Thread: Australia's most dangerous Highways

Australia's most dangerous Highways

Australia's most dangerous stretches of highway..... Top Ten below

Full story at:
    http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/art...ad-black-spots

Figures for crashes with casualties and deaths, 1999-2003.

1. Great Western Highway, NSW: Katoomba to Lithgow, 37km, 221 casualty crashes, 18 deaths.
    2. Perth-Bunbury, WA: Preston Beach to Bunbury, 57km, 195 casualty crashes, 5 deaths.
    3. Bruce Highway, Qld: Cooroy to Gympie, 40km, 190 casualty crashes, 27 deaths.
    4. Great Western Highway, NSW: Lapstone to Katoomba, 42km, 416 casualty crashes, 19 deaths.
    5. Pacific Highway, NSW: Ballina to Byron Bay, 29km, 94 casualty crashes, 15 deaths.
    6. Bruce Highway, Qld: Townsville to Ingham, 100km, 156 casualty crashes, 9 deaths.
    7. Calder Highway, Vic: Pyrenees Hwy to Bendigo, 36km, 80 casualty crashes, 7 deaths.
    8. Bruce Highway, QLD: Gympie to Childers, 138km, 212 casualty crashes, 23 deaths.
    9. Pacific Highway, NSW: Maclean to Ballina, 84km, 186 casualty crashes, 27 deaths.
    10. Sturt Highway, SA: Daveyston to Truro, 26km, 25 casualty crashes, 4 deaths.

I live near, and use no 3 quite often.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

gail

Re: Australia's most dangerous Highways

I should get some stats of Las Vegas. I heard on the news tonight that Columbus, South Carolina has the worse drivers in the USA. This is hard to believe. It has been 13 years since I've driven there, but it was just a sleepy southern town.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    I should get some stats of Las Vegas. I heard on the news tonight that Columbus, South Carolina has the worse drivers in the USA. This is hard to believe. It has been 13 years since I've driven there, but it was just a sleepy southern town.
    I'm guessing they're going by accidents per million miles driven.

Some years ago, I know that the most dangerous stretch of interstate in the US was I-84 north of the Utah border up into Idaho. The most dangerous non-interstate was what used to be 666 north out of Gallup, NM. Huge numbers of pedestrian fatalities.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Quote Originally Posted by gail
    I'm guessing they're going by accidents per million miles driven.

Some years ago, I know that the most dangerous stretch of interstate in the US was I-84 north of the Utah border up into Idaho. The most dangerous non-interstate was what used to be 666 north out of Gallup, NM. Huge numbers of pedestrian fatalities.
    Hmmmm. Could it be that Hwy 666 was the devils highway and that the pedestrian fatalities were due to exhaustion and sun stroke in the New Mexico desert?

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Hmmmm. Could it be that Hwy 666 was the devils highway and that the pedestrian fatalities were due to exhaustion and sun stroke in the New Mexico desert?
    No. Drunk Indians falling asleep on the highway at night to keep warm on their walk home.

Staff

Aha! Drunk driving laws killed those pedestrians. If they had cars and could drive drunk, they would have made it home!