Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Help Me Choose:

Re: Please Help Me Choose:

What's fun about it? 195/60R15 tires on steel wheels (probably Ameritech or General or some other bottom-feeder commodity-level tire...), drum rear brakes, "Premium Ride Suspension", a whopping 148 HP, doesn't look like much of an enthusiast car. I bet a Hyundai/Kia/Suzuki would be more fun...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    What's fun about it? 195/60R15 tires on steel wheels (probably Ameritech or General or some other bottom-feeder commodity-level tire...), drum rear brakes, "Premium Ride Suspension", a whopping 148 HP, doesn't look like much of an enthusiast car. I bet a Hyundai/Kia/Suzuki would be more fun...
    I pointed that out to Mike; the Cobalt's a solid little car - but the sedan version can't be considered any sort of performance/enthusiast's car. And while the Cobalt SS can be so considered, it's only available as a coupe - and unless I missed something in your original post, you were looking for a sedan/wagon....

Not a sedan, just any body style with a hatch. Whether it's a hatchback sedan, hatchback coupe, or wagon doesn't really matter, although hatchback coupe would be the first choice.

I bought a VW today.

When I left the house this morning I was still undecided between the VW and the Subaru. It came down to "if I turn left it'll take me to the VW dealer and if I turn right I'll be headed to the Subaru place." I turned left.

I told the guy I wanted a red GTI 3-door 6-speed manual with the 18" wheel/tire option and the Option Package 1 (sunroof and a few other small goodies). He got on the computer to locate one. He didn't find any. He widened the search radius, and still didn't find any. He finally found a few cars that met spec but they were halfway across the country, and then he started talking about transport options and fees, and asked if I had a second choice for color. I told him if I couldn't have red, then white would be my second choice. With white, he had considerably more hits, including one on the lot. The one I test drove last week. It's white, 6-speed 3-door, with the 18" summer tire package, but instead of Option Package 1 it had Option Package 2 -- leather seats, sunroof, satellite radio. And I let myself get talked into it.

I didn't have a KBB quote for that option package at hand, so I just looked at the one for the car I wanted, counted the difference between MRSP and Invoice, subtracted that from the MSRP of the white car, and said if they'd take that and give me $500 for my trade-in, I'd do it. They accepted my offer.

So I really wasn't expecting to drive a new car home today, but I did. Fun.

Congratulations!

I think you'll find this is a very fun car - and (fingers crossed) it will hopefully hold up well over the years.

I think, also, that going with white was a smart move. Less noticeable. I am always fearful when knocking around in a red anything - even if it's an SUV. Cops draw a bead on you like a laser beam.

Run silent, run deep. That's the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Congratulations!

I think you'll find this is a very fun car - and (fingers crossed) it will hopefully hold up well over the years.

I think, also, that going with white was a smart move. Less noticeable. I am always fearful when knocking around in a red anything - even if it's an SUV. Cops draw a bead on you like a laser beam.

I've had red cars from 1979-->1991, and from 1996-->yesterday, and never felt like I was under any extra scrutiny.

Congratulations!

I've had red cars from 1979-->1991, and from 1996-->yesterday, and never felt like I was under any extra scrutiny.

Maybe it's just the way I drive!

But I can tell you, based on nearly 15 years now of regularly test-driving new cars, that the red ones seem to get more attention from the cops.

I've gotten away with some "Cannonball Run" trips in cars like white/silver Taurus wagons...

WRT the Miracle Gas Savers thread, all four of these cars ship with synthetic oil.

For the price of my 2007 Volkswagen, in 1969 I could have purchased my choice of a Rolls Silver Shadow or a Ferrari Daytona, and had enough left over to get a VW Beetle.

For the price of my 2007 Volkswagen, in 1969 I could have purchased my choice of a Rolls Silver Shadow or a Ferrari Daytona, and had enough left over to get a VW Beetle.
    But not on an adjusted for inflation basis!

A six grand car was a big ticket purchase in the '60s...

That would get you into a Cadillac.

A Ferrari or a Roller was about $19,995.

That would get you into a Cadillac.

A Ferrari or a Roller was about $19,995.
    Yep!

My '76 Trans-Am was just under $6,000 when it was new...

I'm going through the remorse phase right now. A couple of things that I didn't take much notice of during the test drive are bothering me now.

First of all, for a subcompact, this thing sure is big. Big and tall. I'm beginning to realize that I look DOWN at other cars when I pass them, even big cars like 7-series BMWs. The driver in a GTI sits about as high as the driver of a Ford Ranger pickup or an old Jeep Cherokee. I've been a vocal opponent of the "tall car" trend for several years, now I've got one.

Secondly, the white color isn't growing on me. It looks like a refrigerator. I'm a little upset with myself for allowing the salesmen to railroad me into a purchase that wasn't 100% exactly like I wanted.

Right now, if I could re-live this past week, I'd go back and buy the Subaru. But I'll get over it. I'm sure if I'd got the Subaru I'd be complaining about something else. I think the source of the funds for this purchase may have soured it for me -- I'm spending money that I inherited from my recently-deceased father. There's a part of me that won't let me enjoy personally profiting from his death. I'll get over that too. At some point I'll bond with this car.

I think it will grow on you - and I think it's reasonable to have mixed emotions, given your father's death, etc.

As far as the car's size - today's "compacts" are a bit larger than compact-class cars used to be; the really small cars today are cars like the Honda Fit, Chevy Aveo, Toyota Yaris, etc. The VW does have a taller roofline, but that can be a blessing as far as headroom is concerned. Being tall, I find myself having to slouch down low in some sporty/compact cars (esp. if they have a sunroof). That really ruins a car!

As far as the car's color, etc. - if it seems plain, there are ways to jazz it up, such as a set of aftermarket wheels and tires, lowering it, etc. And there's one definite advantage relative to a metallic color, etc. - chips are very easy to fix/blend in to the finish!

mrblanche

We once rented a Jetta for a vacation. It was a second choice, but we grew very fond of it.

I wish I could have afforded a new Jetta or Beetle TDI when we bought the Cobalt, but it would have been twice the price. Now that diesel and gasoline are close in price, that 50 mpg would be nice!

Oddly, VW are not offerring Diesel cars for 2007. I understand they'll be back for 2008. Something about federal regulations, fuel quality, and...???

mrblanche

Oddly, VW are not offerring Diesel cars for 2007. I understand they'll be back for 2008. Something about federal regulations, fuel quality, and...???
    2007 diesel engines have to have what is essentially a self-regenerating catalytic combustor.