Thread: A Great Looking Muscle Car is in the Details: Restoring an Inflator Canister

A Great Looking Muscle Car is in the Details: Restoring an Inflator Canister

In order to gain the points at car shows and/or have one sharp looking old muscle car, it's all in the details. No matter how well a car is preserved those little parts need restoring and refinishing. As an example here's a spare tire inflator canister that I have restored for my '79 Trans Am. When I purchased my '79 Trans Am several years ago, it was missing the canister, so last year I finally decided to purchase a good core and restore it back to original condition. Unfortunately all the good cores I saw at the time were $100 or more on Ebay. So after some careful research I realized that other GM cars of that era used the same size spare inflator canister, and could be had for a lot less money.

So I found a good core from a late 1970s Chevy Monza which was the perfect size, only the label and the plastic cap (cap was white instead of blue) where different than the 1979 Firebird/Camaro canister which would have originally come with my car. So I bought the canister for $24.00 (shipping included), then paid $10 for a reproduction 1979 Camaro/Firebird inflator canister paper decal, around $14.00 for 2 cans of spray paint (Ford blue for the canister and GM corp blue for the plastic cap), and $2.00 for 3 unit packet of glue stick (to stick the decal to the cardboard wrapped around the canister). So for $50.00 invested, I now have a canister that looks brand new and was at least half the price of the cores that were correct for my car. Even though this canister originally came out of a Chevy Monza no one will know the difference (not even the eagle eye judges at a car show) since visually it is the same as the '79 Camaro/Firebird unit. Since I only need a visual prop and not a working canister, I don't want to use the canister to pump up a perfect condition spare (which would ruin its value) if I get a flat. I drive my car about 500 miles a year so the likelyhood of a flat tire is pretty slim (also I have a can of flat fix which I hide in the trunk in case I should ever get a flat tire).

Here's a picture of the canister after I completed the restoration:

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: A Great Looking Muscle Car is in the Details: Restoring an Inflator Canister

Hi Pete,

Beautifully done!

Has your car's space saver tire ever been on the ground?

Re: A Great Looking Muscle Car is in the Details: Restoring an Inflator Canister

Eric,

Thanks. Fortunately the spare tire never hit the ground, it still have the factory white lettering on the tread. I don't know if you remember but when I purchased the car, it was missing the jack and jack stand, butterfly washer, the jack holder plate and butterfly nut for holder, and the inflator canister. I have aquired a jack and jack stand, the washer, and now the inflator canister. I still need the butterfly nut for the jack holder plate should have one within a few weeks.

Here's how my tire setup looks now, I have not put the inflator canister in yet. I am planning on refinishing and repainting in semi-gloss black the tire and the piece under the big butterfly nut. The jack stand has been restored already. I will also armorall the entire tire to make it shine.

Here's the side of the tire, you can still see the factory white markings on the tire, sorry the picture quality is not good:

And last but not least here's my new jack which has been refinished. I got a jack holder plate (black) which I need to refinish in semi-gloss black since its dulled with age. The nut is not correct I need to get a black butterfly nut which I am working on getting: