Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perfect for Rob?

Perfect for Rob?

Could this be an ideal set of wheels for Rob.....fitted with LS1 under the rear seat!

Wheelies/Monos!!!

Brakes would need serious work

This beast is now somewhere on the West Coast.

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Re: Perfect for Rob?

Probably not perfect wheels...
    But I think the Indian / Italian mechanicals could do with some serious work
    Rex

Looks like a JDM machine to me. RAV4 for 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    It's a Baja Auto Ricksha...Vespa 150cc 4 speed ( with reverse)

I used to wear a bear suit, and at their birthday parties take kids for rides

My elbow can still feel the bruises from the damn starter lever (seen on the left side). Used to whack the meter on the upward pull.
    Rex

It looks more like a pimped out golf cart.

The RAV4 has a wheel on each corner,

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

But look at the model varieties

Now the diesel would probably be the mover AND Shaker......shake it to pieces!
    Rex

A close relative of the Ape, still sold in Italy:

http://www.it.vtl.piaggio.com/prodotti/ape/index.htm

Not named after a large hairy mammal - Ape is Italian for bee, a relative of the wasp, or vespa.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    A close relative of the Ape, still sold in Italy:

http://www.it.vtl.piaggio.com/prodotti/ape/index.htm

Not named after a large hairy mammal - Ape is Italian for bee, a relative of the wasp, or vespa.
    The tech specs for some of those say 50cc ....barely enough to pull it along I would think...I am guessin it should be 150cc
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

Fifty years ago those thing were very popular in Japan. The US had 45 inch Harley 3 wheelers which were mainly used by meter maids.

Fifty years ago those thing were very popular in Japan. The US had 45 inch Harley 3 wheelers which were mainly used by meter maids.
    Don't meter maids and men use them still...or is it more sophisticated than a Harley
    Rex

Also has a chapter in the Owner's Manual which you may have overlooked, entitled, "Driver Never Smile Dangerous Behaviour".

A recent roadtest of a 3 litre V6 Camry down here found that everything about the car was excellent; power, handling, SILENCE,.... and I immediately hated it.
    Some day I will make my GM 5.0 into an half-decent car, but there will more work involved than making a 57 Jag reliable and fast. As far as I can tell, the GM bodyshell, although strong, amplifies all unpleasant noises in and around it, and the only reason all these cars not been crushed and sent to Japan is that Aussies are seriously too stupid to criticise anything made on their soil.

Aussies are seriously too stupid to criticise anything made on their soil.

Amen to that! Try and do it and we Aussies are so defensive..... Discuss Holden and All Blacks and I wear my Kiwi hat
    Rex

Amen to that! Try and do it and we Aussies are so defensive..... Discuss Holden and All Blacks and I wear my Kiwi hat
    Yes but we criticise our All Blacks mercilessly. Something to do with lack of self-belief and underdog status?

Of course it's different when someone else criticises us. Maybe Aussies do privately criticise Holdens, but they don't like it when an NZers criticises one! My exact words in the Holden LS1 Forum were "It's not a quiet car", follwed by enquiry as to how I might make it better. With a dozen replies, not one of which offered any ideas at all beyond change both front hubs [$1,000] from a girl who's boyfriend did that on her car [he works for Holden]

Perhaps I am having difficulty in accepting that my 1993 Calais was actually quieter than a 2001 Calais is...?
    In all measurable ways except noise, the 2001 is better. I guess I'll have to install my steel 15" wheels with 205/65 VR15 Yokohamas ... and see if it's better, or ... no. I KNOW the car will simply be slightly quieter, and I'm going mad.

It's all a commie plot.

It's all a commie plot.

A Commidore plot?

1993-2001.....1993 quieter......something to do with thinner metals? Perhaps Taxi Racing has meant that GMH thinks owners want a bit more of the V8 Supercars spirit
    Rex

The tech specs for some of those say 50cc ....barely enough to pull it along I would think...I am guessin it should be 150cc
    No, 50cc is correct - Italian law allows 14-year-olds to drive 50cc vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    No, 50cc is correct - Italian law allows 14-year-olds to drive 50cc vehicles!
    A bit like Swedish laws that allow youngsters to drive tractors...... hence a large number of Volvos that are classed as tractors through havig a low geared transfer case........most have dual range so can illegaly drive at normal speeds.
    Hence the term "Worlds Fastest Tractor"
    Rex

1993-2001.....1993 quieter......something to do with thinner metals? Perhaps Taxi Racing has meant that GMH thinks owners want a bit more of the V8 Supercars spirit
    The damn car has been an unholy alliance of materials-engineers and accountants, working in an atmosphere of "don't mind the quality, it's GM and it will sell because that's what the ad people are paid for"...

Everything about the car has a feeling of cheaper and more plastic than ever, with a veneer of marketing which tells you you will be happy if you buy it. I was sucked in... thinking it was better-made than an older version.

All quite subtle really.The improvements are in the engine desgn and its electronic management, and to a minor degree in the suspension geometry and steering. The power is greater and the handling is better, but the door seals are worse, the NVH is worse, the materialls used for soundproofing are worse, or missing, and it doesn't matter because it's 6 years old and GM seriously doesn't care about customers except new ones. That's why their top managers get bonuses.

All the assembly is done by machine or by low-wage people who don't like their job, let alone the buyer. And the assembly is dumbed-down. It's hard to find a tradesman or craftsman who has put any time into the car at all.

My enquiries in the Holden LS1 Forum are met with bemusement, indifference or hostility. The site is sponsored by GM and aftermarket suppliers. Some contributors know what they are doing, with drag-racing and so on. Good on em, the rest are as strange to me as I to them...

I have read excellent sites about the LS1-6 engine development in Detroit and Ontario and there are very talented production-engineers involved in the Chevy V8 small-block alloy-engine. It is harder to modify than cast iron versions, excpt by bolt-on aftermarket bits. And there's nothing much better than an LS7 to come. And it is a very fine engine.

What a pity the car Holden in general is produced with such a cold accountancy philosophy, where at no pont is there any sign of human care beyound, "How can this be made cheaper?"

Today I found that in breezy wind the screen made wind-howl noises at 50mph...! Over and above the tire-roar and A-pillar wind-rustle. There is a large gap about 1/8"-1/4" between the plastic vents below the screen approx mid-way across the lower screen, simply manufacturer's 'tolerances' as far as I can tell, and no sealants.. I have covered it with tape. I have no reason to believe the many pipes and wires between the engine bay and dash-mounted a/c-heater system have been installed carefully or well-manufactured... but to check would require dismantling the entire dash, steering, airbags, and a/c-heat system and electrics...

I guess I must accept that GM don't shine at building cars in an mass-produced electronic age, at least as well as others, even though they have some of the finest engine-drivetrain-chassis engineers in the world. Either that or the Aussie gummint is subsidizing them to build poor cars to dumb Aussies and even dumber Americans...

Possibly methanol fuel will be big, and it's all very interesting

No, here is a better idea:

Get a large storage battery and place leads from the anode and cathode in a container of water and then capture the H2 and O2 from the resulting hydrolysis.

Recombine (burn the H2) the two gases to produce heat and use that to produce steam. Then use the steam to power a turbogenerator and in turn to the some or the power to recharge the battery and the rest to run an electric car.

There are but a few engineering details lacking which I'm sure you can supply and being a generous sort, I give the whole idea to you, free and clear. There's probably a Nobel somewhere in there for you.

Think of me from time to time after you have become rich and famous.

My enquiries in the Holden LS1 Forum are met with bemusement, indifference or hostility. The site is sponsored by GM and aftermarket suppliers. Some contributors know what they are doing, with drag-racing and so on. Good on em, the rest are as strange to me as I to them...
    Perhaps you should try My Holden. com or My Holden.com.au

They seem equally totally un-biased..NOT!....... Why do Aussies get so emotive over one model

I just think ....... Holden means a great deal to Korea

I wonder when Daewoo will put V6s and V8s in their cars....... the takeover will be complete
    Rex

mrblanche

No, here is a better idea:

Get a large storage battery and place leads from the anode and cathode in a container of water and then capture the H2 and O2 from the resulting hydrolysis.

Recombine (burn the H2) the two gases to produce heat and use that to produce steam. Then use the steam to power a turbogenerator and in turn to the some or the power to recharge the battery and the rest to run an electric car.

There are but a few engineering details lacking which I'm sure you can supply and being a generous sort, I give the whole idea to you, free and clear. There's probably a Nobel somewhere in there for you.

Think of me from time to time after you have become rich and famous.
    The problem with all that, of course, is that according to the laws of thermodynamics, the amount of heat you can generate with the hydrogen thus cracked is less than the energy you had to put in to crack it.