Thread: trip odometer

trip odometer

Heres another question about my car as I just noticed it was not working, however have no clue about what could cause it to stop working. I haven't reset my trip odometer in probably a little over a month. I just refuelled my tank today & reset the odometer while doing so. It reset to all zero's like it should haved, however is not working now. I have no clue how to even figure out what could be wrong with it as I have never done any work at all on gauges. The speedometer, odometer & all other gauges work, so its not a big deal, just something I'd like to fix if I can figure out what is wrong with it & if I could fix it myself.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

mrblanche

Re: trip odometer

Have you pushed the buttons a couple of extra times?

OK, that's the extent of my expertise!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406
    Heres another question about my car as I just noticed it was not working, however have no clue about what could cause it to stop working. I haven't reset my trip odometer in probably a little over a month. I just refuelled my tank today & reset the odometer while doing so. It reset to all zero's like it should haved, however is not working now. I have no clue how to even figure out what could be wrong with it as I have never done any work at all on gauges. The speedometer, odometer & all other gauges work, so its not a big deal, just something I'd like to fix if I can figure out what is wrong with it & if I could fix it myself.
    It's been awhile since I messed with one - but if it's mechanical, it may just be worn/loose damaged plastic gears. The real problem you may face is getting to it (you may have to partially disassemble the dash to get to the instrument cluster) and then dealing with any "odometer tamper-proofing" that was built into it to prevent anyone fiddiling with the digits. If you have a shop manual, it should have the info/instructions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Have you pushed the buttons a couple of extra times?

OK, that's the extent of my expertise!
    That generally works for me too. Sometimes the button just sticks a bit
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    That generally works for me too. Sometimes the button just sticks a bit
    Yeah, I'm assuming it has some effect of "disengaging" the gears, maybe, so it can reset, and they don't fully re-engage?

As I said, speedometers are a black art, as far as I'm concerned.

I appreciate all of the replies & I decided to push the button a couple more times just to see if it would start working although it reset the very first time. After pushing 2 or 3 times it did start working again. Thanks for the help.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406
    I appreciate all of the replies & I decided to push the button a couple more times just to see if it would start working although it reset the very first time. After pushing 2 or 3 times it did start working again. Thanks for the help.
    Yes!!!! I'm a mechanical genius!!!

Or something...