Thread: Pontiac G8 - worth the wait.

Pontiac G8 - worth the wait.

What do you guys think of the 2008 Pontiac G8? Its been a long long time since I awaited the arrival of a new Pontiac. The G8 looks like it is worth the wait. Rear wheel drive with great handling and styling with 364 horsepower on tap, all for around $30 - $35K, seems like it will be a big hit:

http://www.pontiac.com/g8/

Sorry for not posting in a while, things have been so crazy with work and other things this month.

Pete

Staff

Re: Pontiac G8 - worth the wait.

I am going to check one out. I think its going to be great for the American car industry. Another great one from Pontiac, as they used to say.
    They should bring back the old adverstising themes as well. This may sound bad, but I think I like the V6. I can't see feeding a 6.1L V8 with 3 buck gas. I wish the car was a little smaller, as I like a car about the size of the G6.

It is about time that GM made a RWD car besides the Vette and the former GTO.

I think this car will become a collectors item over time.

Well made in Australia.

I think you will enjoy it
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man
    What do you guys think of the 2008 Pontiac G8? Its been a long long time since I awaited the arrival of a new Pontiac. The G8 looks like it is worth the wait. Rear wheel drive with great handling and styling with 364 horsepower on tap, all for around $30 - $35K, seems like it will be a big hit:

http://www.pontiac.com/g8/

Sorry for not posting in a while, things have been so crazy with work and other things this month.

Pete
    I just can't muster much interest in another Chevy-powered "corporate" Pontiac.... and I think Swamp's comment on gas may be spot on.

How many 18 mpg cars can GM hope to sell when gas is pushing $4 per? (And remember, this car will need premium unleaded... )

I am going to lay a bet:

The car will flop; so will the coming Camaro.

The time for these kinds of cars is long gone - and the timing for these two could not be worse.

Eric & Swamprat,

I think your concerns are correct on 6.0 liter V8 not selling as well as it could because of the high fuel prices. I believe that about 20 - 30 % of G8 sales will be the GT model which will have the 362 horsepower 6.0 liter V8, the other 70 - 80% will be the base G8 with the 261 horsepower 3.6 liter V6. The new AFM (Active Fuel Management) 6.0 liter in the G8 is supposed to get very close to what the GM 5.3 liter V8 with AFM which gets about 27 MPG on the highway. As for the the 3.6 liter V6 G8 will get the same MPG as a V6 Camary or Accord, so I don't feel the G8 will be a flop. It has good styling and it's rear wheel drive, so it's a big step in the right direction for GM and Pontiac (I never thought GM would sto their drunken stupor into making all their 4-door passenger cars FWD). As for the Camaro I think it will be a hit, however about 70% of Camaro sales will be V6 powered Camaros. Come to think of it most past pony cars (GM f-bodies, Mustangs, Cudas, Challengers, etc.) that were sold were closer to the base models and had the less powerful motors for their model years. GM expects the V6 Camaros to be their hottest Camaro seller, and the V8 powered Camaro to be its flagship. Even Dodge will be doing the same thing with the upcoming Challenger which will be selling a V6 model as the base. Even during the history of the Trans Am, the base Firebird was during most of the years the sales leader (only the late 1970s sales of the Trans Am challenged this hegemeny of the base car, with a wopping 117,000 sales of the Trans Am for the 1979 model year). Of course this is likely to never be repeated.

Kwozzie1,

You are correct it will be made in Austrailia and the G8 will be the first car produced on GM's new "global rear wheel drive" platform. GM has said by the time other U.S. versions of this platform are released the production of the G8 will move from Austrailia to the U.S. However Holden (Austrailia) designed this new platform, so a big thanks goes out to you Aussies. ;D

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man
    Eric & Swamprat,

I think your concerns are correct on 6.0 liter V8 not selling as well as it could because of the high fuel prices. I believe that about 20 - 30 % of G8 sales will be the GT model which will have the 362 horsepower 6.0 liter V8, the other 70 - 80% will be the base G8 with the 261 horsepower 3.6 liter V6. The new AFM (Active Fuel Management) 6.0 liter in the G8 is supposed to get very close to what the GM 5.3 liter V8 with AFM which gets about 27 MPG on the highway. As for the the 3.6 liter V6 G8 will get the same MPG as a V6 Camary or Accord, so I don't feel the G8 will be a flop. It has good styling and it's rear wheel drive, so it's a big step in the right direction for GM and Pontiac (I never thought GM would sto their drunken stupor into making all their 4-door passenger cars FWD). As for the Camaro I think it will be a hit, however about 70% of Camaro sales will be V6 powered Camaros. Come to think of it most past pony cars (GM f-bodies, Mustangs, Cudas, Challengers, etc.) that were sold were closer to the base models and had the less powerful motors for their model years. GM expects the V6 Camaros to be their hottest Camaro seller, and the V8 powered Camaro to be its flagship. Even Dodge will be doing the same thing with the upcoming Challenger which will be selling a V6 model as the base. Even during the history of the Trans Am, the base Firebird was during most of the years the sales leader (only the late 1970s sales of the Trans Am challenged this hegemeny of the base car, with a wopping 117,000 sales of the Trans Am for the 1979 model year). Of course this is likely to never be repeated.

Kwozzie1,

You are correct it will be made in Austrailia and the G8 will be the first car produced on GM's new "global rear wheel drive" platform. GM has said by the time other U.S. versions of this platform are released the production of the G8 will move from Austrailia to the U.S. However Holden (Austrailia) designed this new platform, so a big thanks goes out to you Aussies. ;D

Hi Pete,

See the item I just posted in Motor Mouth on this subject...