Thread: Ford Thunderbird 1967 or 68

Ford Thunderbird 1967 or 68

First time I saw one of these was when an American couple brought theirs in for servicing..... she a young thing....... He about 80 .....her sugar daddy...lucky guy.

I remember:
    the concealed headlights,
    the sequential rear indicators
    chunky hub on the swingaway steering

Looked a solid old cruiser., and a lot more modern that the original porthole/ opera window Thunderbird

Toyota brought out a Crown Hardtop...there were some similarities in looks
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

mrblanche

Re: Ford Thunderbird 1967 or 68

I had the chance to acquire one of those about 1975. Less than $500 for it. I was going to use it to pay off a debt, but they wouldn't take it, so I never closed the deal.

Wish I had it now!

MikeHalloran

Notice the extreme size of the trunk lid. I think the entire hardtop lifts up and drops back into the trunk, without the b-pillars folding. The actual trunk space is a smallish open topped box in the center. The remainder of the space is taken up by all the linkage.

>>Notice the extreme size of the trunk lid. I think the entire hardtop lifts up and drops back into the trunk, without the b-pillars folding. <<

Ford tried that trick in 1958 and couldn't make it work properly so they quit. I don't think they did it again till just recently and had success.

MikeHalloran

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Notice the extreme size of the trunk lid. I think the entire hardtop lifts up and drops back into the trunk, without the b-pillars folding. <<

Ford tried that trick in 1958 and couldn't make it work properly so they quit. I don't think they did it again till just recently and had success.
    I saw one work in late '65 or early '66. It looked new. The interesting part was four spinning cable- driven screws at the corners of the trunk lid that latched it down. The proud owner put it through at least four full cycles while I was there, and it didn't glitch, but it didn't look like a super- durable mechanism either. Could it have taken eight years for them to decide it didn't work properly? My experience in other technical matters says yes, but that's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran

I saw one work in late '65 or early '66. It looked new. The interesting part was four spinning cable- driven screws at the corners of the trunk lid that latched it down. The proud owner put it through at least four full cycles while I was there, and it didn't glitch, but it didn't look like a super- durable mechanism either. Could it have taken eight years for them to decide it didn't work properly? My experience in other technical matters says yes, but that's opinion.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4608/ Looks like a 3 year run from '59 I said I saw one in '58--- must have been when the '59 models were first in the showrooms

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Beautiful machine... they truly do not make 'em like they used to!

>>they truly do not make 'em like they used to!<<

And all of us should be thankful for that!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran

1958 and 1959. The Retractable Hardtop. My mother owned one (I think 1 1959). Every so often it would jam while halfway up or down. My mother just called the Ford dealer (it was a small town), they would send someone out and get it working again for her and bill my dad. I notice that there are some hardtop convertibles available nowadays--the Volkswagen Eos being one, which sells for under $30,000. Pontiac also has one, the G6, which begins under $29,000.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

My old neighbor had one - black - he even let me drive it a couple of times... really neat!

mrblanche

I saw one this afternoon on a lot on I-30 northeast of Dallas. Looks great, too.