Thread: Has anyone missed me?

gail

Has anyone missed me?

We are in total chaos here. Water came out of nowhere. It really floored the apartment connect to ours, they pumped out 80 gallons. I don't know how much personal damage was done to our neighbors, but it seeped into our apartment. For the most part not much damage, but everything is in the middle of the room, and much of my things are in the dining room as well. I have no idea how long it will take to dry, we have fans up - big industrial fans, big noisy fans. The plumbers never found where the water was coming from. I am worried. Fortunately most of my things were up off the floor. I am very happy that all those letters, and maps were in tubes and in a plastic trash can.

The rental people are not going to give any compensation to us for this convenience - just 'thank you for your patience.' Really upsets me. I am sitting in a corner in the office - where most of this is going on - I can't pull out the keyboard drawer, so the keyboard is sitting on my lap. I can't open the blinds for the things piled in front of the opener, it is hot and stuffy, and my eyes are burning. Last night I couldn't come in here at all due to the flumes of what they sprayed to ward off mold and mildew.

Re: Has anyone missed me?

I think you have a case for some compensation. Does your state have a renter's bill of rights?
    While it's not enforceable, many complexes will (or say they do) subscribe to one.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by gail

We are in total chaos here. Water came out of nowhere. It really floored the apartment connect to ours, they pumped out 80 gallons.
    Sorry to hear about that.

Had that happen to our Kiwi flat in London. Damn Aussies upstairs left the bath running and went off to the pub. I had just left the kitchen and there was helluva noise as gallons of water accompanied the ceiling plaster to the floor.

What a shambles .....being Kiwis we sorted it out ourselves ....apart from the replacement ceiling. Dinner was wrecked...so we went to the pub too!
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

MikeHalloran

Last night I couldn't come in here at all due to the flumes of what they sprayed to ward off mold and mildew.
    Given the toxicity of effective mildewcides, you really shouldn't be in that room at all, until it's dried out and aired out.

DonTom

Has anyone missed you?

Were you gone? ;D

-Don-

TC

Last night I couldn't come in here at all due to the flumes of what they sprayed to ward off mold and mildew.
    You have my sympathy.

gail

Thanks, guys. I needed some sympathy. I did get an added bonus though - while I was at the doctors - again! - the carpet cleaning fairies came in and cleaned the carpets in the entire place. I wasn't expecting that. It was a nice surprise, as the carpets where getting dicey.

I had been planning to re-organize supplies and get rid of stuff no longer needed and/or useful. See there, the Lord does answer prayers and helps when evenever. ;D Now it is up to me to go through all this stuff in the middle of the room in a timely fashion.

Has anyone missed you? They probably wouldn't have if their aim was better!

Nothing is worse than wated in the house--- Do you have USAA renter's insurance? USAA responds fast when things get wet. I have some experience with them on that subject.

Anyway, hope all gets dried out and back to normal soon.
    Dry as Las Vegas is, open the windows and let nature take its course.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Has anyone missed you? They probably wouldn't have if their aim was better!

Nothing is worse than wated in the house--- Do you have USAA renter's insurance? USAA responds fast when things get wet. I have some experience with them on that subject.

Anyway, hope all gets dried out and back to normal soon.
    Dry as Las Vegas is, open the windows and let nature take its course.
    Actually, I've been very fortunate, most of my things were up off the floor. The most valuable items of all would be my great-great-grandfathers letter sent to my great-great-grandmother just before he died in 1863. I had them in tubes, and the tubes were placed in a heavy plastic trash container. The letters couldn't have been replaced.

I had talked with the people at Creative Memories after Katrina about how to protect my things in a flood, and I had been taking precautions, knowing that the Las Vegas area is prone to flash floods. In fact, just across the street from my place is a flood zone. Weird - the area has been set up as a jogging course with signs every so often that it is a flood way.

Even in this low humidity, I'm still concerned about mold growing in inside the walls. How could I tell? Are there mold/mildew meters that one could buy?

MikeHalloran

Give it a week, and you'll smell it.

... or develop odd respiratory symptoms.

>>Even in this low humidity, I'm still concerned about mold growing in inside the walls. How could I tell? Are there mold/mildew meters that one could buy?<<

It would have to have been wet to grow mold and then not everyone is sensitive to it. It affects some folks with severe symptoms and some are never bothered.
    There are folks who can do an inspection for the stuff. Check around the baseboards -- look for signs of black-- if it shows, spray it with a weak mix of clorox and water, or you can buy a commercial mold/mildew killer that will get rid of the stuff quickly.