Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scooters

Scooters

I saw one of these on I-40 this morning.

http://powersports.honda.com/scooter...odelId=FSC6007

(Honda Silverwing)

He was able to keep up with 75mph traffic, with only a 582cc engine and a decidedly vertical riding position.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Scooters

>>I saw one of these on I-40 this morning.

(Honda Silverwing)

He was able to keep up with 75mph traffic, with only a 582cc engine and a decidedly vertical riding position.<<

Funny this came up-- I just bought a used Honda Helix---
    http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/helix.html

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I saw one of these on I-40 this morning.

(Honda Silverwing)

He was able to keep up with 75mph traffic, with only a 582cc engine and a decidedly vertical riding position.

Chip H.
    a 582 cc is actually pretty large by bike standards; most "middleweight" sport bikes are in this size range - and theseare 150mph machines...

My ancient '83 CB550 Nighthawk also has no problem keeping up with highway traffic....

My only worry with scooters at speed are....................... the little wheels!
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

mrblanche

582 cc is pretty good sized. Dottie and I rode two-up on my Yamaha 350 at 70 mph with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    582 cc is pretty good sized. Dottie and I rode two-up on my Yamaha 350 at 70 mph with no problem.
    Yep!

Remember, the H1 Triple was a 500.... and it was hell on wheels!

A new Kaw Ninja 600 is an absolute rocket....

I suspect these modern scooters have much more power than many of us associate with "scooters" - based on what we rode 20-30 years ago....

OK, sorry, I didn't make my point clear -- the riding position is upright (as in... sitting in a chair), so the aerodynamics are piss-poor (a brick with two wheels). And yet, he was able to keep up.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

But that was the "riding position" on all those old bikes we just mentioned!

If you do a power-to-weight ratio study, you'll find those bikes were pretty good.

DonTom

"Dottie and I rode two-up on my Yamaha 350 at 70 mph with no problem."

I learnt the hard way to not lug the engine on a Honda CL350 in 1968.

I was riding double at 70 MPH or slightly above, into some wind, full throttle. I was on the San Mateo-Hayward bridge when I started to run on a single cylinder. Pre-ignition. Was towed home. No electrode on spark plug and nice sized hole in piston.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "Dottie and I rode two-up on my Yamaha 350 at 70 mph with no problem."

I learnt the hard way to not lug the engine on a Honda CL350 in 1968.

I was riding double at 70 MPH or slightly above, into some wind, full throttle. I was on the San Mateo-Hayward bridge when I started to run on a single cylinder. Pre-ignition. Was towed home. No electrode on spark plug and nice sized hole in piston.

-Don-

Ow!

With air-cooled engines (triples especially) this is always a serious concern...

>>OK, sorry, I didn't make my point clear -- the riding position is upright (as in... sitting in a chair), so the aerodynamics are piss-poor (a brick with two wheels). And yet, he was able to keep up.<<

A very comfortable position on the Helix and Silver Wing--- For the size & weight, my Helix does very well at 250CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>OK, sorry, I didn't make my point clear -- the riding position is upright (as in... sitting in a chair), so the aerodynamics are piss-poor (a brick with two wheels). And yet, he was able to keep up.<<

A very comfortable position on the Helix and Silver Wing--- For the size & weight, my Helix does very well at 250CC.

With modern bikes, a 250 cc engine is usually plenty adequate; a 650 "more than you need," etc!

>>With modern bikes, a 250 cc engine is usually plenty adequate; a 650 "more than you need," etc!<<

When I was in Japan in 1954/5, I owned a 1952 model Honda Dream. 200 CC. On a good day, downhill with a tailwind, it would do 90KPH-- That's 60 MPH!

Drove from Brisbane to home last night... saw a scooter refueling and later overtook it... A honda Elite I think....reckon it must have been 250cc as was keeping up with the 110kph and with 2 up.

Suspension seemed to be working overtime

Both on the scooter were in shorts and wearing thongs (jandals/flip-flops). Ouch!
    Rex

>>Both on the scooter were in shorts and wearing thongs (jandals/flip-flops). Ouch!<<

And probably no helmets either!

>>Both on the scooter were in shorts and wearing thongs (jandals/flip-flops). Ouch!<<

And probably no helmets either!
    They did have half face helmets ......but what good is half a face if you can off

I was amazed that they would travel at thos speeds on this particular highway which in places is quite rough. They were even overtaking......that took forever so cars were banking up behind them in the process until they pulled back into the other lane.

Indestructible youth??
    Rex

>>Indestructible youth??<<

Everyone is immortal at that age

>>Indestructible youth??<<

Everyone is immortal at that age
    When my friend Stuart (17 at the time) bought it in his '71 GTX 440 (snapped his neck when thecar rolled after he didn'tmake a curve) I realized we're not allowed to live forever. I was 18. A sobering experience.

>>When my friend Stuart (17 at the time) bought it in his '71 GTX 440 (snapped his neck when thecar rolled after he didn'tmake a curve) I realized we're not allowed to live forever. I was 18. A sobering experience. <<

Something like that will definitely get your attention! I received my experience a couple of years older than you. I watched one of our squadron airplanes snap roll and go into the water. Caused by the instructor putting an inexperienced pilot into a dangerous situation.

>>When my friend Stuart (17 at the time) bought it in his '71 GTX 440 (snapped his neck when thecar rolled after he didn'tmake a curve) I realized we're not allowed to live forever. I was 18. A sobering experience. <<

Something like that will definitely get your attention! I received my experience a couple of years older than you. I watched one of our squadron airplanes snap roll and go into the water. Caused by the instructor putting an inexperienced pilot into a dangerous situation.
    It will.

Many of us get that lesson fairly early on. In my case, it brought home the reality of death (and the value of life). It caused me to think a lot about what I wanted to do with the years alloted to me - and I think it helped me avoid the horror so many people end up facing of being middle-aged and realizing they made some very poor choices ... and both regretting them while being unable to do much about their after-effects.