Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 VW Eos - still a "people's" car?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

2007 VW Eos - still a "people's" car?

VW is trying to branch out from its "people's car" roots -- and become a more upscale brand. The six-figure Phaeton sedan didn't do so well, though -- mainly because luxury car buyers just weren't willing to pay Mercedes money for a VW -- no matter how good the car itself might be. (And objectively speaking, the Phaeton was a fine car every bit the equal of its higher-prestige peers.)

The new Eos four-seater retractable hardtop coupe is VW's next move on the chessboard -- and much more subtle.

Unlike the Phaeton, the Eos can be affordable -- with a base price for the 2.0/six-speed version of just $28,110. That makes it the least expensive retractable hardtop on the market right now. With the exception of Pontiac's G6 -- which at $28,680 is just slightly more expensive -- the other retractable hardtops out there are generally well into the $40k and up range. A Benz SLK280, for example, starts at $43,350 -- and it's a two-seater. Volvo's C70 begins at $49,090.

In comparison, the Eos is a tremendous bargain -- and faithful to the tradition of VW as the one German brand that's still accessible to ordinary folks. European styling, precision driving dynamics, the detail-obsessed perfectionism of teutonic engineering -- with a clever all-metal hardtop that folds up and tucks itself away at the touch of a button in just 25 seconds -- just like the high-dollar "prestige brand" cars.

Wunderbar!

But VW still has its eye on the higher-end market, too -- which explains the $36,970 3.2 L version of the Eos. Instead of the base car's 2.0 liter turbocharged four (which at 200-hp is by no means shabby in the 3,500-lb FWD Eos) the pushing $40k Eos L gets a 3.2 liter V-6 with 250 horsepower. The additional 50 horses tip the car down the scale from "fun" to "ferocious." Zero to 60 times drop from the base 2.0 model's 7.5 seconds to 7 seconds flat -- while top speed climbs by about 10 mph to 150-plus.

The 3.2 liter six also comes teamed with VW's six-speed Direct Shift Gearbox -- a true manual transmisssion, but one where computers and servos handle the clutch action while you handle the up and downshifts by tapping "+" and "-" paddles on the steering wheel. DSG engages the clutch automatically when you roll to a stop -- so you don't stall out if you've left it in gear -- and re-engages the clutch as you put the car into first and accelerate from a standstill. It expertly feathers the clutch just right during hard launches and is quicker and more consistent than a conventional manual. The DSG also has a "full auto" function -- and in this mode behaves very much like a conventional fluid-driven automatic transmission, but without the power losses associated with a hydraulically-actuated automatic.

Further upping the ante (and, of course, the price), the Eos 3.2 L comes with an upgraded leather and wood-trimmed cabin, rain-sensing wipers, auto climate control, 17-inch rims (with 18s available) and an upgraded audio system. Toss in the optional Technology Package (which includes adaptive Xenon HID headlights, front an rear parking sensors), GPS unit and ultra-premium 10-speaker Dynaudio stereo rig and you'll be well into the $40k range -- and Mercedes/BMW/Audi land.

In this way, VW appears to be hedging its bets. The baseline Eos 2.0 presents itself as both relatively affordable and relatively unique; it's a car that someone thinking about a Mustang convertible (or similar) might be tempted to upgrade to. Why not? After all, it's not much more, price-wise -- but as a German-brand car, it's a notch or two above most of its Japanese and American-brand competition in terms of both refinement and status. And its spiffy all-weather retractable hardtop is both functionally more sophisticated and weather secure than a fabric-covered soft-top -- as well as inherently less vulnerable to slash-and grab-thieves.

The base Eos 2.0 has more than a folding hardtop to offer, too. It comes standard with six-speed manual transmission, 16-inch alloy rims, AC, tilt and telescoping wheel, leatherette trim tilt and a perfectly decent stereo with CD player and MP3 capability. Stability control, ABS and side-impact air bags are also included.

There's really nothing the car desperately needs to be complete that it doesn't already come with -- so that $28k price is totally realistic (unlike some other cars, where the "low" base price doesn't include must-haves like AC, or even side-impact air bags).

The only catch is if you want a transmission that isn't a six-speed manual (with old fashioned clutch you have to work yourself). If that's the case, you'll have to move up the range slightly to the Eos 2.0 T -- which can be ordered with the six-speed DSG box that's identical to the one used in the 3.2L. So equipped, this version of the Eos carries a base price of $31,185. But even at this level, you're still thousands under the base MSRPs of the other retractable hardtops out there -- excepting Pontiac's G6.

As for the Eos 3.2 L -- I guess we'll have to wait and see. Maybe enough buyers will be enticed by the extra 50 hp, DSG box, half-second-quicker to 60 time -- and so on -- to pay what's getting very close to Mercedes (and even Porsche) dollars for what's still, after all, a Volkswagen.

END

TC

Re: 2007 VW Eos - still a "people's" car?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

VW still has its eye on the higher-end market, too -- which explains the $36,970 3.2 L version of the Eos. Instead of the base car's 2.0 liter turbocharged four (which at 200-hp is by no means shabby in the 3,500-lb FWD Eos) the pushing $40k Eos L gets a 3.2 liter V-6 with 250 horsepower. The additional 50 horses tip the car down the scale from "fun" to "ferocious." Zero to 60 times drop from the base 2.0 model's 7.5 seconds to 7 seconds flat -- while top speed climbs by about 10 mph to 150-plus.
    Is that 150 mph-plus, marketing hype?

"Is that 150 mph-plus, marketing hype?"

I can't say definitively, because Ididn't drive it that fast; but given that most any new car with a V-6 (including a Camry or Accord) can hit 130-plus, 150 for a smaller/lighter high-performance sport coupe doesn't seem far-fetched to me...

TC

"Is that 150 mph-plus, marketing hype?"

I can't say definitively, because Ididn't drive it that fast; but given that most any new car with a V-6 (including a Camry or Accord) can hit 130-plus, 150 for a smaller/lighter high-performance sport coupe doesn't seem far-fetched to me...
    I think it is marketing hype, because at 250 hp and 3,500 lbs it is about 125 lbs heavier than a 244 hp Honda 6 speed manual transmission coupe. Coupled with that and the fact that it a convertible which are not noted for their aerodynamics, I think it would not be faster than the Honda.

"I think it is marketing hype, because at 250 hp and 3,500 lbs it is about 125 lbs heavier than a 244 hp Honda 6 speed manual transmission coupe. Coupled with that and the fact that it a convertible which are not noted for their aerodynamics, I think it would not be faster than the Honda."

It's possible - but I doubt it - because if it were wildly off-base, it would have been found out by now - and VW ridiculed. Maybe the V-6 in the car is under-rated,t oo. I can tell you The VW pulls with more authority than an Accord V-6... .

Is the Eos 3.2l engine a narrow-angle 'V' like the 2.8l VR-6 that was in the Corrado SLX and my Jetta GLX? Because the 2.8l pulled much stronger than it's displacement would lend you to believe. It was also very smooth at 4000+ RPMs.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Is the Eos 3.2l engine a narrow-angle 'V' like the 2.8l VR-6 that was in the Corrado SLX and my Jetta GLX? Because the 2.8l pulled much stronger than it's displacement would lend you to believe. It was also very smooth at 4000+ RPMs.

Chip H.
    Yesd, it is. In fact, I am pretty sure it's the latest incarnation of that design....

Glad to hear it -- it's a nice engine design -- the power of a 6 in the space of a 4 banger without a turbo or power-hogging supercharger.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

"I think it is marketing hype, because at 250 hp and 3,500 lbs it is about 125 lbs heavier than a 244 hp Honda 6 speed manual transmission coupe. Coupled with that and the fact that it a convertible which are not noted for their aerodynamics, I think it would not be faster than the Honda."

It's possible - but I doubt it - because if it were wildly off-base, it would have been found out by now - and VW ridiculed. Maybe the V-6 in the car is under-rated,t oo. I can tell you The VW pulls with more authority than an Accord V-6... .

No V6 for us here in OZ.....at least for now....but we get a diesel.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

No V6 for us here in OZ.....at least for now....but we get a diesel.
    Well, that's something!

Here (in the US), VW has dropped the diesel Passat and there's no diesel version of the Eos yet, either.

Quote Originally Posted by TC
    [I think it is marketing hype, because at 250 hp and 3,500 lbs it is about 125 lbs heavier than a 244 hp Honda 6 speed manual transmission coupe. Coupled with that and the fact that it a convertible which are not noted for their aerodynamics, I think it would not be faster than the Honda.
    It's a hardtop convertible, which means that the aerodynamics are nearly the same as for a coupe.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by pgranzeau
    Quote Originally Posted by TC
    [I think it is marketing hype, because at 250 hp and 3,500 lbs it is about 125 lbs heavier than a 244 hp Honda 6 speed manual transmission coupe. Coupled with that and the fact that it a convertible which are not noted for their aerodynamics, I think it would not be faster than the Honda.
    It's a hardtop convertible, which means that the aerodynamics are nearly the same as for a coupe.
    Good point.

Well, that's something!

Here (in the US), VW has dropped the diesel Passat and there's no diesel version of the Eos yet, either.
    Interesting times ..... Strange that US dropping diesel Passat...... I am slightly biased towards diesel...but to do a long trip in a car with a range of around 1000kms sounds better than having to refuel very 600kms
    Or is it V8 or 6cyl mentality do you think?

The 6cyl. in the Eos I would thought have been an option here...but it might sell better than Holdens, and we gotta protect them
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

Well, that's something!

Interesting times ..... Strange that US dropping diesel Passat...... I am slightly biased towards diesel...but to do a long trip in a car with a range of around 1000kms sounds better than having to refuel very 600kms
    Or is it V8 or 6cyl mentality do you think?

The 6cyl. in the Eos I would thought have been an option here...but it might sell better than Holdens, and we gotta protect them

The problem with diesel passenger cars in the US market comes down to several things:

* Bad history - Many people still remember the crappy, half-baked diesels of the late '70s ...
    * Spotty availability o f fuel -- In some areas, it can be a challenge to find a diesel pump; and when you do, it's often really scuzzy - a huge turn-off for women, especially.
    * Emissions regs. -- We have different standards than Europe; and different standards in different states; this makes it very hard for the automakers to offer diesel vehicles, at least when it comes to passenger cars...

The problem with diesel passenger cars in the US market comes down to several things:

* Bad history - Many people still remember the crappy, half-baked diesels of the late '70s ...
    * Spotty availability o f fuel -- In some areas, it can be a challenge to find a diesel pump; and when you do, it's often really scuzzy - a huge turn-off for women, especially.
    * Emissions regs. -- We have different standards than Europe; and different standards in different states; this makes it very hard for the automakers to offer diesel vehicles, at least when it comes to passenger cars...
    Were they US diesels or European? I do remember a Cadillac in NZ that sounded like a truck

Agree with the pump situation ...similar in OZ and NZ although rapidly changing. I always go for the truck pumps where I can ... high speed delivery. Some German servos supply light throw away gloves for use also. Shame diesel pumps are regarded as dirty.....only those using them. I always grab some paper towels and wipe the nozzle before and after.

I think it was similar here...the sulphur was too high for some engines.
    Rex

I do remember a Cadillac in NZ that sounded like a truck
    That was probably the GM diesel we had here.

If I recall correctly, all they did was shave down the deck of one of their V8s to increase the compression ratio, stick a diesel injection pump on it, and call it a day. As a result, it was loud, smelly, and tended to break head bolts.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I do remember a Cadillac in NZ that sounded like a truck
    That was probably the GM diesel we had here.

If I recall correctly, all they did was shave down the deck of one of their V8s to increase the compression ratio, stick a diesel injection pump on it, and call it a day. As a result, it was loud, smelly, and tended to break head bolts.

Chip H.
    I was actually quite keen to buy it..... but when I started making enquiries and I heard similar story.

The colour was not nice either.... a light purplish pink
    Rex

MikeHalloran

And..
    * Diesel fuel in the US has gone up in price enough to more than offset any efficiency advantage, making it a bad deal. Maybe VW saw that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran

And..
    * Diesel fuel in the US has gone up in price enough to more than offset any efficiency advantage, making it a bad deal. Maybe VW saw that coming.

I assume the diesel price has gone up disproportionately to petrol/gas.

Both have gone up over here. Diesel should be cheaper in my books.
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran

And..

Could be...

Of course, the diesel has a potential advantage in terms of longer service life; that is, you could amortize the higher up-front (and even fuel) costs by keeping the vehicle for, say, 15 years vs. 10. But we Americans are spendthrifts and love to constantly buy, buy buy!~