Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Ye Olde English Document Found

Ancient Ye Olde English Document Found

New Document discovered by tireless researcher Rob.

here photographed for the first time....

Re: Ancient Ye Olde English Document Found

The full document runs to many pages, far too dramatic and significant to publish here, but for a few snippets and an old photo of a 4 speed automatic... c1970 rebuilt 1987 by the knarled hand of hunchback... also photographed here after exhuming an EN40B nitrided steel crankshaft from a 1964 Mini Cooper 'S'

Eat yer heart out Eric!

Cast iron was never so good! Who needs a 455 Pontiac when you can have this! Without even leaving home!

Check out the combustion chambers and weep!

Quiet and Sedate? ....Hmmmmm.

At 20MPH maybe
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

At 20MPH maybe
    Cruel! Cruel! Hydrolastic, 55mph cruise. Perfick.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

That BMC engine pulls at me... I have always liked quirky, small cc engines. Fooled around with old VWs and Corvairs in the past; always enjoyed it...

mrblanche

Looks suspiciously like the small diesel engines that are in our reefer units!

>>Looks suspiciously like the small diesel engines that are in our reefer units!<<

We have people using stuff that size in model planes---

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Looks suspiciously like the small diesel engines that are in our reefer units!
    A bit heavier at 600lbs? The sparkplugs and caps may were removed to protect them during the hoist into the car [tight fit] and for cold cranking to get oil pressure. There was no dust or wind that fine day.
    The engine fired instantly. Required no adjustments except idle screw, and after about 2 years the body rusted away... I saw it three owners later receiving more rust repairs and the owner said how great the engine was, 70mph "all the way" to the West Coast and back... which made me smile.

Maybe I should rebuild my LS1? Nah. The factory does it better, and if I want to fo faster an LS6 or LS2 crate engine... ?

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    [ I saw it three owners later receiving more rust repairs and the owner said how great the engine was, 70mph "all the way" to the West Coast and back... which made me smile.

Maybe I should rebuild my LS1? Nah. The factory does it better, and if I want to fo faster an LS6 or LS2 crate engine... ?
    And what was the routing on that west coast trip? Greymouth to West Greymouth?

At 20MPH maybe
    Sorry.... I agree the Hydrolastic was good..... the old man had a couple of landcrabs....after his Jags!

Interesting site:
    http://austin1800.homestead.com/index.html
    Rex

Helical-cut gears!
    Luxury!

;D
    Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

TC

At 20MPH maybe
    Sorry.... I agree the Hydrolastic was good..... the old man had a couple of landcrabs....after his Jags!

Interesting site:
    Has any car ever done better than this?

A BMC 1800 broke seven International Class 'E' (1500cc-2000cc) at Monza, Italy in September 1967, in seven days and seven nights of continuous motoring.

This BMC 1800 travelled 15,589.76 miles at an average speed of 92.80 mph and set the following records:

1. 4 Days at 93.90 mph - 9,012.53 miles.

2. 5 Days at 93.42 mph - 11, 210.26 miles.

3. 6 Days at 93.24 mph - 13,426.95 miles.

4. 7 Days at 92.80 mph - 15,589.76 miles.

5. 15,000 kilometres at 92.64 mph.

6. 20,000 kilometres at 93.38 mph.

7. 25,000 kilometres at 92.78 mph.

The drivers were Roger Enever, Alec Poole, Rauno Aaltonen, Julien Vernaeve, Clive Baker and Tony Fall. Registration No. LBL 416E.

A radio was fitted to provide entertainment for the drivers during their long hours of motoring.

Quote Originally Posted by TC

At 20MPH maybe

Interesting site:
    Has any car ever done better than this?

A BMC 1800 broke seven International Class 'E' (1500cc-2000cc) at Monza, Italy in September 1967, in seven days and seven nights of continuous motoring.

This BMC 1800 travelled 15,589.76 miles at an average speed of 92.80 mph and set the following records:

1. 4 Days at 93.90 mph - 9,012.53 miles.

2. 5 Days at 93.42 mph - 11, 210.26 miles.

3. 6 Days at 93.24 mph - 13,426.95 miles.

4. 7 Days at 92.80 mph - 15,589.76 miles.

5. 15,000 kilometres at 92.64 mph.

6. 20,000 kilometres at 93.38 mph.

7. 25,000 kilometres at 92.78 mph.

The drivers were Roger Enever, Alec Poole, Rauno Aaltonen, Julien Vernaeve, Clive Baker and Tony Fall. Registration No. LBL 416E.

A radio was fitted to provide entertainment for the drivers during their long hours of motoring.
    You'll never get Americans to understand the beauty of this towering acheivement!

It took BMC about six months to fix oil-foaming in the 1800. They recommended about 1.5 pints less oil in the engine/box. It was a fine car.
    There are original Austin 1750s still running around the suburb where I live. Slightly battered but un-rebuilt.

You'll never get Americans to understand the beauty of this towering acheivement!

It took BMC about six months to fix oil-foaming in the 1800. They recommended about 1.5 pints less oil in the engine/box. It was a fine car.
    There are original Austin 1750s still running around the suburb where I live. Slightly battered but un-rebuilt.
    Wasn't the 1750 also called the Nomad or Maxi......

Rex

The 1500 version might have been called Nomad, the 1750 a Maxi, but it's all trainspotting stuff. Dave Brand is a closet trainspotter, he will know, and if he doesn't, his name is besmirched regardless.

here is quote from a message I sent elsewhere today, which will double as a resuest for information about 1900AD GWR operating practice and explain all.

Yes I hope to work something out with the Lord of the Isles.

I'm trying to think of ways to make steel look more realistic... the Dean Goods got black rods yesterday, and they looked 'just right' when the paint was wet. I might experiment a bit. It would be hard to make the LotI look very realistic close up... with the front bogie and front coupling.. Peter's model looks as good as that can get, so I might try a bit more of an overhead angle than usual. Five celestory carriages behind on the wide curve is the plan...

I'm not sure about grass and fences, especally permanently, but moveable farm-fence woukd be good. I'll be looking around for farmyard fence in the $2 Shop tomorrow, or kid's toys, or maybe even devise a way to make something from scrap like drining in nails and then cutting the heads off and stretching fuse wire beween... or cotton, or something.

I like the litte patches of green in the ballast in your layout, I made the edges of the ballast in my last pic different by sanding away the edge of the ballast with a flap-wheel on a drill, and sandpaper, and then used some brownish white housepaint [white brown half-mixed on a lid] .. it sounds more complex than it is when you are in the mood to just muck around.

I notice that my Dean Goods pic is full of 'errors'. Driver is on the wrong side for GWR. Headlamps should be on tender.
    Also there are 3 headlamps on the engine and I'm not sure of GWR headcodes!
    I will place my Hornby signalbox by the track for LotI but I doubt it's c1900. Also my upper-quadrant 'home' signals will look good for 1940s LNER but I have my doubts about old GWR mainline practice between, say, Cheltenham and Worcester...

ahh, the worries. I think the GWR used to run helper engines next to the train, rather than as pilot, so a 'double-header' would have to have the Dean behind the Lord. Unless it was a goods engine sent out to help a broken-down or stalled express. So I might read up a bit on it and concoct some vaguely possible story.

I've seen GWR headcodes somewhere but cannot remember where. Might have to just use old photos.

All suggestions about fences and signals and grass-effects gratefully received. I very much like your track ballast -> scenery. Oddly, your 'grey' ballast is probably more realistic for 1900 'Dunster' than it may have been in 1964, and my brown ballast is the opposite. The old pre-1930s photos show most railway environs very manicured, out in the country at least, but not always. One thing about the ballast on your layout, you can remove some of it, or colour it with watered-down brown, and even expose some sleepers... the trouble with mine is that in photos the 'lie' of the ballast and the spacing of the slightly more exposed sleepers never looks quite right.

I've today booked my car in for a bit more work on the exhaust;
    You see?

I can do the paint and effects, but never get the detail right.

The 1500 version might have been called Nomad, the 1750 a Maxi, but it's all trainspotting stuff. Dave Brand is a closet trainspotter, he will know, and if he doesn't, his name is besmirched regardless.
    OK, here we go! The Maxi was the first car to use the E-series engine, initially as a 1500 but within a couple of years of its introduction they found a way of stretching it to 1750. The Nomad was an Aussie version of the 1100/1300 with a Maxi-style rear end cobbled on to make it a hatchback, with a 1500 E-series engine.

The E-series was also used in highline versions of the Allegro - BL's successful attempt to prove that, as big a disaster as the Maxi was, they could do even worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand

OK, here we go! The Maxi was the first car to use the E-series engine, initially as a 1500 but within a couple of years of its introduction they found a way of stretching it to 1750. The Nomad was an Aussie version of the 1100/1300 with a Maxi-style rear end cobbled on to make it a hatchback, with a 1500 E-series engine.

The E-series was also used in highline versions of the Allegro - BL's successful attempt to prove that, as big a disaster as the Maxi was, they could do even worse!
    Thanks for that... I remember both Nomads and Maxis in NZ.......probably still a few floating around.
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand

It wasn't THAT bad.

Or maybe it was. My neighbour had an automatic 1500 Maxi. Got it for a good price and it went ok. SOHC IIRC. Then he emigrated to Australia, a broken man....

Of the older britcar engines I always had a soft spot for the Austin 6 cylinder OHV as in some Westminsters. I rebuilt some as a young engine-builder in a commercial engine-reconditioning shop. Very ample in the size and weight of the block castings and altogether quite easy to make to run well... a bit like a Chevy Blue-Flame 'six' but British!

Ah, Pininfarina, leather, boat-like steering, and class! [and actually very quiet at 60-70mph]

Seems like the 10" tires are the real suspension...