Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under-appreciated muscle cars?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Under-appreciated muscle cars?

Some say AMCs (Javelin SSTs, AMXs, etc.). Others Buicks. Which muscle cars of the '60s and '70s do you think are least appreciated - and deserve more respect?

mrblanche

Re: Under-appreciated muscle cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Some say AMCs (Javelin SSTs, AMXs, etc.). Others Buicks. Which muscle cars of the '60s and '70s do you think are least appreciated - and deserve more respect?
    GTX? Was that a Doge or a Plymouth? The Satellites were, in general, pretty darn good.

You don't hear much about them, but I always wanted one.

I liked the Javelin...... but don't think it was that popular.
    Australia even had them in RHD form I think.... AMC was Rambler in NZ and I think OZ also
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

MikeHalloran

I still miss my '66 Galaxie 390/ 4bbl/ 4sp 2dr HT.

A neighbor stopped me one day and said he didn't even like cars, but he loved the sound that one made.

I did too.

mrblanche

There were Javelins, and then there were Javelins. They have a certain "niche" appeal that is really helping their value right now. And you don't even want to know what an AMX is worth.

"GTX? Was that a Doge or a Plymouth? The Satellites were, in general, pretty darn good."

Plymouth... I had a buddy in HS who owned a '71 model with the 440 4-barrel... it was a fierce machine!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    I still miss my '66 Galaxie 390/ 4bbl/ 4sp 2dr HT.

A neighbor stopped me one day and said he didn't even like cars, but he loved the sound that one made.

I did too.

Those are neat - and pricey these days, too.

I think AMCs are still relatively affordable. Buicks like the GSX have gone through the roof, along with GTOs, Chevelles and so on.

Studebakers, though, are still cheap. I always liked the Silver Hawk (the Golden Hawk was a bit garish).

mrblanche

Plymouth... I had a buddy in HS who owned a '71 model with the 440 4-barrel... it was a fierce machine!
    The GTX is described today as "The Gentleman's RoadRunner."

Staff

How cars like the Chevy Biscayne with the 409? Or the Plymouth Belvedere with the 440. Those cars were known as sleepers. I liked the AMC Javelin as well. I'll take mine with the 401.

MikeHalloran

I thought the Javelin looked nice. I even thought about buying one, until I rented one. You had to open the door to fish the seatbelt out from behind you. It drove me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    I thought the Javelin looked nice. I even thought about buying one, until I rented one. You had to open the door to fish the seatbelt out from behind you. It drove me crazy.

I liked the Javelin also. Weird, but kind of cool-looking. Ditto those 401 Matadors that were used as cop cars....

mrblanche

I liked the Javelin also. Weird, but kind of cool-looking. Ditto those 401 Matadors that were used as cop cars....
    A couple of years ago, the Hot Rod Power Tour kicked off from here in the DFW area. One guy on the tour had a really nice Matador, and it was no slouch, either.

I don't think any MOPAR muscle cars could be considered "under-appreciated".

Overrated is more like it. MOPAR never had anything but cheap horsepower and flasy looks. Chrysler chassis development in the '60s sucked. Anything with the Chrysler torsion bar front suspension is a pig on the road. And then there's the horribly overweight Challenger/'Cuda line.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I don't think any MOPAR muscle cars could be considered "under-appreciated".

Overrated is more like it. MOPAR never had anything but cheap horsepower and flasy looks. Chrysler chassis development in the '60s sucked. Anything with the Chrysler torsion bar front suspension is a pig on the road. And then there's the horribly overweight Challenger/'Cuda line.
    Yeah.... all true... but damn, they looked good!

mrblanche

Yes, even with flowered vinyl roofs!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Yes, even with flowered vinyl roofs!
    My high school buddy Stuart's '71 GTX was root beer brown with a white vinyl roof... that car was absolutely fierce!

larryflew

whether you were a mopar fan of the time (more now than then) everyone has to admit the colors and color names where awesome. Glad the new chargers etc come in close to the old colors.

Just traded my last Vette for a Magnum Hemi BTW.

I would have to say after very careful thought that the most under appreciated muscle car was the '71 AMC SC/360 Hornet. This car was quick and was very cheap to own however most overlooked the car and many have forgotten it. If you mention this car to most muscle car fans they will reply they never heard of it. The '71 SC/360 Hornet came equipped with a 360 with a 2bbl rated at 245 horsepower (standard) and optional (as the Go-Pack option) a 4 bbl carb was available and it bumped the horsepower up to 285 horsepower. This is not earth shattering however in a 3,100 lb car which weighed at least 800 lbs less than most '71 muscle cars, it equated to some good performance. The 285 horsepower 360/SC Hornet was good for 0-60 in 6.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 14.9 seconds @ 95 mph which beat quite a few '71 muscle cars. Also the '71 SC/360 Hornet could be optioned with 3.90 gears. The car even had ram air or cold air induction (the hood scoops were solenoid driven). So that's my vote.

Here's a rare 4-speed for sale for those looking for a nice collectable I am sorry to inform you it looks like it is sold - check out the different pictures by scrolling down to the right side you'll see 4 different photos one in a different area of the car):

http://www.classicmusclecars.com/cgi...nvestment;;sb-

And here's some more info on the car (scroll to the bottom, which proves even in the AMC world the car is not appreciated now that's "no respect"):

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...-history.shtml

And here's a photo:

Good call!

I remember this car, also the "Machine" (had a neat hood with a molded-in tach, plus scoop, as I remember it..)

AMC in general tend to get passed-by; I always liked their "different drummer" attitude, myself!

I too liked their "different drummer" attitude. The "Machine" did indeed have neat hood. It also had the red/white/blue paint schema similar to the previous year '69 SC/Rambler (which had two different schemas).

Here's the Rebel:

And here's the SC/Rambler:

And here's the SC/Rambler with the 2nd available paint schema: