Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Good(?) Old Days of My Other Hobby!

The Good(?) Old Days of My Other Hobby!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: The Good(?) Old Days of My Other Hobby!

Neat!

But I still think those new mini-jets are "It."

>>But I still think those new mini-jets are "It." <<

You don't learn to fly in an F-22-- They are very neat and it takes a lot of experience to totally deal with one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>But I still think those new mini-jets are "It." <<

You don't learn to fly in an F-22-- They are very neat and it takes a lot of experience to totally deal with one!
    Hell, I'd be up for just starting the sumbitch and listening to it shriek!

It took a lot of courage to be a spectator!

>>Hell, I'd be up for just starting the sumbitch and listening to it shriek!<<

Mount it on the rear of your bicycle and get some use---

>>It took a lot of courage to be a spectator!<<

You noticed, huh?

>>Hell, I'd be up for just starting the sumbitch and listening to it shriek!<<

Mount it on the rear of your bicycle and get some use---
    I have thoughts of strapping one to the back of my rooster....

>>I have thoughts of strapping one to the back of my rooster.... <<

That will make him fly, for sure!

TC

Some of those crashes reminded me of the main reason I never took up the hobby.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by TC
    Some of those crashes reminded me of the main reason I never took up the hobby.
    Yeah, me too. I figured if I couldn't afford to build it in the first place, I sure couldn't afford to fix it after I crashed it.

>>Some of those crashes reminded me of the main reason I never took up the hobby.<<

If you fly models, sooner or later they will crash. That's just part of the hobby. Kinda like a car that will break sooner or later.
    Good flyers rarely ever crash from flying errors. Equipment failure is usually the cause, but it is really a rare thing nowadays. The equipment(radios and servos) are extremely reliable.
    A crash will rarely destroy anything but the plane which is usually the least expensive part of the equation. Engines and radios are rarely damaged. Planes may be purchased as what we call ARF-- almost ready to fly. Easy assembly and equipment installation is all that is necessary. If you are really lazy, you can buy a ready to fly unit that will take 30 minutes of your time to get ready for flight. Most of that will be spent charging the batteries. I have one plane that is 15 years old and a couple of others that are over 5 years old.
    They require maintenance just like any other mechanical thing.
    Cost of initial equipment can range from 300 bucks to wherever you wish to stop.

>>It took a lot of courage to be a spectator!<<

You noticed, huh?
    I once had a U-control (or whatever those tethered things were called) and was always conserned that if the lines went slack the sumB would come after me.

>>I once had a U-control (or whatever those tethered things were called) and was always conserned that if the lines went slack the sumB would come after me. <<

That was not a very big problem if the plane was set up properly. We (friend & I) bought a Dynajet back in 1949 and one day when I launched it, it hit some pebbles on the field and turned in on him. He ran away from it and when the lines tightened up, it took off normally-- Unfortunately, it dead centered a light post the was in the flight path. At 100+ MPH, there was nothing left when the parts hit the ground-- Happened right where Shea Stadium sits-- that used to be the NYC flying field.

>>I once had a U-control (or whatever those tethered things were called) and was always conserned that if the lines went slack the sumB would come after me. <<

That was not a very big problem if the plane was set up properly. We (friend & I) bought a Dynajet back in 1949 and one day when I launched it, it hit some pebbles on the field and turned in on him. He ran away from it and when the lines tightened up, it took off normally-- Unfortunately, it dead centered a light post the was in the flight path. At 100+ MPH, there was nothing left when the parts hit the ground-- Happened right where Shea Stadium sits-- that used to be the NYC flying field.
    Trim? What means 'trim?'

Glue 'em together and fly until they crash. Crashing is more fun than anything else but gets a bit pricey.

>>Trim? What means 'trim?'<<

A fancy paint job???

>>Glue 'em together and fly until they crash. Crashing is more fun than anything else but gets a bit pricey<<

Not when they can cost a few grand!

>>Trim? What means 'trim?'<<

A fancy paint job???

>>Glue 'em together and fly until they crash. Crashing is more fun than anything else but gets a bit pricey<<

Not when they can cost a few grand!
    That's OK for rich Texans, I managed to spend the big money at our Uncle's cost. The wires, reel, bird and motor I bought could not have cost more than maybe, 35 bucks.

And it got stolen at Lackland when I had to store it somewhere on base while reporting into the cadet trade. In return, a whip-stalled T-6, a couple of burned up J-47s and a mid air balanced the account. The whip-stall was purely my effort; the rest were fairly common in the trade.

Could I try one of your birds?

>>Could I try one of your birds?<<

Only if you get your butt down here-- Than I can hook you up on a trainer system using one of my birds. It only would take a short time to find out if your talent for flight has followed you out side the cockpit!
    Show up and I'll guarantee you some decent stick time.

>>Could I try one of your birds?<<

Only if you get your butt down here-- Than I can hook you up on a trainer system using one of my birds. It only would take a short time to find out if your talent for flight has followed you out side the cockpit!
    Show up and I'll guarantee you some decent stick time.
    Are the controls stepless and proportional? What about the rudder? Engine speed? The only time I ever watched one of those was back in the vacuum tube days and I think there was only rudder control with the bird tried to climb in a turn in one direction and descend in the other. There may have been a two speed on the engine, too.

In any case, the guy flying the thing had to be way ahead of the bird on his inputs.

>>Are the controls stepless and proportional? What about the rudder? Engine speed? The only time I ever watched one of those was back in the vacuum tube days and I think there was only rudder control with the bird tried to climb in a turn in one direction and descend in the other. There may have been a two speed on the engine, too.

In any case, the guy flying the thing had to be way ahead of the bird on his inputs. <<

Totally proportional on all channels -- all controls that are in a full size bird-- You still have to be mentally ahead of it.