Thread: Knight Rider

TC

Knight Rider

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Knight Rider

"A dangerous journey into the shadowy world of a man who does not exist.."

The show is super cheesy (Vidal Sassoon jeans and all) but as a kid I loved it and watched every episode!

What happened here?
    I cant see anything in TCs message

Go the Hoff.......He suddenly is popular down here!

The Swiss loved him back in 1990...... Is everybody happy and Freedom
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    What happened here?

He's apparently a big "rock" star in Europe!

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    One of the biggest American stars there!

A little like the Ventures in Japan, who are unbelievably popular there.

The Ventures, yes, I can see. Who doesn't like surf guitar?

But The Hoff doesn't really have any musical ability.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    The Ventures, yes, I can see. Who doesn't like surf guitar?

But The Hoff doesn't really have any musical ability.

Chip H.
    Could be. I've only heard him do one song, and that was on one of the comedy channels on Sirius Radio.

The Ventures didn't make diddly in the U.S. compared to their Japanese income.

Oddly enough, the Japanese, when it comes to guitars, are a real enigma. They make instruments that started as cheap U.S. knock-offs, but they have such an "instruemnt ethos" that they get instruments we can only dream about here. One good example is the Ibanez company, which is actually Hoshino. They now have factories all over the world, and make quality instruments from the low end (less than $200 for a guitar and small amp) up to "reissues" of some of their classics that sell new for over $7,000. They built copies of Fenders and Gibsons (and others) back in the late 60's and early 70's that were actually better than the guitars they were copying, and cost less. Not surprisingly, they were sued, and those copies are now called "Lawsuit copies" and are more valuable than the originals they copied.

Now, if that hasn't confused you, Hoshino builds a number of guitars that are Japanese production and consumption only, and are very highly valued when they leak out to the US.

Another company with some similar history is Teisco, who still builds some fantastic Japanese consumption guitars, but at one time built US knock-offs for Sears, etc. There is an Appleby's restaurant near here with one of their guitars on the wall; as a guitar, it makes a good wall decoration. But a new Teisco today in Japan would put a good dent in a month's pay for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    One of the biggest American stars there!

A little like the Ventures in Japan, who are unbelievably popular there.
    It's weird... maybe Don Johnson (and Captain Kirk, too) should have launched their recording careers over there instead!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    What happened here?

The link disappeared somehow. It is in Eric's reply to me.
    Below is the full text that is on the web site.

'Knight Rider' Trans Am up for sale Mon Apr 2, 8:57 PM ET
    DUBLIN, Calif. - KITT, the flame-throwing, river-jumping, talking muscle car from the `80s TV show "Knight Rider," is up for sale. Restored to its debut-season glory, the modified black 1982 Pontiac Trans Am is offered at $149,995 at a Dublin auto dealership. Johnny "Vette" Verhoek of Kassabian Motors has had the car, officially called Knight Industries Two Thousand, on display for about a month.

It is one of four documented "camera cars" used for close-up shots and scenes where David Hasselhoff, who played Michael Knight in the series, was behind the wheel.

Although it cannot achieve the 300 mph speeds that KITT reached, soar 50 feet in the air or throw smoke bombs, key features of the star car are intact. Perhaps most important, the red scanner light on the nose glows and makes a humming noise.

The car has two working video screens on the dashboard, and the cockpit features buttons that light up in green, yellow and red: ski mode, rocket boost, micro jam, silent mode, oil slick and eject.

Most of the buttons don't do anything, Verhoek said. Nor can the car hold a conversation or drive itself.

KITT isn't even street legal because of missing smog equipment and other modifications. Whoever buys the car will probably keep it in a private collection, or it may be purchased by a museum, Verhoek said.

The car belongs to Tim Russo of Livermore, a Kassabian customer who figured now was a good time to test the market, with the 25th anniversary of the show's debut coming up.

Russo purchased the car 10 years ago at an auction in San Diego, and has spent the last decade finding parts to restore it.

But a new Teisco today in Japan would put a good dent in a month's pay for anyone.
    But how do they sound?

I'm wondering because I have a gut feeling that they'd be pretty soulless.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

But a new Teisco today in Japan would put a good dent in a month's pay for anyone.
    But how do they sound?

Chip H.
    A good point; the song of a sweet engine and gears, etc. cannot be matched by an electric motor and batteris... similarly, my old Kaw (air-cooled 1015 cc inline four) sounds magnifico compared with a modernbike.... unless it's an Italian (or even Brit) twin!

mrblanche

But how do they sound?

Chip H.
    They sound great. As I said, Japan has an "instrument ethos" that combines with their musical appreciation to result in great instruments.

The problem is the Korean or Chinese instruments. Especially Korean. They have to have constant Japanese coaching to produce quality instruments.

That said, you can buy a guitar today for less than $200 that is in every way superior to the 60's Fenders, which are selling for tens of thousands of dollars to collectors.