Thread: 1948 Ford V8

Hybrid View

1948 Ford V8

'Twas a cold and stormy night ............riding in one of these, when it ran out of petrol....

I was staying on my Uncles farm and we had to walk the remainder of the journey home. I think about 6 of us piled out of the back.......them was the days!
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Re: 1948 Ford V8

>>I was staying on my Uncles farm and we had to walk the remainder of the journey home. I think about 6 of us piled out of the back.......them was the days!<<

You'll play hell getting 6 in the back of anything nowadays. I had a '41 Ford---

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>I was staying on my Uncles farm and we had to walk the remainder of the journey home. I think about 6 of us piled out of the back.......them was the days!<<

You'll play hell getting 6 in the back of anything nowadays. I had a '41 Ford---
    Yep all part of the nanny state way of things

My first car ever as a 16 yr old, was a 1939 Ford V8 Deluxe Coupe...... My Dad made me sell it because it had mechanical brakes.
    Rex

We were once stopped by the police with eight of us in a Morris Minor. It was near Christmas, so they were doing routine stops looking for stolen poultry. The cop shone his torch into the car, counted seven occupants & said 'don't have an accident.' it was a long time ago!

.....once had twelve in a Morris Minor Traveller, but six of them were small kids.

>>My first car ever as a 16 yr old, was a 1939 Ford V8 Deluxe Coupe...... My Dad made me sell it because it had mechanical brakes. <<

Here, 1939 was Ford's year to convert to hydraulic brakes

>>.....once had twelve in a Morris Minor Traveller, but six of them were small kids. <<

My first car was a 1936 Ford Convertible with a rumble seat--- It held 12 -- just once--- stopping it with the mechanical brakes caused 3 of 4 shear pins to break at the wheels. It was exciting for a moment or two.

mrblanche

The school bus at the little school where I was going in sixth grade broke down, and the driver (and one of the teachers) took the 16 kids in his 1959 Ford and made the route that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    We were once stopped by the police with eight of us in a Morris Minor. It was near Christmas, so they were doing routine stops looking for stolen poultry. The cop shone his torch into the car, counted seven occupants & said 'don't have an accident.' it was a long time ago!

.....once had twelve in a Morris Minor Traveller, but six of them were small kids.
    In Sweden in 1990 I had 9 of us in my Volvo wagon.... Yep the guys and gals had been on the turps....I was the designated driver. I was stopped by the police in Motala. Thought my wallet would be emptied. The cop having firstly gone to the wrong side of the car (RHD for export to NZ) Came round and very nicely said, I can see you doing a good job here ...... you got them in but please have them keep the tailgate down as we don't want to have to pick bodies off the road.

I am sure that would never have happened in Australia or I suspect even in NZ. Even at 0300hrs in the morning!
    Rex

The 1948 was the last of the buggy-sprung Fords with a solid front axle and transverse leaf springs. It had a few visible details different from the 1947 (one of which I owned, in club coupe form) in the grille and on the rear deck, as well as a modified key/ignition lock (in 1947, the key merely permitted one to turn the ignition switch on, in 1948, turning the key also turned the ignition on).

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

>>My first car ever as a 16 yr old, was a 1939 Ford V8 Deluxe Coupe...... My Dad made me sell it because it had mechanical brakes. <<

Here, 1939 was Ford's year to convert to hydraulic brakes

And now we're seeing som cars go to electric brakes!

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Which ones?

My Cobalt, by the way, has electric power steering. It's already adapted and available (from Flaming River, I think) for hot rods.

>>And now we're seeing som cars go to electric brakes!<<

Progress is wonderful!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Which ones?

My Cobalt, by the way, has electric power steering. It's already adapted and available (from Flaming River, I think) for hot rods.
    Benz has begun using this system on the S-Class and a few others.... I have one this week; review to come!

My Prius has electric air conditioning--necessary because the IC engine doesn't turn over at stop signs or while the car is moving very slowly (as in heavy traffic). It brings down the charge on the traction battery right quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    The MINI had this -- there wasn't room for a belt-driven PS pump, so it was run off an electric motor. There was an auxillary electric fan underneath it (think computer fan) to keep it cool that would occasionally suck up plastic shopping bags from the road, and blow the fuse from the overload. Result: An occasional accident as the strength to turn the wheel would go up unexpectedly.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

The Nissan Versa has electric power steering.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mase
    The Nissan Versa has electric power steering.
    As do lots of other cars!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_s...ectric_systems

The MINI Cooper S I had had electric steering.

It worked really well (nice feel to it), but it's one weakness was the auxillary electric fan underneath the car that cooled the pump -- if it sucked in a plastic shopping bag, you were in for an expensive repair.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala