Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entirely off the subject of cars...

mrblanche

Entirely off the subject of cars...

Eric used a word in another thread that really annoys me: normalcy. This was a word made up, and probably not intentionally, but one of our least illustrious presidents, Warren G. Harding. The correct word is, of course, normality.

I have a few others.

1. Snuck. The past tense of "sneak" is "sneaked." Don't believe me? Type "snuck" here, and the spell check program spits it out immediately.

2. Dove. The past tense of "dive" is "dived." Dove is a soap, or a medium-sized bird related to pigeons.

I have others, but I'll let you jump in here!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Entirely off the subject of cars...

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Eric used a word in another thread that really annoys me: normalcy. This was a word made up, and probably not intentionally, but one of our least illustrious presidents, Warren G. Harding. The correct word is, of course, normality.

I have a few others.

1. Snuck. The past tense of "sneak" is "sneaked." Don't believe me? Type "snuck" here, and the spell check program spits it out immediately.

2. Dove. The past tense of "dive" is "dived." Dove is a soap, or a medium-sized bird related to pigeons.

Here is one I loathe:

"Disrespect" someone... gawd!

TC

I have a few others.

I agree with you. The use of these "other" words usually shows a lack of education, failure to lift one's self out of the level into which one was born or lack of respect for the language amongst other things.

mrblanche

When I used my CB, I had other drivers accuse me of being a four-wheeler because "you don't sound like a trucker."

Good!

>>Here is one I loathe:

"Disrespect" someone... gawd!<<

That's 'cause you don't know how to "dis" someone properly, sucka----

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Here is one I loathe:

"Disrespect" someone... gawd!<<

That's 'cause you don't know how to "dis" someone properly, sucka----
    Rap "culture" and all that goes with it has been a pox on the country... .

ColleenC1

April 23, 2007

Please help us get this information into the hands of as many people as possible by forwarding it to your entire email list of family and friends.

Tell radio stations to drop music demeaning race, degrading women

Roberts Broadcasting Company has already banned their radio stations from playing all music degrading women and others in communities where they air hip-hop music. Ask others to do likewise.

After the Don Imus episode in which Imus, a radio host, was fired for referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy-headed hos," at least one broadcaster has decided his company is going to do the right thing.

"I am announcing, effective immediately, that music degrading women and other members of our community will no longer be played" on his stations, said Michael V. Roberts Sr., CEO of Roberts Broadcasting Company.

Rather than simply censoring vulgar words in songs, "We're going to ban them altogether, which is a hard move for a hip-hop station. If it's offensive in any way toward women, toward African Americans, it's not going to be played" on his stations, Roberts said.

Meanwhile, all the major stations continue to play offensive music. While issuing platitudes about how they are acting very responsibly in selecting what is aired on their stations, they keep airing trash because money is more important to them than our children and a decent society. It is nothing more than a hypocritical stand by these companies.
    P.S. If you would like to thank Roberts Broadcasting Company for their decision, their phone number is 314-367-4600.

>>Rap "culture" and all that goes with it has been a pox on the country... .<<

Glad you noticed--- They get away with it and give money to Obama and Clinton while those 2 condemnd Imus---

mrblanche

This must be a new record. It took only 1 hr, 23 minutes, and 6 replies to take a thread about grammar into politics.

This must be a new record. It took only 1 hr, 23 minutes, and 6 replies to take a thread about grammar into politics.
    Now you know what I am dealing with!

Rap, business, and the military are three sources of the erosion of American English.

Some words and phrases that bother me are, in no particular order:

"my bad"
    "disrespect" as a verb
    "impact" as a verb
    "gift" as a verb
    "it's all good"
    "that's what I'm talking about"
    "conversate"

TC

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Rap, business, and the military are three sources of the erosion of American English.

"my bad"
    "disrespect" as a verb
    "impact" as a verb
    "gift" as a verb
    "it's all good"
    "conversate"
    That is another thing that bothers me. The use of nouns as verbs.

I'd also like to see "community" and "reaching out" thrown down the well!

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by TC
    Even subtler, how about using intransitive verbs as transitive? Such as, "This camper sleeps 6."

I have a few others.

Both "snuck" and "dove" are given as acceptable altenates by Merriam-Webster. Occasionally, words come into common use, and as there is no Academy to police the language (as there is in French or Spanish), when words some into common use, they are just added to the dictionaries.

The language does change. For instance: the first sentence of this paragraph, 400 years ago, would have been written "The language doth change". Verb endings have been greatly simplified, so when at one time "do" would have been said: "I do", "Thou dost", and "he doth", we now say "I do", 'You do", and "He does".

Occasionally, past tense verbs have two forms, as well. Take "to hang": when used to describe the death by hanging of a human being, the past tense is "hanged". When used to describe shat was done with draperies on a window, the word is "hung".

gail

I have a few others.

I agree with you. The use of these "other" words usually shows a lack of education, failure to lift one's self out of the level into which one was born or lack of respect for the language amongst other things.
    'Whazzzz up!' :

We all use colloquialism, and idioms. Some words seem to catch the fancy of people and with TV and the Internet these words spread around the nation, and maybe around the world, like wild fire.

There are some non-words that I love, and I hope someday will be accepted as legitimate; one such word is 'irregardless.' Already people commonly use 'raised,' instead of 'reared.' When I was growing up, we were told that you raise animals and reared children. Rarely do we hear anyone say 'yes' anymore, it is 'yeah.' We use the word 'like,' rather than 'as.' Vulgarity that once was never heard around women and children, is now spoken among the best educated, and even by young children.

Of late when someone does something wrong, I hear 'my bad,' in a joking manner, instead of 'I'm sorry,' said sincerely.

I have a few others.

Gotten??? That always gets me
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

TC

Even subtler, how about using intransitive verbs as transitive? Such as, "This camper sleeps 6."
    Those too.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel

"my bad"
    "disrespect" as a verb
    "impact" as a verb
    "gift" as a verb
    "it's all good"
    "conversate"
    Actually, the use of 'gift' as a verb is fine in lawyer and account speak, not that anyone has to like listening to that babble .

'Proactive' tends to burn my ears.

>>Actually, the use of 'gift' as a verb is fine in lawyer and account speak, not that anyone has to like listening to that babble .

'Proactive' tends to burn my ears.<<

How you sound, bro----?