Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Values

Home Values

Most Western home and land values are currently based supply-demand and otherwise a value entirely specualtive.

The worry is that in general China produces much more tangible wealth than elsewhere and its land lacks water, so I expect it will flow cash to the US rather than invade?

mrblanche

Re: Home Values

Cash is much like water, in that it flows to the lowest point, whether or not its masters wish for that to be the case. It happened in Japan and Korea. The big difference between those countries and China is that the US was standing over their shoulders encouraging democratic reforms, while China resists any such ideas. But eventually, the Chinese will insist on more freedom. With luck, they can do that without a bloody uprising.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Cash is much like water, in that it flows to the lowest point, whether or not its masters wish for that to be the case. It happened in Japan and Korea. The big difference between those countries and China is that the US was standing over their shoulders encouraging democratic reforms, while China resists any such ideas. But eventually, the Chinese will insist on more freedom. With luck, they can do that without a bloody uprising.
    Well, we all love an America which consumes! My thread title was a question really, wondering if there is not a good deal of speculative money loose in Western economies? A lot of NZ 'money' is tied up in unproductive suburban land title. Might be just a local phenomenon.
    And as to 'freedom', it means different things in different cultures? I love my freedom to drive on nice sealed roads in empty land, in a fairly modern powerful car, but it sure isn't a natural 'right'.

Just musing, I guess. Which is another luxury!

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Well, we all love an America which consumes! My thread title was a question really, wondering if there is not a good deal of speculative money loose in Western economies? A lot of NZ 'money' is tied up in unproductive suburban land title. Might be just a local phenomenon.
    And as to 'freedom', it means different things in different cultures? I love my freedom to drive on nice sealed roads in empty land, in a fairly modern powerful car, but it sure isn't a natural 'right'.

Just musing, I guess. Which is another luxury!
    Driving is a right, not a priviledge. You forfiet that right by being a bonehead or by receiving too many tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Driving is a right, not a priviledge. You forfiet that right by being a bonehead or by receiving too many tickets.
    Well that's true so far as it goes, but I think of driving as being beyond the capacity of a lot of people who do it.

I don't think control of the incompetent or stupid is simple.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Well that's true so far as it goes, but I think of driving as being beyond the capacity of a lot of people who do it.

I don't think control of the incompetent or stupid is simple.
    My neighbour's daughter has just got her license... I watch with trepidation as she reverses out the drive. Head rigid, not checking around. More interested that she has her sunnies on and hair nice. >
    Should I say something before or after the future crash?
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

My neighbour's daughter has just got her license... I watch with trepidation as she reverses out the drive. Head rigid, not checking around. More interested that she has her sunnies on and hair nice. >
    Should I say something before or after the future crash?
    Has she been required to demonstrate actual driving skill?

Nothing wrong with sunnes and nice hair so long as you are awake.

Thats the worrying bit...even not driving she is in her little world.... externally induced I think
    Rex

Thats the worrying bit...even not driving she is in her little world.... externally induced I think
    No doubt practicing to be an adult woman, in this country she would need to talking on a cell phone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

No doubt practicing to be an adult woman, in this country she would need to talking on a cell phone as well.
    Yes .......I am waiting to see that....but she probably is aware that now she will have severe penalties as she is a P-plate driver
    Rex

>>No doubt practicing to be an adult woman, in this country she would need to talking on a cell phone as well.<<

She could be like the idiot female I watched today. She had the cell phone in the right hand and was doing descriptive motions with her left hand --- I asked my wife how the hell she was steering the pick-up .

>>She had the cell phone in the right hand and was doing descriptive motions with her left hand --- I asked my wife how the hell she was steering the pick-up .<<

Maybe she had built the steering with a lot of castor so it tended to self-steer?

>>Maybe she had built the steering with a lot of castor so it tended to self-steer? <<

Not on this particular road---

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>No doubt practicing to be an adult woman, in this country she would need to talking on a cell phone as well.<<

She could be like the idiot female I watched today. She had the cell phone in the right hand and was doing descriptive motions with her left hand --- I asked my wife how the hell she was steering the pick-up .
    Hey, I'll bet that you have steered with your knees at one time or another, say striking a match to light a cigarette or opening a beer many moons ago when it was legal to drink a beer while driving in Texas.

>>Hey, I'll bet that you have steered with your knees at one time or another, say striking a match to light a cigarette or opening a beer many moons ago when it was legal to drink a beer while driving in Texas. <<

Never on a crowded road like she was doing. I forgot to mention that she damn near ran over the vehicle next to her.

>>Hey, I'll bet that you have steered with your knees at one time or another, say striking a match to light a cigarette or opening a beer many moons ago when it was legal to drink a beer while driving in Texas. <<

Never on a crowded road like she was doing. I forgot to mention that she damn near ran over the vehicle next to her.
    OK, I was thinking about open roads, where else would anyone want a beer?

>>OK, I was thinking about open roads, where else would anyone want a beer? <<

Sheeeeeeeeeeet man-- anytime you were driving! I used to work with a fellow named Guido--- he was originally from Canada but settled in the NY area and eventually made it to Milwaukee as sales manager for our company. When I was Director of Service & Training, I traveled with him and and asking Guido how far it was to our next destination always got an answer like--- 3 six paks--- or however many he thought it would take to get there.

Sheeeeeeeeeeet man-- anytime you were driving! I used to work with a fellow named Guido--- he was originally from Canada but settled in the NY area and eventually made it to Milwaukee as sales manager for our company. When I was Director of Service & Training, I traveled with him and and asking Guido how far it was to our next destination always got an answer like--- 3 six paks--- or however many he thought it would take to get there.

OK, let's hear if for Guido! If he's still around, the poor guy has probably gone nuts with the new rules and attitudes.

>>OK, let's hear if for Guido! If he's still around, the poor guy has probably gone nuts with the new rules and attitudes.<<

Guido has quit drinking. He is presently living in the Orlando, FL area and in ill health. He has diabetes and has had to quit all booze, has had a couple of heart attacks and lost one leg because of circulation problems.
    His attitude is good and he gets around well on a couple of canes and a peg leg.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Now that's old school!

(I am old enough to remember when we still had a sense of humor - and proportion - about drinking... and other things, too.)