Thread: Food

Food

I have no sympathy with fat people.

Food used to be fresh, but nowadays I see many buying and living on processed food. Some don't even budget two days ahead let alone for seasons.

That's why the commies are taking hold. Poisoned.

I only eat fresh food. That's why I am sane.

Rob

Re: Food

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    That's why I am sane.
    You sure about that?
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

I have no sympathy with fat people.

Food used to be fresh, but nowadays I see many buying and living on processed food. Some don't even budget two days ahead let alone for seasons.

Rob
    Here's my take on it:

Some people are more inclined to put on weight than others, or simply of "stocky" build. That said, most people who are seriously overweight got there because, at some point, they decided to "let go" and continue eating (too much and poorly) even though it was obvious they were becoming fat. That involves a personal choice.

But most of us have some weakness or other. so I try not to condemn fat people overmuch - esp. since they are probably miserable. (They sure look it.)

And mind you: I'm not talking about people packing a few extra pounds. Most of us are (or have been) in that category at one time or another. I'm talking about people carrying 40, 50, 100 pounds of blubber around.

The fact that serious obesity is now so common suggests to me a very unhappy populace that medicates itself with food - accompanied by bad TV and endless professional sports watching, so as to avoid having to think much - about oneself or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Here's my take on it:

Some people are more inclined to put on weight than others, or simply of "stocky" build. That said, most people who are seriously overweight got there because, at some point, they decided to "let go" and continue eating (too much and poorly) even though it was obvious they were becoming fat. That involves a personal choice.

But most of us have some weakness or other. so I try not to condemn fat people overmuch - esp. since they are probably miserable. (They sure look it.)

And mind you: I'm not talking about people packing a few extra pounds. Most of us are (or have been) in that category at one time or another. I'm talking about people carrying 40, 50, 100 pounds of blubber around.

The fact that serious obesity is now so common suggests to me a very unhappy populace that medicates itself with food - accompanied by bad TV and endless professional sports watching, so as to avoid having to think much - about oneself or anything else.

Or they drove taxi cabs.....or drive a desk ;D
    Rex

Americans are fat because it's cheaper to buy bad food.

Drewnowski gave himself a hypothetical dollar to spend, using it to purchase as many calories as he possibly could. He discovered that he could buy the most calories per dollar in the middle aisles of the supermarket, among the towering canyons of processed food and soft drink. (In the typical American supermarket, the fresh foods ? dairy, meat, fish and produce ? line the perimeter walls, while the imperishable packaged goods dominate the center.) Drewnowski found that a dollar could buy 1,200 calories of cookies or potato chips but only 250 calories of carrots. Looking for something to wash down those chips, he discovered that his dollar bought 875 calories of soda but only 170 calories of orange juice.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/ma...erland&emc=rss

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

"Americans are fat because it's cheaper to buy bad food."

I dunno... that may partially explain it. But Americans have grown considerably fatter, as a group, over the past 10-20 years. You see really huge people commonly now; they used to be fairly rare. Fat kids and teens, too.

I think people are simply gorging more than they used to - and are more sedentary than they used to be.

Staff

That is true. Add High Fructose Corn Syrup. The increase in obesity became noticable when food vendors began using that evil sweetener, somewhere around 1984-1986.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    That is true. Add High Fructose Corn Syrup. The increase in obesity became noticable when food vendors began using that evil sweetener, somewhere around 1984-1986.
    I've heard about this; seems to be an interesting coincidence, at the least.

I hate the stuff. It tastes like scheisse compared with cane sugar. I always pay the extra 50 cents or so for high-quality jams with sugar - and pretty much stopped drinking sodas because of the syrupy fructose.

ColleenC1

The trans-fat that has been introduced into the food chain, I believe has also added to the obesity. It was made to extend the shelf life of food products. Hence creating a huge dietary problem for most Americans. It is in everything.

gail

"Americans are fat because it's cheaper to buy bad food."

I dunno... that may partially explain it. But Americans have grown considerably fatter, as a group, over the past 10-20 years. You see really huge people commonly no; they used to be fairly rare.

I think people are simply gorging more than they used to - and are more sedentary than they used to be.
    Actually, at one time being fat was a sign of wealth. Now being slim is the sign of wealth.

However, obesity is a complicated matter, so I feel being fat is often a medical issue of myriad problems. Most people we see though are just over-weight and not really obese, even though the new numbers say that they are. So the stats are askew . But people that I feel have a medical problem are those where only one part of their body is grotesquely fat, such as their legs, or thunder thighs, or upper arms. Men tend to become fat in their stomachs. Some dumpiness is simply a part of aging. More and more people can't tolerate the aging process in themselves or others, so in record numbers they are paying huge sums to have their breasts stapled to their rib cage, lipo and tummy-tuck --everywhere. Even men are falling for this dangerous form of vanity.

Our metabolism pretty much decides whether we will be fat or thin. This can be genetic, chemical or level of activity. In my mind, it is a crap shoot as to what foods we choose to eat - it is the quality that does us in, if we have a normal metabolism, and are reasonably active, and eat moderately, we will be reasonably trim, but not necessarily thin.

Thin is just as unhealthy as fat is.

In days gone by - my own experience, is what I'm referring to - we all ate big meals - fat laden big meals. Whole milk, butter, baked good, e.g., breads, cakes, donuts, etc. It was common in my family to have thick-sliced bacon, sausage, livermush,ham, or pork chops, 3, 4 and even 6 eggs at a sitting, grits, gravy and biscuits, guzzled down with a quart of milk. For supper, there would be thick pork chops or ham, roast beef, meatloaf, liver, tripe or chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, or green beans or carrots. Most of this food was prepared with lard, or bacon grease or butter. Yet, no one in my family was fat. We didn't work on a farm either. We had two meals a day. If we wanted snacks, we snacked on left-overs. Sounds pretty fattening, doesn't it?

I did have one maternal grandaunt that was fat - yet, she ate the same as anyone else in the family.

Everybody now-a-days are always dieting, eating "good food," whatever that means. Fat-free, sugar-free, oleo, olive oil, etc., etc. etc. However, We did our own cooking -- no fast foods available, no quick and easy foods, everything was very basic, and cooked from scratch.

Personally, I would blame the ease and availability of food that contributes to America being fat.

A lot of good sense here. Hope for America yet!

Some fatter-type people around here exhibit a trait which may or may not be relevant. They eat at fixed times-of-day. Not when they are hungry. A rather large and very nice nurse visiting here was describing how she and her husband had just had a lovely midday meal on Sunday at a country hotel. Entree, main, the full deal. At 5pm she prepared 'tea' with 'everything-in-the-fridge' on scone-base to make a pizza... this was her way of not buying commercial pizza.

I had to button my lip. I wanted to ask how she coukd have been hungry just 4 hours after a main meal.

I see a lot of overweight people in the streets and many are eating or drinking almost all the time. But I cannot be to critical, because I have enough weaknesses....

mrblanche

Rob
    I thought that amber liquid in the bottle had to spoil in order to be "good."

mrblanche

I hate the stuff. It tastes like scheisse compared with cane sugar. I always pay the extra 50 cents or so for high-quality jams with sugar - and pretty much stopped drinking sodas because of the syrupy fructose.
    There is one bottling plant in the U.S., down in the valley, which still makes Dr. Pepper with cane sugar.

And some local radio guys are currently in London, where they say the Coke is made with cane sugar and is immensely better.

D_E_Davis

I only eat fresh food. That's why I am sane.Rob
    I have a book for you:
    "The Omnivore's Dilemma", by Michael Pollan

Perhaps KBB will read it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by gail

Personally, I would blame the ease and availability of food that contributes to America being fat.
    God Bless .........McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, TGIF, Taco Bell, and all the others

I will admit to grabbing a lean beef burger from the afore mentioned fine Scottish restaurant the other day
    Rex

I cannot BELIEVE you guys reducing the issue to cane-sugar.

I repeat: from my original post

Some don't even budget two days ahead let alone for seasons.

You completely miss the point!

Industrial food production requires a big change to local food. 'Communal' production in 1910 was made and more effiecient with bulk techniques which the US did very well after the 1930 Depression, all to the good of 'free enterprise'.

Local food is imperfect even if fresh. Nothing is perfect. USSR 1922 Commies under Lenin sought to do exactly what the US did in the 1930-today. Mao tried it. Albeit the latter was tragic wth gummint...

Hitler sought a solution and we may think he was mad but MILLIONS OF GERMANS went with it.

Our wealth is based on efficient food and intelligent healthy people.

US food and society might be efficient with food... Islam has in the past supported great art and society but appears ever-less able to do much. The US had no right to be in Iraq. 9/11 made it complex.

I don't personally give to charity unless it is immediate and without question, because if I found a German who was the last survivor of a JU88 shot down by an Hurricane in October 1940, and he was bleedng and the Hurricane had in turn in my sight been knocked out by an ME109,... well he would be an injured man.

I would stop his bleedng. I could not do otherwise.

Which is the biggest stretch of theme... So why do we let our mass-food-suppliers use profit as a virtue?