Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: trip odometer

  1. #1
    Senior Member bikerlbf406's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Granite City, Illinois
    Posts
    360

    trip odometer

    Heres another question about my car as I just noticed it was not working, however have no clue about what could cause it to stop working. I haven't reset my trip odometer in probably a little over a month. I just refuelled my tank today & reset the odometer while doing so. It reset to all zero's like it should haved, however is not working now. I have no clue how to even figure out what could be wrong with it as I have never done any work at all on gauges. The speedometer, odometer & all other gauges work, so its not a big deal, just something I'd like to fix if I can figure out what is wrong with it & if I could fix it myself.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel


  2. #2
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: trip odometer

    Have you pushed the buttons a couple of extra times?

    OK, that's the extent of my expertise!

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,917

    Re: trip odometer

    Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406
    Heres another question about my car as I just noticed it was not working, however have no clue about what could cause it to stop working. I haven't reset my trip odometer in probably a little over a month. I just refuelled my tank today & reset the odometer while doing so. It reset to all zero's like it should haved, however is not working now. I have no clue how to even figure out what could be wrong with it as I have never done any work at all on gauges. The speedometer, odometer & all other gauges work, so its not a big deal, just something I'd like to fix if I can figure out what is wrong with it & if I could fix it myself.
    It's been awhile since I messed with one - but if it's mechanical, it may just be worn/loose damaged plastic gears. The real problem you may face is getting to it (you may have to partially disassemble the dash to get to the instrument cluster) and then dealing with any "odometer tamper-proofing" that was built into it to prevent anyone fiddiling with the digits. If you have a shop manual, it should have the info/instructions, etc.


  4. #4
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: trip odometer

    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Have you pushed the buttons a couple of extra times?

    OK, that's the extent of my expertise!
    That generally works for me too. Sometimes the button just sticks a bit
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  5. #5
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: trip odometer

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    That generally works for me too. Sometimes the button just sticks a bit
    Yeah, I'm assuming it has some effect of "disengaging" the gears, maybe, so it can reset, and they don't fully re-engage?

    As I said, speedometers are a black art, as far as I'm concerned.

  6. #6
    Senior Member bikerlbf406's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Granite City, Illinois
    Posts
    360

    Re: trip odometer

    I appreciate all of the replies & I decided to push the button a couple more times just to see if it would start working although it reset the very first time. After pushing 2 or 3 times it did start working again. Thanks for the help.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel


  7. #7
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: trip odometer

    Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406
    I appreciate all of the replies & I decided to push the button a couple more times just to see if it would start working although it reset the very first time. After pushing 2 or 3 times it did start working again. Thanks for the help.
    Yes!!!! I'm a mechanical genius!!!

    Or something...

Similar Threads

  1. This summer trip
    By CharlieCLU in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
  2. Suss out odometer fraud
    By Eric in forum How-To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 11:47 PM
  3. Day Two, Backbone trip
    By Oldfrtbkr in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 10:47 PM
  4. Day three, Backbone trip
    By Oldfrtbkr in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 09:11 PM
  5. Took a little Trip
    By Mase in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 06:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •