Thread: riding with bad back

riding with bad back

I have a question here that I'm looking for answers from some experienced riders, as Ive only had my first bike since December & have maybe had 7 or 8 times of being on it. My question is this: I had a bad back since 1997 when I had spinal implants/fusion done for scoliosis (curvature of the spine). I had no problems with my back acting up & was able to ride without any problems despite my back. However, on March 1st I was in a pretty severe car accident (no I wasn't on my bike thankfully), however I injured my back pretty bad, to where almost every vertebrae in the back was subluxated (or shifted out of proper position), in return that caused me to have a very severe case of nerve impingement (piniching of my nerves) & along with pressure on my discs. I was disabled & unable to even work for the whole month of March. The chiropractor & doctors I have seen said that I have improved greatly & even I have noticed that I have definately improved, although I still have some subluxations, some nerves being pinched & am still in pain. I am itching to get back on my bike now that we are having 80 degree days, however do not want to make my injuries worse. So I am looking to those experienced riders out there, to see if they feel I should be able to ride again, or if I should wait until later down the road to try riding again. The type of bike I have is a 1983 Honda CB550SC Nighthawk, so its not one of those crotch rockets to where I am huntched over the take or one those bikes that are really rough going down the road. Please repost on your advice on if you's think I'm safe to get back on it now, if I should wait until I'm not having any problems before getting back on it, or worst case not ride again. Thanks in advance.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: riding with bad back

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406
    I have a question here that I'm looking for answers from some experienced riders, as Ive only had my first bike since December & have maybe had 7 or 8 times of being on it. My question is this: I had a bad back since 1997 when I had spinal implants/fusion done for scoliosis (curvature of the spine). I had no problems with my back acting up & was able to ride without any problems despite my back. However, on March 1st I was in a pretty severe car accident (no I wasn't on my bike thankfully), however I injured my back pretty bad, to where almost every vertebrae in the back was subluxated (or shifted out of proper position), in return that caused me to have a very severe case of nerve impingement (piniching of my nerves) & along with pressure on my discs. I was disabled & unable to even work for the whole month of March. The chiropractor & doctors I have seen said that I have improved greatly & even I have noticed that I have definately improved, although I still have some subluxations, some nerves being pinched & am still in pain. I am itching to get back on my bike now that we are having 80 degree days, however do not want to make my injuries worse. So I am looking to those experienced riders out there, to see if they feel I should be able to ride again, or if I should wait until later down the road to try riding again. The type of bike I have is a 1983 Honda CB550SC Nighthawk, so its not one of those crotch rockets to where I am huntched over the take or one those bikes that are really rough going down the road. Please repost on your advice on if you's think I'm safe to get back on it now, if I should wait until I'm not having any problems before getting back on it, or worst case not ride again. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your injury, first of all....

On the rest:

It's good you don't have an aggressive sport bike, for starters. The riding position as well as the stiff ride (in part caused by the aggressive tires suchbikes tend to have) would not do your back any favors. Your Nighthawk has a muchmore forgiving riding position, and its shocks can be set for a pretty soft ride, too. You might look into an aftermarket seat with more cushioning. Corbin makes great stuff.

First,though, I'd ask your doctor for his opinion about riding given your injuries. It may not be a good idea... keep in mind that riding involves moving your body with the bike in a way that driving doesn't. Weight shift, leaning, etc. - I'd seek a medical opinion before getting on the bike, frankly....

Bad Backs ........ Misery!

I think anyone who has never suffered one doesn't know the pain and discomfort.

I had a laminectomy 20 something years ago, after spending the 2 weeks prior to the op crawling, as my sciatic nerve was so badly pinched.

I too was worried when I bought my bike 20 months ago and indeed has misgivings as I got the odd twinge.
    I overcame that by doing short rides every day, and longer ones at the weekend.
    The guy at the dealership had said it all....."You have to get fit to ride"

I can now ride for distance even on our roads for reasonable lengths of time

Take it easy ....and do touch base with your doctor

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

I had a laminectomy 20 something years ago, after spending the 2 weeks prior to the op crawling, as my sciatic nerve was so badly pinched.

I too was worried when I bought my bike 20 months ago and indeed has misgivings as I got the odd twinge.

Bad back, bad knee.. any of that can make riding uncomfortable - even potentially dangerous. If, for, instance, the need to shift your weight/use certain muscles triggers an intense pain reaction, it could lead to loss of control - and a wreck.

Riding, of course, is muchmore physical than driving. One can handle a car quite well even with significant phsyical limitations/weaknesses. On a bike, though, one needs both strength and flexibility - especially for any kind of sport riding. (This is why you'll rarely, if ever, see a competitive racer who isn't also in superb condition..)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Bad back, bad knee.. any of that can make riding uncomfortable - even potentially dangerous. If, for, instance, the need to shift your weight/use certain muscles triggers an intense pain reaction, it could lead to loss of control - and a wreck.

Riding, of course, is muchmore physical than driving. One can handle a car quite well even with significant phsyical limitations/weaknesses. On a bike, though, one needs both strength and flexibility - especially for any kind of sport riding. (This is why you'll rarely, if ever, see a competitive racer who isn't also in superb condition..)

I apprecriate both of your answers. After reading all answers on here, along with all the answers on the other forums I belong to, I have came to the decision that the best thing for me to do at this point is to wait a little longer until I am not having as much pain, than talk to the doctors & chiropractor to get their opinion, than just get on the bike, take it slow & easy all the way, go through all the motions I would have to while riding for several days (shifting, leaning as I would in turns, stopping, etc. to see if theres any pain, if there is than hold off & if there isn't, than take it slow by going out for several short rides to see how I do & listen to what my body is telling me.

"I apprecriate both of your answers. After reading all answers on here, along with all the answers on the other forums I belong to, I have came to the decision that the best thing for me to do at this point is to wait a little longer until I am not having as much pain, than talk to the doctors & chiropractor to get their opinion, than just get on the bike, take it slow & easy all the way, go through all the motions I would have to while riding for several days (shifting, leaning as I would in turns, stopping, etc. to see if theres any pain, if there is than hold off & if there isn't, than take it slow by going out for several short rides to see how I do & listen to what my body is telling me."

Good call!

Better to ease back into it than rush - and regret... .

I almost learned this the hard way once - when I decided to do a track day even though my left knee was messed up and I could hardly put any weight on it. I did few laps before realizing it was time to chuck it... and call it a day. Sucked watching everyone else have a ripping good time.. but I didn't wreck my bike or hurt myself, so it seemed like the right choice in lookingback on it....

I will not be getting on the bike just yet. I found out today while at the chiropractors & also recieving physical therapy that my low back pain is caused by my sciatic nerve being pinched & it is close to being cut off from nerve supply all togather. Do to this my range of movement is far from what it should be for my left leg, thigh & hip. So I'm holding off on my bike, until that is taken care of as there is just to much risk involved of not only possibly making my injuries worse, but also having an accident.

I will not be getting on the bike just yet. I found out today while at the chiropractors & also recieving physical therapy that my low back pain is caused by my sciatic nerve being pinched & it is close to being cut off from nerve supply all togather. Do to this my range of movement is far from what it should be for my left leg, thigh & hip. So I'm holding off on my bike, until that is taken care of as there is just to much risk involved of not only possibly making my injuries worse, but also having an accident.
    It sucks not to be able to enjoy the spring weather, etc. - but I think you are doing the smart thing here... .

Bummer!!! You may have to have a radiculargram/mylogran to find the exact problem.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Bummer!!! You may have to have a radiculargram/mylogran to find the exact problem.
    I apprecriate the advice to find the exact problem, however that I don't need, as the problem is a severe subluxation of my L3 vertebrae, which is in return pinching the nerve. The subluxation should be gone in a matter of a week or so, however my disc than need time to recover from being pinched off as well as the nerve, and need physical therapy to get it back to the way it was before the accident. I'm in good hands & am being treated by one of the best chiropractors & physical therapists in my area. Thanks anyways & if I progress the way I've been progressing I should be back on the bike around July or August.

It will probably be a month or two or so before I get back on the bike for a regular basis, however I did get on it today & was able to do a couple short rides without problems, so I will continue to take it slow but it looks like I should be good. I originally got on & off a couple times with no problems, than went through all the same motions I would have to go through, than did the small rides. My lower back hurts just a tad bit after everything, but no more pain than I've been having, so as long as I continue to take it slow & don't go for long rides until I'm better, I should be able to make it without any problems. Thanks to everyone for their support & answers.

It will probably be a month or two or so before I get back on the bike for a regular basis, however I did get on it today & was able to do a couple short rides without problems, so I will continue to take it slow but it looks like I should be good. I originally got on & off a couple times with no problems, than went through all the same motions I would have to go through, than did the small rides. My lower back hurts just a tad bit after everything, but no more pain than I've been having, so as long as I continue to take it slow & don't go for long rides until I'm better, I should be able to make it without any problems. Thanks to everyone for their support & answers.
    You bet!

And: Have you had time to check into the Corbin seats?

No I haven't had time to look in to the Corbin seats yet and it may not be for a while as I won't be afford one for a while. I haven't forgot about them though.

No I haven't had time to look in to the Corbin seats yet and it may not be for a while as I won't be afford one for a while. I haven't forgot about them though.
    Yep!

You might also keep an eye on Ebay; I have found stuff like this (in new/near-new condition) for half or less the "store bought" price...