Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How NOT to set yourself up to fight a ticket!!

mrblanche

How NOT to set yourself up to fight a ticket!!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: How NOT to set yourself up to fight a ticket!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    She was upset, but (and the video didn't make it clear) why was she Tazered? From what I could tell all she did was talk back to the cop.. and the infractions were minor.

If there was nothingmore involved, those cops are a-holes and thugs.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    She was upset, but (and the video didn't make it clear) why was she Tazered? From what I could tell all she did was talk back to the cop.. and the infractions were minor.

I'm guessing there was more to the video, since nowhere on it does it show him being informed her DL was suspended.

By the way...have you seen the cell phones made into a .22?

gail

I didn't get a video. ???

mrblanche

Did you click on the link? You should get a youtube video.

I'm guessing there was more to the video, since nowhere on it does it show him being informed her DL was suspended.

By the way...have you seen the cell phones made into a .22?
    No (on the cell phone). But are you trying to say that was a legitimate fear inthis case? I don't buy that. It was just an angry motorist. A woman, too. From that video, all I could see was a trumped-up stop (minor speeding) and the cop being a dick. She should have been calm, I agree. But Tazer her? Unles she was wanted for something of a violent nature or threatened the cop in some way, that was way excessive. Two big men (the cops). Armed. And they had to Tazer an unarmed woman who (so far as I saw) did absolutely nothing other than toss some attitude?

Again: Unless there was a damn good reason for what that cop did, he is a thug. With a badge - which makes him scary as hell.

TC

Actually, I thought the cop was quite patient with her.
    The Taser was used on her because she took a swing at the cop on the right side of the vehicle while she was resisting arrest.
    She was doing 51 in a 35 limit according to the cop and driving while her license was suspended.
    Also she was not wearing a seat belt and her vehicle had a cracked winshield and a broken tail light.
    Just another case of someone not taking responsibility for her actions.

I didn't see her swing at the cop; I'll watch the video again. If she did that, I'm ok with using the Taser... .

mrblanche

No (on the cell phone). But are you trying to say that was a legitimate fear inthis case? I don't buy that. It was just an angry motorist. A woman, too. From that video, all I could see was a trumped-up stop (minor speeding) and the cop being a dick. She should have been calm, I agree. But Tazer her? Unles she was wanted for something of a violent nature or threatened the cop in some way, that was way excessive. Two big men (the cops). Armed. And they had to Tazer an unarmed woman who (so far as I saw) did absolutely nothing other than toss some attitude?

Again: Unless there was a damn good reason for what that cop did, he is a thug. With a badge - which makes him scary as hell.

OK, a few points.

She was speeding 16 over, which is "reckless driving," by legal definition.

She refused to cooperate and instead tried to tell the cop that he was not allowed to use radar while moving. She insisted on (and got) his name and unit number. She refused to give him her paperwork, although apparently he eventually got her driver's license. And she refused to put away her cell phone and deal with the problem at hand. Then she gave a ridiculous act when she was tazed. She gave every impression of being the jerk in the story.

Now, ideally, they should have gotten a female officer to manhandle (womanhandle?) her. Once they discovered she was driving on a suspended license, she wasn't leaving in her car, no matter what. And who knows what she might have in her purse or glove compartment or pocket? The rule for an officer is that once you make the decision an arrest is necessary, you don't stand around and argue about it; it leads to disaster too easily.

"She was speeding 16 over, which is "reckless driving," by legal definition."

In what state? I have never (ever) heard anything close to that. In Va., you must doing more than 20 mph above the posted limit to qualify for "reckless."

People routinely drive 16 mph or so over ; there'd be "reckless drivers" all over the road.

Maybe Texas has a different law... but 16 over and "reckless" (unless it was a school zone or some special circumstance) strikes me as absolutely ridiculous.

"She refused to cooperate.."

How so? I saw her provide license and so on. She was rude and obstreperous.. but is that now a crime?

"...and instead tried to tell the cop that he was not allowed to use radar while moving. She insisted on (and got) his name and unit number. She refused to give him her paperwork, although apparently he eventually got her driver's license. And she refused to put away her cell phone and deal with the problem at hand. Then she gave a ridiculous act when she was tazed. She gave every impression of being the jerk in the story."

I agree she was being difficult and acting inapropriately. But did she give cause to get Tazered? I did not see it.

"Now, ideally, they should have gotten a female officer to manhandle (womanhandle?) her. Once they discovered she was driving on a suspended license, she wasn't leaving in her car, no matter what. And who knows what she might have in her purse or glove compartment or pocket? The rule for an officer is that once you make the decision an arrest is necessary, you don't stand around and argue about it; it leads to disaster too easily. "

Again, unless she had threatened them in some way, was wanted on a charge/resisting arrest, etc. it seems to me the cops responded too aggressively.

Cops can be little more than bully/thug types just itching for an opportunity to hassle someone. That's what this looked like to me. If she was properly licensed, etc. the cop could have said, "slow down" - and get you window repaired, etc. Have a nice day. End of problem.

But instead, they yank out the ticket book - eagerly - in order to stuff a couple hundred bucks' worth of fines down the woman's throat. Who enjoys that kind of work? Bullies.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by TC
    The Taser was used on her because she took a swing at the cop on the right side of the vehicle while she was resisting arrest.
    She was doing 51 in a 35 limit according to the cop and driving while her license was suspended.
    Also she was not wearing a seat belt and her vehicle had a cracked winshield and a broken tail light.
    Did you hear the one about the blonde stopped by a cop? He walks up to the car and asked her for her driver's license. The blonde exclaims indigently, "What? Will you guys make up your mind - first you take away my license, and now you want to see it."

mrblanche

Again, we didn't see the whole video, so we don't know what happened. I'd like to know how the court case went.

I can show you another pair of videos. Two cop cars pull up, and the dash camera of the first seems to show the officers shooting down what appears to be an unarmed black man for no reason.

The second car's camera shows the man pulling a gun and firing at the officers before he's shot. It was just at an angle you can't see in the first car's camera.

Again, we didn't see the whole video, so we don't know what happened. I'd like to know how the court case went.

I can show you another pair of videos. Two cop cars pull up, and the dash camera of the first seems to show the officers shooting down what appears to be an unarmed black man for no reason.

The second car's camera shows the man pulling a gun and firing at the officers before he's shot. It was just at an angle you can't see in the first car's camera.

I'm willing to keep an open mind - and if the woman did threaten the cops (or was wanted for some serious offense) then I can see a justification for what they did.

But if she didn't physically challenge them - and all this was was a traffic stop for relatively minor infractions - they took it too far.

PS - What about that 16 mph over and "reckless driving" stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Quote Originally Posted by TC
    Did you hear the one about the blonde stopped by a cop? He walks up to the car and asked her for her driver's license. The blonde exclaims indigently, "What? Will you guys make up your mind - first you take away my license, and now you want to see it."
    Hi Gail,

Hey, I'm curious to find out what your reaction to the video/stop is....

Staff

I would yank their badges and make them do clean up for the county. Pretty repugnant stuff. I would also sue the department's pants off for using excessive force.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    I would yank their badges and make them do clean up for the county. Pretty repugnant stuff. I would also sue the department's pants off for using excessive force.
    That was my reaction, also. As I wrote previously, unless there was some good reason for it, the force used was excessive. The stop itself could have been far less confrontational. Seemed to me the cops were giving her a hard time when they didn;t have to; she lost here cool, to be sure. But the cop struck me as a jerk off.

mrblanche

PS - What about that 16 mph over and "reckless driving" stuff?
    That's the law throughout the U.S. for CDL holders, and I understand that that is what your insurance company will interpret it as.

Here's a rundown of state laws. Who knows how up-to-date it is.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html

"That's the law throughout the U.S. for CDL holders, and I understand that that is what your insurance company will interpret it as."

I am pretty sure the law is more lenient for passenger cars/drivers. In Va, a ticket for 16 over would be a four point ticket; "reckless" is a six-point ticket - except, perhaps in a school/work zone. I am not not a trafficlawyer. However, I have had probably a dozen tickets over the years for 10-19 mph over... none were listed as "reckless" by the DMV or so considered by insurance.

Maybe Texas is different...

TC

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    That was my reaction, also. As I wrote previously, unless there was some good reason for it, the force used was excessive. The stop itself could have been far less confrontational. Seemed to me the cops were giving her a hard time when they didn;t have to; she lost here cool, to be sure. But the cop struck me as a jerk off.
    It wouldn't surprise me that when they arrived at the police station she was found to be high on drugs.

"It wouldn't surprise me that when they arrived at the police station she was found to be high on drugs."

Maybe - but I know how it feels to get pulled over for a bogus traffic charge - and how easy it can be to let your rage build to an explosive level.

Again: Unless she was actually violent, or wanted for some serious offense, I think that using a Tazer on a woman over a traffic stop - and some open expression of contempt for the cops - was a bit much.

Why couldn't they have just issued her the tickets - and left it at that?