Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe I just wasn't paying attention...

mrblanche

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention...

but a passing reference in a news report got me curious.

Much has been said here about the religious beliefs of politicians, but I hadn't paid any close attention to actual affiliation. ]

I was surprised to discover there are 6 Mormons in the Senate, and 16 in the House.

The one that really surprised me was Harry Reid!

D_E_Davis

Re: Maybe I just wasn't paying attention...

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I was surprised to discover there are 6 Mormons in the Senate, and 16 in the House.
    As long as they do their jobs properly it should be of minimal interest.

Attention has risen, due to some attempting to find something sinister in Romney. The same was going on when JFK ran for president.

I fear that my prejudice is rearing its ugly head, but there is no way I would vote for someone who is a member of that irrational cult. Their belief system is so absurd that I cannot trust the judgement of anyone who buys into it. I try to make allowances for theological differences, because people cannot help the way they were brought up. But some religions are too much to ignore. For me Mormonism is one of those.

mrblanche

Well, apparently Reid is able to ignore it all; I understand he's not popular with a lot of people in his own church, so maybe he's doing something right.

I have to say the one legislator who is reportedly a member of the church I grew up in is a big embarrassment to me, too.

DonTom

"But some religions are too much to ignore. For me Mormonism is one of those."

IMAO, all such superstitious nonsense is about the same as any other superstitious nonsense.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom

IMAO, all such superstitious nonsense is about the same as any other superstitious nonsense.

-Don-
    Well, the more recently, and the more well-documented it is when men made up the false spiritual nonsense, the less likely I am to tolerate it. Which is why I have more disdain for Rastafarianism, Mormonism, and Scientology than I do for, say, Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Not to mention Hindusim, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Shinto. While the older ones may not be any less false, they at least have the gravitas and tradition that comes from having been around for a long time. The upstarts, I tend to think, could still be nipped in the bud.

ColleenC1

I fear that my prejudice is rearing its ugly head, but there is no way I would vote for someone who is a member of that irrational cult. Their belief system is so absurd that I cannot trust the judgement of anyone who buys into it. I try to make allowances for theological differences, because people cannot help the way they were brought up. But some religions are too much to ignore. For me Mormonism is one of those.

I ask the question, really what does ones religous belief has to do with being President. The Only one I would object to is MUSLIM OR ISLAM!! I would be more afraid of a Black or White Supremist then one who goes to church on Sundays

gail

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

Much has been said here about the religious beliefs of politicians, but I hadn't paid any close attention to actual affiliation. ]

You're surprised! Imagine how us Mormons feel about him. He used to be a really nice guy. We all figure he has sold his soul.

DonTom

" what does ones religous belief has to do with being President."

Why would anybody want a president that cannot tell reality from superstitious nonsense?

-Don-

ColleenC1

Why would anybody want a president that cannot tell reality from superstitious nonsense?

Maybe you're the one who can't tell reality from superstitious nonsense...

I would rather live my life as if there is a
    God, and die to find out there isn't, Than
    live my life as if there isn't, and die to
    find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC1

find out there is.
    So what happens if one dies, learns that there is a God and learns further that the God has no interest in dead humans, prefers to drink beer and play darts?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

find out there is.
    So what happens if one dies, learns that there is a God and learns further that the God has no interest in dead humans, prefers to drink beer and play darts?
    And ride fast motorcycles and cars, and red qwine as the sun goes down. ;D
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

DonTom

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, Than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is".

IMAO, if there is a god, She hates the people who believe in Her. If She wanted us to know that She exists, we would be born knowing such.

The only thing I believe about God is that She hates religious nonsense and the people who believe in it. Look at all the evils religion does in this world. Even what happened on 9-11-01 was because of religious nonsense.

"To what great evils has religion been able to impel men!"
    -Lucretius

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
    - Blaise Pascal

"If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion."
    --Goncourt

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
    -Seneca the Younger

"Man is the only animal with the one true religion. Several of them!"
    -Mark Twain

-Don Quoteman

Having stepped in shit and then put my foot in my mouth, I'm bowing out of this thread.

mrblanche

The problem, of course, is that my religion is your superstition.

And, as Arafat said (but not in Arabic!), a religious war is like two children arguing over who has the best imaginary friend.

Hey, a neat science fiction series is the "Giant's Star" series by James P. Hogan. It has a great take on religion. Good writer, too.

ColleenC1

Having stepped in shit and then put my foot in my mouth, I'm bowing out of this thread.

Chicken ;D You should have known!!! This group gets hostile when talking about religion and politics!!

gail

Chicken ;D You should have known!!! This group gets hostile when talking about religion and politics!!
    Nah - - he didn't get anywhere near the shit pile - but I promised Eric I wouldn't talk religion or politics on this forum (even though he has since that pac was made), so I didn't go on a rant directed towards either Don or misterdecibel. But Lord and most posters know that I could. (Where is my angel icon?)

gail

-Don-
    Boy, are you in for a rude awakening when you cross the bar.

ColleenC1

Rep. Virgil Goode will not comment on Muslim US Ambassador at UN

Michael Roston
    Published: Friday January 5, 2007
    Print This Email This Print page sponsored by Velvet Revolution.

President George W. Bush's nomination of a practicing Muslim as US Ambassador to the United Nations may or may not be an asset to American diplomatic efforts in the international organization. But it appears that Zalmay Khalilzad's faith is unlikely to result in much controversy in Washington.

RAW STORY has learned that Rep. Virgil Goode, the Virginia Republican who provoked outrage by objecting to Muslim Rep. Keith Ellison (D - MN) taking his oath of office on a Koran, would not object to Khalilzad's likely tenure at the UN.

RAW STORY contacted Linwood Duncan in Rep. Goode's Danwood, Virginia office shortly after the news of Khalilzad's nomination emerged. The press secretary responded tersely when asked whether or not Goode would make any statements about Khalilzad's faith or nomination to the UN.

"He has had no comment whatsoever," Duncan remarked. "Don't expect any."

Rep. Goode sparked controversy after a letter sent to his constituents surfaced in December that expressed hostility to Islam. Though subtly saluting Ellison's position on illegal immigration, Goode warned of his fear that "in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt...strict immigration policies." He also stated in the letter that "on Swearing In Day, I will have the Bible in my other hand. I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way."

WOW!!! Congratulations Everyone!!!

gail

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, Than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is".

"If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion."
    --Goncourt

-Don Quoteman
    God doesn't believe in atheism, so atheist don't exist.