We have global warming in my neighborhood, it was 15 F this morning; I don't think I can take much more of it.<<

And you question why folks move to Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>We have global warming in my neighborhood, it was 15 F this morning; I don't think I can take much more of it.<<

And you question why folks move to Florida?
    All the same thing, you can't stay outdoors in the winter here, and you can't stay outdoors in the summer there. Also, FL is filled with whining old farts.

Texas might be OK but I don't want to spend the rest of my life having to wear a BS proof suit.

>>All the same thing, you can't stay outdoors in the winter here, and you can't stay outdoors in the summer there. Also, FL is filled with whining old farts. <<

We always have a time of day that outdoors is OK--- Usually in the early AM and late evening. The real heat happens in August and as they say, Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun--- or something like that---

>>Texas might be OK but I don't want to spend the rest of my life having to wear a BS proof suit.<<

A lot easier to put on than a bullet proof suit, and here, the first liar doesn't stand a chance!

>>All the same thing, you can't stay outdoors in the winter here, and you can't stay outdoors in the summer there. Also, FL is filled with whining old farts. <<

We always have a time of day that outdoors is OK--- Usually in the early AM and late evening. The real heat happens in August and as they say, Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun--- or something like that---

>>Texas might be OK but I don't want to spend the rest of my life having to wear a BS proof suit.<<

A lot easier to put on than a bullet proof suit, and here, the first liar doesn't stand a chance!
    Well, I don't get up early in the morning and they don't let me out in the kate evening.

Further, they don't lie in Texas, maybe an innocent exaggeration once in a while, but never a lie.

>>Well, I don't get up early in the morning and they don't let me out in the kate evening. <<

I can understand why in both cases!

>>Further, they don't lie in Texas, maybe an innocent exaggeration once in a while, but never a lie. <<

The cowboy boots keep you from getting the BS all over you body!

The cowboy boots keep you from getting the BS all over you body!
    And the high heels make Texans feel as tall as normal people.

>>And the high heels make Texans feel as tall as normal people. <<

I would take offense at that remark if I were a native Texan---

>>And the high heels make Texans feel as tall as normal people. <<

I would take offense at that remark if I were a native Texan---

You're a Texan by choice which is worse, something like a voluntary move to California.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

You're a Texan by choice which is worse, something like a voluntary move to California.
    You should have stayed in Vermont, laddie. The RAV4 would be perfect. With luck RAV4s will be banished from our roads... I just follwed a 2006 model 4 cyl version across town.... after my dutiful inspection of the productive heartland of NZ... The female driver had just left a sports gym, and somehow managed to contrive to take about 100 metres to reach 45 km/hr. Mind you, she was following a similar vehicle with heart painted on the spare-cover.... I want to kill her, or at least shake her by the neck .....

15 degrees sounds about right to me. Stop complaining.

>>You're a Texan by choice which is worse<<

Not worse than staying in NY after retirement--- I got here as fast as I could!