1.44 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, down from 1.45 in
    2005. During the same period, injuries dropped 6 percent from 2.7 million
    in 2005 to 2.54 million in 2006. The preliminary figures also show that
    between 2005 and 2006 overall alcohol-related fatalities increased 2.4
    percent from 17,525 to 17,941; pedestrian deaths dropped slightly, from
    4,881 to 4,768; and fatalities from large truck crashes dropped from 5,212
    to 5,018, a 3.7 percent decline.

Re: 2006 Estimates of Crash Fatalities

What will we do with all these extra people that are not being killed by vehicles?--- I know--- Start another war and use them there---

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    What will we do with all these extra people that are not being killed by vehicles?--- I know--- Start another war and use them there---
    OK might as well, before we have a Democrat president who will re-instate the draft. :

>>OK might as well, before we have a Democrat president who will re-instate the draft. <<

There was nothing wrong with the draft-- It works very well in Switzerland and Israel-- I am all for mandatory service of some type that happens immediately after high school and lasts for 2 years and monetary credit for tuition to college is accrued.

mrblanche

I'll go along with that, too. Not necessarily military, but public service of some kind, even if it's just changing bedpans. Something to teach people how to get up and go to work in the morning, if nothing else.

The only people who would be exempt would be the mentally disabled. Physical disability does not apply-- there is always something that a disabled person can do.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I'll go along with that, too. Not necessarily military, but public service of some kind, even if it's just changing bedpans. Something to teach people how to get up and go to work in the morning, if nothing else.
    I'll agree with that; seems like good social/public policy to me.

And there should be an "out" for those who object/do not wish to serve: However, those who are physically able to serve but refuse to lose the right to vote - a la "Starship Troopers."

>>And there should be an "out" for those who object/do not wish to serve: However, those who are physically able to serve but refuse to lose the right to vote - a la "Starship Troopers." <<

A very good idea.

Staff

Are you all kidding?

I'm all for public service, but it should be voluntary like it is today. Mandatory public service isn't service. It's servitude. I'm against that rot.

Truth of the matter, people will have their entire adult lives to work for the state. I can bet, though, that idea will come roaring back when Hiliary takes over and the demonrats decide they want to "do somehing" about this and that. National service isn't on the top of my worry list, but it's about as effective as Clinton's midnight basketball.

In addition, you know the very rich kids will have exemptions, just like kids of Democratic congressmen/women.

gail

>>OK might as well, before we have a Democrat president who will re-instate the draft. <<

There was nothing wrong with the draft-- It works very well in Switzerland and Israel-- I am all for mandatory service of some type that happens immediately after high school and lasts for 2 years and monetary credit for tuition to college is accrued.
    Mormons already have that. We call it a missionary program. Most unmarried youths at 19 for men and 21 for women go into training at MTC at BYU, and then sent out in various places of the world to serve for 2 years - speaking the lanuage of the country they live in, and when they return they get credit and a discount at any of the BYU campuses - Provo, Utah, Idaho Falls, Idaho, Hawaii, etc.

>>Mormons already have that. We call it a missionary program. Most unmarried youths at 19 for men and 21 for women go into training at MTC at BYU, and then sent out in various places of the world to serve for 2 years - speaking the lanuage of the country they live in, and when they return they get credit and a discount at any of the BYU campuses - Provo, Utah, Idaho Falls, Idaho, Hawaii, etc.<<

Not what I had in mind-- it's amazing how you can relate everything to your religion!

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    OK might as well, before we have a Democrat president who will re-instate the draft. :
    Better a draft, than what we have now. "Stop loss", indeed. Involuntary servitude (slavery, anyone?). Dependence on reserve components is disrupting lives all over the nation.

I pray daily that these insufferable boobs in government learn, first hand, just what their inane policies are doing to the people they are sworn to govern.

>>Better a draft, than what we have now. "Stop loss", indeed. Involuntary servitude (slavery, anyone?). Dependence on reserve components is disrupting lives all over the nation.

I pray daily that these insufferable boobs in government learn, first hand, just what their inane policies are doing to the people they are sworn to govern.<<

You got that right!