Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

  1. #1
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    The Burnley Tunnel in Melbourne remains closed, 24 hours after a tyre blow-out on a semi-trailer started a chain reaction that left at least three people dead.

    Article

    And

    Slideshow of the aftermath

    When living in Melbourne I used this under river tunnel regularly. I often wondered about flooding, but never fire.
    At least trucks carrying dangerous / inflammable goods are forbidden to use the tunnel.

    IMHO ..It would seem that Translink which operates the tunnel should have closed the tunnel earlier or at least reduced the speed limit.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    The Burnley Tunnel in Melbourne remains closed, 24 hours after a tyre blow-out on a semi-trailer started a chain reaction that left at least three people dead.

    Article

    And

    Slideshow of the aftermath

    When living in Melbourne I used this under river tunnel regularly. I often wondered about flooding, but never fire.
    At least trucks carrying dangerous / inflammable goods are forbidden to use the tunnel.

    IMHO ..It would seem that Translink which operates the tunnel should have closed the tunnel earlier or at least reduced the speed limit.
    I saw the initial report earlier on BBC and had no idea it was so bad. As they say in the aviation trade, that kind of thing can ruin your whole day.

    How long is the tunnel? Where did the chairs come from?


  3. #3
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

    I saw the initial report earlier on BBC and had no idea it was so bad. As they say in the aviation trade, that kind of thing can ruin your whole day.

    How long is the tunnel? Where did the chairs come from?

    It's about 3.5kms long..... Aussies always travel prepared mate. But probably Translink provided some as well

    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

    I saw the initial report earlier on BBC and had no idea it was so bad. As they say in the aviation trade, that kind of thing can ruin your whole day.

    How long is the tunnel? Where did the chairs come from?

    It's about 3.5kms long..... Aussies always travel prepared mate. But probably Translink provided some as well

    If they are so prepared, where were the coolers?


  5. #5
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm



    If they are so prepared, where were the coolers?
    Probably still in the cars!!! Not sure that they would want to carry too much
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm



    If they are so prepared, where were the coolers?
    Probably still in the cars!!! Not sure that they would want to carry too much
    Well, I do hope that there have been no more traumas. Getting stuck in a tunnel would bother the hell out of me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

    Well, I do hope that there have been no more traumas. Getting stuck in a tunnel would bother the hell out of me.
    Tunnel is still closed while they do thorough safety inspections, reseal road and replace wiring.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

    Well, I do hope that there have been no more traumas. Getting stuck in a tunnel would bother the hell out of me.
    Tunnel is still closed while they do thorough safety inspections, reseal road and replace wiring.
    Does this result in a great deal of inconvenience?

    NYC is made up of five Boroughs, four of which are on islands or parts of and island; bridges and tunnels are essential to the well being of the city. Any closure creates great inconvenience as did that of a rail tunnel which ended under the World Trade Center.

  9. #9
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Well, they've had similar (or much worse) accidents in the Chunnel and the one in Switzerland/Italy.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Well, they've had similar (or much worse) accidents in the Chunnel and the one in Switzerland/Italy.
    I've seen accounts of the disasters in the Alpine tunnels but must have missed the chunnel news.

    The chunnel is rail only, I think so problems there should have a different measure.


  11. #11
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

    Does this result in a great deal of inconvenience?

    NYC is made up of five Boroughs, four of which are on islands or parts of and island; bridges and tunnels are essential to the well being of the city. Any closure creates great inconvenience as did that of a rail tunnel which ended under the World Trade Center.
    It basically puts traffic back into the suburbs...chaos I imagine at peak hour

    Yarra Trams have scheduled 300 extra services during peak hour periods.


    Map of Alternative route

    The red dotted lane shows the suggested route....busy roads at the best of times
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  12. #12
    gail
    Guest

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Well, they've had similar (or much worse) accidents in the Chunnel and the one in Switzerland/Italy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Well, they've had similar (or much worse) accidents in the Chunnel and the one in Switzerland/Italy.
    I wanted to send one of a Russian tunnel, but it is too big. I can send to your email address if anyone would like to see it.

    Personally, getting stuck in a tunnel is my second worse nightmare, the first of course would be the one in that little squashed car. Makes my stomach turn, and a cold shiver grab me.

    When I was in Italy, there had been a small accident ahead of us, I was on a military tour bus -- I got off the bus, informing the bus driver that he could pick me us outside the tunnel, and walked out. Interestingly enough, most of the bus followed me out, and we sat on rocks and chatted for about an hour, until the accident had been cleared away.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Road Tunnel Tragedy - Melbourne, VIC

    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Well, they've had similar (or much worse) accidents in the Chunnel and the one in Switzerland/Italy.
    Yes....as I recall the Italian one was horrendous. What is frightening is that a tow truck was already on the way help out the disabled truck. Signs should have been warning drivers to slow down before they were even near the tunnel entrance
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Similar Threads

  1. Hi from the road
    By Frosts08ultra in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 11:33 AM
  2. a (sort of) tragedy averted
    By damen in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
  3. CA tunnel accident
    By mrblanche in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
  4. Russia Tunnel
    By gail in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 03:15 AM
  5. 2007 Infiniti M45 - carpal tunnel city!
    By Eric in forum New Car/Truck Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •