Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: License Plate Scanner

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: License Plate Scanner

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    Our system requires an emissions check as part of the annual MoT (roadworthiness) test. To tax a car there must be an MoT certificate valid for the day the new tax disc comes into force.
    About that, do you still have to stick those things to the inside of the windshield? Many years ago we had laws here that required the registration document to be visible from outside the car, but that requirement died a peaceful death quite some time ago.

We (in VA) still have to deal with those godawful state and annual tax stickers on the windshield... every year.

>>About that, do you still have to stick those things to the inside of the windshield? Many years ago we had laws here that required the registration document to be visible from outside the car, but that requirement died a peaceful death quite some time ago.<<

Used to be that the annual registration sticker would be attached to the rear license plate. That created a whole new area for theft so they decided to put it in the lower left hand corner of the windshield along with the inspection sticker.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Used to be that the annual registration sticker would be attached to the rear license plate. That created a whole new area for theft so they decided to put it in the lower left hand corner of the windshield along with the inspection sticker.
    Here that sticker is still applied to the plate, but the adhesive is such the sticker can't be stolen unless someone takes the whole plate.

>>Here that sticker is still applied to the plate, but the adhesive is such the sticker can't be stolen unless someone takes the whole plate.<<

Probably ok, but it is a little more visible on the window.

D_E_Davis

Probably ok, but it is a little more visible on the window.
    I don't think even that is germane, in that the car must be stopped in order for anyone to determine if the registration is current. The sticker on the plate allows an officer to see if it's up-to-date, while driving in normal traffic. Of course, there's always the case of stolen plates but that requires the cop to be interested enough so that he "runs" the plate.

>>I don't think even that is germane, in that the car must be stopped in order for anyone to determine if the registration is current. <<

Not true-- the expiration numbers are very large and visible on both the registration and the inspection and may be easily read. The license plate sticker could be easily covered with dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    Our system requires an emissions check as part of the annual MoT (roadworthiness) test. To tax a car there must be an MoT certificate valid for the day the new tax disc comes into force.
    About that, do you still have to stick those things to the inside of the windshield? Many years ago we had laws here that required the registration document to be visible from outside the car, but that requirement died a peaceful death quite some time ago.

Here in Queensland we have a sticker in the inside of the windscreen....... It can also be on a rear left quarter window...this applies to all states I think
    The only time a car needs a safety certificate /MOT is when you sell it!!! Scarey eh!

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

About that, do you still have to stick those things to the inside of the windshield?
    Yes, we do. I've just replaced mine today:

gail

>>Don't go sprouting crap like this, Jim, somebody is liable to think you are a liberal. Shudder! <<

How can you possibly say that what I said would make me a liberal?????
    Where do you think the Indians came from? It is the liberals that are always fanning the fires to keep some elements of our society stirred up and feeling cheated.

There was not a societal structure when we arrived. Often the Indians totally wiped out colonies. Jamestown is one such example. If anything the Indians had the advantage of winning that war, and often succeeded - if you want to call it a war. We first tried to take them into our culture, and some joined us. We honor there desires in many incidences and set aside land for their Nations that they still have today. True some treaties were not honored -- on both sides. True again that some people took advantage of their lack of knowledge of our ways, but all and all they were treated fairly - better than I think in many incidences. Today everyone with as little as 1/4 Indian blood, on or off a reservation, receives money from the government.

The lack of their own leadership have keep them down. I point out once again the Mormons - a tiny handful of people pulling and pushing handcarts, through the most bitter of winters, were chased to the ends of the known world to die, but with a promise in their heart and good leadership fulfilled the promise that the desert would bloom like a rose. They didn't get handouts from the government either. Instead of the government giving them land, as they did the Indian - the government kept taking any land that they settled. It wasn't until Brigham Young decided to petition to become a state did the government let up some, but still passed laws directed toward us.

>>....Where do you think the Indians came from? It is the liberals that are always fanning the fires to keep some elements of our society stirred up and feeling cheated.<<

There is a real problem with any train of thought that would connect what I said in jest to being a serious liberal statement.
    Indians came from Aisia by way of the Aleutian Islands--- Europeans invaded and took their country away--- They have been offered every opportunity since to assimilate and have done a really poor job. It's time for them to stand and becounted without gvmnt help, but it doesn't look like it will happen.
    I am going to spend some money and go see their Glass walkway-- but I have a real problem with an attraction of that magnitude that requires driving 15 miles on a damn dirt road to get there. I can't believe they spent millions to build that magnificant attraction and can't pave the road in.
    Quit comparing your religious association to everything. It doesn't float--

D_E_Davis

I am going to spend some money and go see their Glass walkway-- but I have a real problem with an attraction of that magnitude that requires driving 15 miles on a damn dirt road to get there. I can't believe they spent millions to build that magnificant attraction and can't pave the road in.
    From what I've read they need to suck in a year's worth of visitors in order to have the money to pave that road. At the moment neither Yavapi County nor the tribe has the bucks.

Along that line, I also read that the route from Kingman exposes you to less unpaved stretches than the route from Peach Springs.

gail

>>....Where do you think the Indians came from? It is the liberals that are always fanning the fires to keep some elements of our society stirred up and feeling cheated.<<

There is a real problem with any train of thought that would connect what I said in jest to being a serious liberal statement.
    Indians came from Aisia by way of the Aleutian Islands--- Europeans invaded and took their country away--- They have been offered every opportunity since to assimilate and have done a really poor job. It's time for them to stand and becounted without gvmnt help, but it doesn't look like it will happen.
    Quit comparing your religious association to everything. It doesn't float--

OK -- ha ha ha ha,; hee hee hee hee; har dee har har! ROTFLMAO ;D LOL feel better now, Jim?

I was talking history, not religion. I promised Eric that i wouldn't talk religion anymore, but I think that I'm still allowed to talk history, even if it includes a religious sect. These are facts, not faith. If I had had another example to use I might have. But the example that I used was first the Pilgrims - which were also a religious sect - and their struggle to survive, and then the Mormons. There are some sections of our society that just can't seem to get it together without the governments intervention - and each time the government intervenes, all of us lose more of our liberties and freedoms, not to forget to mention our MONEY to fund these programs You tell me of a group in America that has a better survival story than the Mormons and I will use it the next time I'm using comparasons.

PS Right now, I will have to have some real concrete facts to believe that the Inidians walked by-way of the Aleutian Islands. Let's not jump onto every bandwagon that passes by - OK?

>>From what I've read they need to suck in a year's worth of visitors in order to have the money to pave that road. At the moment neither Yavapi County nor the tribe has the bucks.<<

Seems to me that their large investor would have come up with the financing to finish the project. That's what banks are for--- If the road was paved up front, it would attract a lot more visitors. I'll bet a lot of folks who would like to see this walkway will opt to not go because of the road.

>>Along that line, I also read that the route from Kingman exposes you to less unpaved stretches than the route from Peach Springs.<<

That will probably be our escape route!

>>Right now, I will have to have some real concrete facts to believe that the Inidians walked by-way of the Aleutian Islands.<<
    http://www.nativeamericans.com/
    My theory hold a lot more water than any other.

>> Let's not jump onto every bandwagon that passes by - OK? <<
    Why not? At least this one rings true music!

gail

>>Right now, I will have to have some real concrete facts to believe that the Inidians walked by-way of the Aleutian Islands.<<
    http://www.nativeamericans.com/
    My theory hold a lot more water than any other.

>> Let's not jump onto every bandwagon that passes by - OK? <<
    Why not? At least this one rings true music!
    Wow! Thanks a lot, Jim, This is a neat site. I love the DNA section. As some of you know I have studied my family's history for decades, and I have found 45,000 plus people, past and present that are related to me, either by blood, adoption or marriage. I have many lines of my family back to the 5th century. I am related to the most unlikely people. In fact, I've just uneathed a connection between my first husband and myself - we are in fact 16th cousins, one time's removed. I'm still working on a connection between myself and my present husband ;D Anyway, I have two lines that just drop off, one at the 5th generation, about 1815 from Alabama on my father's father'sl side and the other at my 7th generation, about 1770 from the Carolina's on my mother's father'sl side. Family tales say that these women were Cherokee Indian, but I have never been able to find any evidence of this. DNA tests would either comfirm or dispell these tales. My material grandfather looked Indian, but my father's side did not.

D_E_Davis

Seems to me that their large investor would have come up with the financing to finish the project. That's what banks are for--- If the road was paved up front, it would attract a lot more visitors. I'll bet a lot of folks who would like to see this walkway will opt to not go because of the road.
    As I understand it, the large investor paid for the helipad so that the non-US visitors could come via whirlibird from Lost Wages.

>>Thanks a lot, Jim, This is a neat site. <<

Some of my bandwagons are deluxe rides!

>>As I understand it, the large investor paid for the helipad so that the non-US visitors could come via whirlibird from Lost Wages.<<

The last time I flew to the GC, I ws in a B-25 on a day/night XC from Reese AFB. There were 3 planes with 3 instructors and 2 students. The trip flying below the rim of the canyon was memorable. It was also fast-- the turns were pretty exciting.
    Looks to me like the Indians could have floated a loan for the road. No wonder they couldn't control immigration!

D_E_Davis

The last time I flew to the GC, I ws in a B-25 on a day/night XC from Reese AFB. There were 3 planes with 3 instructors and 2 students. The trip flying below the rim of the canyon was memorable. It was also fast-- the turns were pretty exciting.
    Very glad you didn't leave any sooty burn marks on the walls.

>>Very glad you didn't leave any sooty burn marks on the walls.<<

We had a few IPs who had done a tour in B-26s over in Korea -- they would sometimes loosen up and have some real fun!