Thread: Acromyms Young People Language

Acromyms Young People Language

With cellphone-speak modifying the world
    I found this gem of good ol' down home Chevy-speak

[which makes sense to me, building engines]

>>

242x248 on aprox 600 at 113LSA (Custom ).......277 on PT's Dyno.....11.0 / 122mph ......expecting to see more now that Fast and 90 TB fitted.....note car ran slower with reso off..

LBT has the above spec big lift cam ( 608 ) for 290 rwkw + and 11.3 at 120mph...both using identical TC's

1.60 sixty ....don't go there too often ....more by accident so to speak <<

Eric, can you read?

GM uses this kind of information in public. Mercedes or BMW? Hell no. You have to take their engines apart to measure it. Finacially secure. Blown motors on their fastest...
    Not that the numbers tell the whole story.

We are talking dinner-plate-size inlet valves 2.4" 11:1 c/r with about 0.5"-0.6" lift and springs which will close them at 7,000rpm or more, the rest being subtleties of gasflow, and real art.

Is 'art' meant to be always moving?

I might look at my 12G940 Mini head again. I think it revved to 7,000 and nobody ever found the limit, and your eyeballs went backwards at 3,500-on. Sure would be cheaper than an LS7!

Re: Acromyms Young People Language

Why?

And the fence needs mending.

actually in the cold grey light of morning I cannot make head nor tail of the V8 engine-speak.

For some reason last night the valve-lift and camshaft profiles of engines seemed quite important, but it was just a passing mood. I fixed it by buying a toy train on Ebay... a rare model, which will need to be photographed, and all at once the world was in perfect balance again.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    actually in the cold grey light of morning I cannot make head nor tail of the V8 engine-speak.
    Phew....neither could I
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

For some reason last night the valve-lift and camshaft profiles of engines seemed quite important, but it was just a passing mood. I fixed it by buying a toy train on Ebay... a rare model, which will need to be photographed, and all at once the world was in perfect balance again.
    Tomorrow should be a nice day and I will try to make a pic or two of the mods to the snowblower as well as the interior of the RAV.

>>Tomorrow should be a nice day and I will try to make a pic or two of the mods to the snowblower as well as the interior of the RAV.<<

What you need is a Power Take Off on the Rav with a snoblower attachment--- You could even have a lawnmower attachment for Summer use and a leaf blower for Fall--- 4 wheel drive will push anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose

What you need is a Power Take Off on the Rav with a snoblower attachment--- You could even have a lawnmower attachment for Summer use and a leaf blower for Fall--- 4 wheel drive will push anything!
    Well, the RAV and its kind have been called 'cute-utes' and that is more true than not. With two open differentials, 4WD does not amount to a lot. Then, there is no place for a poser take off or to hang anything other than 'let's pretend' push bars and skid plates. This thing is what I wanted, a comfortable, responsive car with higher than usual seating and some ability in the slick but one needs an enhanced imagination to think it a work vehicle.

Anyway, I've stumbled upon a new activity - my wife has reminded me that our oppressors expect tax returns by the middle of the month. It's pure hell, everything is a matter of record leaving no room for the imagination. It's also hell to look at the property taxes and medicals, the main old fart expenses.

The day is too nice to waste - maybe I wash a car (or go to the car wash).

>>The day is too nice to waste - maybe I wash a car (or go to the car wash). <<

I said that early this AM and went to the flying field and flew my old antique airplane. The wings are now rebuilt and have new covering. Spraying the dope was more fun than sniffing coke---
    Anyway, the bird flew fine-- all the flying wires and landing wires held so there was no crazy stuff going on---

>>The day is too nice to waste - maybe I wash a car (or go to the car wash). <<

I said that early this AM and went to the flying field and flew my old antique airplane. The wings are now rebuilt and have new covering. Spraying the dope was more fun than sniffing coke---
    Anyway, the bird flew fine-- all the flying wires and landing wires held so there was no crazy stuff going on---
    Good! What is used for the wing covering?

>>Good! What is used for the wing covering? <<

A heat shrinkable fabric that has adheseive on the back to make it stick to the structure. You iron it on to the structure and then use a heat gu to shrink it and get all the wrinkles out. A couple of coats of nitrate dope is all that is necessary afterwards -- Gasoline doesn't bother Nitrate dope. Had the engine been of the glow plug variety, Butyrate dope would have been used. It's fuel proof to about 25% nitromethane.

>>Good! What is used for the wing covering? <<

A heat shrinkable fabric that has adheseive on the back to make it stick to the structure. You iron it on to the structure and then use a heat gu to shrink it and get all the wrinkles out. A couple of coats of nitrate dope is all that is necessary afterwards -- Gasoline doesn't bother Nitrate dope. Had the engine been of the glow plug variety, Butyrate dope would have been used. It's fuel proof to about 25% nitromethane.

My last experience with that sort of thing involved paper which I think got glued on and then dampened (or the other way around). There was only one kind of dope and it didn't mind the rubber band.

Do those engines have piston rings?

>>Do those engines have piston rings? <<

Most do. The small engines of less than .50 cu. in.(about 8 cc) are usually what we call ABC--- Aluminum piston in a bronze liner that is chrome plated.They run on a glow plug and a fuel mix of Methanol, Nitro-methane, and oil.
    The engine in this big bird which weighs close to 40 pounds with fuel is 62 CC and swings a 24" prop.It runs on a 40-1 mix of gasoline and oil.

The engine in this big bird which weighs close to 40 pounds with fuel is 62 CC and swings a 24" prop.It runs on a 40-1 mix of gasoline and oil.
    It actually sounds like fun.

Irreligious, nonsensical, and worthy of a photo before it crashes in an out-of-control fireball after hits from my Chinese fireworks...

>>Irreligious, nonsensical, and worthy of a photo before it crashes in an out-of-control fireball after hits from my Chinese fireworks...<<

Of course you know, this means war! My bomb bay will hold several pounds of whatever I need to destroy a train!

>>Do those engines have piston rings? <<

Most do. The small engines of less than .50 cu. in.(about 8 cc) are usually what we call ABC--- Aluminum piston in a bronze liner that is chrome plated.They run on a glow plug and a fuel mix of Methanol, Nitro-methane, and oil.
    That's getting into chain saw territory!

>>That's getting into chain saw territory!<<

We have them all the way up to 200+ cc

>>That's getting into chain saw territory!<<

We have them all the way up to 200+ cc
    Who'd a thought! What kind of airplane are those hung on?

>>Who'd a thought! What kind of airplane are those hung on? <<

A 42% Extra 300--- http://www.composite-arf.com.hk/ar/L...posite-arf.com

Last Sunday, one of these crashed due to a radio failure. Ten grand went straight in at full throttle at about 120 MPH. It was due to either a receiver or switch failure. Had it been interference, the radio was programmed to go to what we call failsafe-- low throttle and a pre set control input.
    I forever question why they don't use dual receivers with a split L/R set up for control. If one receiver fails, the second one that controls one side of the plane will allow you to land safely. Granted, receiver failures are rare, but at 10 grand a copy, I'd damn sure have 2 receivers in mine if I owned one.