Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

  1. #1
    ColleenC1
    Guest

    Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    Have any of you ever built a dune (sand) buggy or gone 3 wheeling. We used to go to a place all the time called Pismo Beach.

    I know you guys know alot about cars but what about the alternative vehicles?

  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,994

    Re: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC1
    Have any of you ever built a dune (sand) buggy or gone 3 wheeling. We used to go to a place all the time called Pismo Beach.

    I know you guys know alot about cars but what about the alternative vehicles?
    I love three (and four wheelers), though not as much as dirt bikes.

    You don't see the three wheelers much anymore - pretty much they've disapeared due to concerns about safety, etc.

    I would love to build a dune buggy... all I need is the time!

  3. #3
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    Had a friend with a dune buggy in college. They're around in all sorts of permutations, from sand rails to the old Manx dune buggies.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC1
    Have any of you ever built a dune (sand) buggy or gone 3 wheeling. We used to go to a place all the time called Pismo Beach.

    I know you guys know alot about cars but what about the alternative vehicles?
    I love three (and four wheelers), though not as much as dirt bikes.

    You don't see the three wheelers much anymore - pretty much they've disapeared due to concerns about safety, etc.

    I would love to build a dune buggy... all I need is the time!
    Three wheelers in NZ were popular with farmers when first introduced as it was easier to tow a trailer than with two wheels. I never owned one but my neighbour used to roar around on his with a wheel in the air a lot of the time.
    I opted for 2 wheels with a side cart.... that third wheel seemed to spend a fair bit of time in the air also.
    With the side cart on it was easie to tackle a ewe during lambing to assist her. I would just jump of the bike, restrain her and then go back to the bike which was still idling around in circles.

    On my hill farm I had a 4 wheeler. Nearly killed myself "on" it doing less than 1 KMH! A fluke. I was looking for a deer in the bush and hit a small rut on the downward slope. the rear started to come over and I jumped off thinking great...that was close...only to have the 1/4 tonne machine land on top of me!
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  5. #5
    ColleenC1
    Guest

    Re: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    I was in the dune buggy (or sand buggy) with my ex-father inlaw we were going straight up this hill and came to the top I literally thought we were going to roll back over but my ex-father inlaw pulled something and we swung around and we down the hill regularly.

    I much prefer the 3 wheelers to the 4 wheelers I know they say they are more dangerous but alot more fun. We have so many videos of riding the 3 wheelers, still think back at the hills we tackled, the guys seem to be alot more comfortable gunning the engine to go over the top of those hills, but not me nor my sister-in-laws.

    At Pismo Beach it was foggy most of the morning and you could hardly see the flags in the air. That was probably the most dangerous time to go riding but we all did it. Heck most of the time you couldn't even see where you were going until you were up on it. I think the scare factor added to the fun!

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,994

    Re: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC1
    I was in the dune buggy (or sand buggy) with my ex-father inlaw we were going straight up this hill and came to the top I literally thought we were going to roll back over but my ex-father inlaw pulled something and we swung around and we down the hill regularly.

    I much prefer the 3 wheelers to the 4 wheelers I know they say they are more dangerous but alot more fun. We have so many videos of riding the 3 wheelers, still think back at the hills we tackled, the guys seem to be alot more comfortable gunning the engine to go over the top of those hills, but not me nor my sister-in-laws.

    At Pismo Beach it was foggy most of the morning and you could hardly see the flags in the air. That was probably the most dangerous time to go riding but we all did it. Heck most of the time you couldn't even see where you were going until you were up on it. I think the scare factor added to the fun!
    I got to drive on Pismo a few months ago... with Land Rover, testing out the LR3.. neat place!

  7. #7
    ColleenC1
    Guest

    Re: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    On the beach or the town, Test the Land Rover?

  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,994

    Re: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC1
    On the beach or the town, Test the Land Rover?
    The beach; they arranged special access. Also the dunes....

  9. #9
    ColleenC1
    Guest

    Re: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    The beach; they arranged special access. Also the dunes....

    How was it in the Land Rover (dunes) I would assume that it might have been more bumpier (don't know if that is a word - don't want to look it up either) than in a Dune Buggy.

    Did they schedule it after the morning fog!!


  10. #10
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,994

    Re: Dune Buggy's, 3 wheeling

    Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC1
    The beach; they arranged special access. Also the dunes....

    How was it in the Land Rover (dunes) I would assume that it might have been more bumpier (don't know if that is a word - don't want to look it up either) than in a Dune Buggy.

    Did they schedule it after the morning fog!!

    The things did well, esp. given they don't have Low range gearing or locking diffs.... my review's in the "reviews" section someplace....

Similar Threads

  1. Two-wheel Swamp Buggy races
    By CharlieCLU in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 08:16 AM
  2. Buggy Rolling.
    By Ken in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •