Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: License Plate Scanner

gail

License Plate Scanner

Here is the low-down on the license plate scanner. A cop can just drive around, day or night, scanning license plates. You can't hide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrrZSjmObWg

Re: License Plate Scanner

>>Here is the low-down on the license plate scanner. A cop can just drive around, day or night, scanning license plates. You can't hide.<<

Makes for easy recovery of stolen vehicles and vehicles that have been used in crimes and people who have outstanding warrants.
    I see no down side to this. Of course, you'll tell me that it's another encroachment on freedom--- I ain't buying any of that crap!

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Here is the low-down on the license plate scanner. A cop can just drive around, day or night, scanning license plates. You can't hide.

Who is hiding? Only the crims I imagine.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

I don't object to this so much - for the same reasons Jim mentions. So long as your tags are yours, the car's not stolen, etc., I see no issue, as such.

I suppose if the technology is used to keep track of us - where we go, shop, etc. - that would be a problem....

mrblanche

I have listened on my scanner to traffic stops, and I am amazed at how many of the plates come back as stolen or bogus. When my pickup was stolen, it had bogus plates on it when it was recovered.

This system has been in use in the UK for a couple of years now - here we call it ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition). It's linked into the Police National Computer system so that a cop can instantly check that a vehicle has been taxed (licensed), is insured & has, if required, an MoT (roadworthiness) certificate, & is registered as stolen or having been used in a crime. So far, so good. However, there are also stationary ANPR cameras on a lot of roads, & the aim of the cops is to have them at one mile intervals on every motorway & major road. Surveillance? You Americans don't know you're born! The UK has 1% of the world's population, 20% of the world's CCTV cameras......

It's not all bad, though. Last week I renewed the tax discs on my car & bike (the equivalent of an annual registration). Because all the details are held on a central database it can be done online. The whole process for each vehicle took around three minutes.

the aim of the cops is to have them at one mile intervals on every motorway & major road.
    I keep telling y'all that an old truck tyre and some petrol can solve this problem.
    Just watch out for the cameras that are watching the cameras.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    It's not all bad, though. Last week I renewed the tax discs on my car & bike (the equivalent of an annual registration). Because all the details are held on a central database it can be done online. The whole process for each vehicle took around three minutes.
    We have an equivalent system here in AZ - available 23 hours and 50 minutes each day (including Sundays). Takes all major credit cards! The only hitch is that I must have had the emissions check done within the previous 45 days.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Here is the low-down on the license plate scanner. A cop can just drive around, day or night, scanning license plates. You can't hide.<<

Makes for easy recovery of stolen vehicles and vehicles that have been used in crimes and people who have outstanding warrants.
    I see no down side to this. Of course, you'll tell me that it's another encroachment on freedom--- I ain't buying any of that crap!

I did not give an opinion on this issue. It was mainly informative. Soon they will be able to scan our homes though, and don't go telling me that you don't have anything to hide -- we all do!

Often my objects are not the initial tactic, but rather where it can lead. Foot-in-the-door theory

I did not give an opinion on this issue. It was mainly informative. Soon they will be able to scan our homes though, and don't go telling me that you don't have anything to hide -- we all do!

Often my objects are not the initial tactic, but rather where it can lead. Foot-in-the-door theory
    Big Brother watching us....I hate that!
    Rex

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

Who is hiding? Only the crims I imagine.
    No hiding for those guys that move into a state that requires registration within 30 days, and then drive around with their old state's tag for up to a year after moving. Also, the ones who forget when the deadline is, and drive about on expire tags. I figure that they will be fining and/or putting more of these lazy citizens into jail than they will be finding stolen vehicles or anything else beneficial to the community.

No hiding for those guys that move into a state that requires registration within 30 days, and then drive around with their old state's tag for up to a year after moving. Also, the ones who forget when the deadline is, and drive about on expire tags. I figure that they will be fining and/or putting more of these lazy citizens into jail than they will be finding stolen vehicles or anything else beneficial to the community.
    Dammit....Australia seems to have followed the US in regards to rego regulations.....It all helps to keep the fat polies in power. Out Minister of Transport is becoming positvely bloated
    Rex

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

I'm with Gail on that. Too often, precedent is used to advance an agenda/goal much broader than the original idea sold to the public. Seat belt laws (and DWI laws) provide two excellent examples. The government is not to be trusted, ever. By definition, it seeks power and control - always more of both - never less. That is an axiom people should always remember. But many of us have forgotten it.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    The only hitch is that I must have had the emissions check done within the previous 45 days.
    Our system requires an emissions check as part of the annual MoT (roadworthiness) test. To tax a car there must be an MoT certificate valid for the day the new tax disc comes into force.

>>Often my objects are not the initial tactic, but rather where it can lead. Foot-in-the-door theory<<

You could, theoretically, interpet any law as such.

gail

>>Often my objects are not the initial tactic, but rather where it can lead. Foot-in-the-door theory<<

You could, theoretically, interpet any law as such.
    Absolutely! As Eric says, "you can't trust the government - ever."

Whenever you think the government is going to help you -- remember the Indians. -- Will Roger

>>remember the Indians. <<

They couldn't control immigration and look what it got them!

gail

>>remember the Indians. <<

They couldn't control immigration and look what it got them!
    Don't go sprouting crap like this, Jim, somebody is liable to think you are a liberal. Shudder! :

>>Don't go sprouting crap like this, Jim, somebody is liable to think you are a liberal. Shudder! <<

How can you possibly say that what I said would make me a liberal?????

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    Our system requires an emissions check as part of the annual MoT (roadworthiness) test. To tax a car there must be an MoT certificate valid for the day the new tax disc comes into force.
    About that, do you still have to stick those things to the inside of the windshield? Many years ago we had laws here that required the registration document to be visible from outside the car, but that requirement died a peaceful death quite some time ago.