Thread: Religion Explained

Religion Explained

The way I see it, most religions are a way to control people's behaviour, sometimes with institutional systems.

The rules of religion cover morality, general 'right and wrong' and deal with things not easily addressed by secular law.

God or gods are usually in the 'nature of' or copy of man.

How else could God be so vengeful that he [note He] would kill his only son as punishment for the sins of humans [whom He created] when it wasn't the fault of the sonl?
    Redemption requires that you start out evil... which is to say we are born evil and need to be baptised to be saved...
    Well, that requires faith I don't have.

I don't worship as 'good' a God who is vengeful. I can however be in awe of 'god's work', or even 'god's wrath' in a beautiful day or an awful weather event respectively.. also I don't know much.

So I understand good and bad, and understand rules for the betterment of people, but like many non-attendees of church I think of Easter as an old Spring Festival which was adapted by Christianity.

Well, go that off my chest. What's the next problem?

Re: Religion Explained

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    The way I see it, most religions are a way to control people's behaviour, sometimes with institutional systems.

That is what Lord Byron called 'cant.' Or, as Ben Wilson says, 'the pretext of religion to justify social control.'

In any case it is an evil.

I am writing to you to ask for your help in shedding light on a perplexing situation I find myself contemplating. I have selected you as a group to aid me because you have known me for many years and value your opinion. Your religious experiences are varied and that is important to the problem I am faced with.

Over the years, we have all observed the seemingly random factors that affect all of our lives, sometimes without apparent rhyme or reason.

We have seen some marriages dissolve over nothing and others grow stronger under adverse conditions. We have seen fate play a role in who survives critical illnesses and who succumbs to them. We have all seen good people suffer great misfortunes while some people of low character thrive. In our lifetime, we have seen Churches and Religious institutions all around the world become revised, televised, energized and even scandalized. We are all well aware that a higher power has control of nearly all things.

Personally, I have stood in the doorway of a 7/11 in Atlanta, amid a shootout between the police and a gunman and walked away unscathed. On a golf course, I saw a lightning bolt strike a man dead
    while those of us nearby where untouched. We all watched as Hurricane Katrina ravaged some areas of the coast and left other nearby homes standing intact.

The enormity of these random and seemingly unfair applications of good or bad fortune is at the core of my dilemma.

I have flown over the heaviest defended area of the world and emerged unscathed - missed as tracers crossed over my canopy

I have studied sacred writings of all major religions searching for an answer, and now I pose the question to you.

I cannot fathom that the highest power in this universe could take Anna Nicole from us and leave Hillary behind.

I cannot fathom that the highest power in this universe could take Anna Nicole from us and leave Hillary behind.

ROFLMAO!!! ;D ;D ;D

I was expecting profound wisdom...... and well........I reckon I got that
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    I have studied sacred writings of all major religions searching for an answer, and now I pose the question to you.

a menopausal woman?

Who the hell as Anna Nicole? She that sad ex-covergirl drug od?

ColleenC1

Maybe there was a conversation between God and Satan. God told Satan "look I don't want either one of them so you pick which one you want, So Satan said... I'll take Anna Nicole and let Hillary do my work on Earth"