Thread: Chains

Chains

I cleaned the chain & gearing on the mountain bike this morning. I do it about every 2-3 rides, and it's amazing how dirty it gets.

Also amazing how much steel comes off the chain. I have one of these to do the cleaning:
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=5&item=CM%2D5

It has a magnet in the bottom to collect the filings, and there's always something clumped on it. One day I expect the chain to have worn away to nothing at all.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

Re: Chains

Here is a basic rule of thumb on grease, at least as it applies on trucks. The blacker and harder to remove a grease is, the more metal is in it. That's why the grease on the fifth wheel is virtually impossible to remove, once it gets on something.

Do you boil your chain in grease? Or is that a lost art?

DonTom

Some people say the only cleaning that should be done on a dirt bike motorcycle chain is to ride a mile or two on payment or where it won't get new dirt. Some say cleaning motorcycle chains with any chemicals usually does more damage to the chain than not cleaning, by getting more junk between the chain links than one can remove.

However, my DR200SE owner's manual says the drive chain should be removed and cleaned ONLY with kerosene every so often. But others have told me that kerosene is the worse thing one can do to a bike chain.

What's the opinion of others here on cleaning cycle chains? My street bikes all have drive shafts. The only bike I own with a drive chain is my 2002 Suzuki DR200SE.

-Don-

Well, this is a mountain bike, not a dirt bike, but I use a citrus-based biodegradable cleaner, and it does a pretty good job.

Afterwards I lubricate it with some chain lube (a fairly thick synthetic oil, not a grease) and give it a quick ride to get it worked in. Afterwards, I wipe it down to remove the excess, and I'm done.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

Ah, I get it now. You're not talking about motorcycles, you're talking about the most dangerous form of transportation in the U.S.!

That would be walking, not a bicycle.

Chip H.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    That would be walking, not a bicycle.

Chip H.
    On a fatality per-mile basis, I believe the bicycle leads the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Ah, I get it now. You're not talking about motorcycles, you're talking about the most dangerous form of transportation in the U.S.!
    Why dangerous?

It's probably car and truck drivers that are the danger.....to cyclists

they are cheap..... enviromentally friendly, and surely would help get fat off American bones ( Aussies too)
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Why dangerous?

It's probably car and truck drivers that are the danger.....to cyclists

they are cheap..... enviromentally friendly, and surely would help get fat off American bones ( Aussies too)
    Because the injury/fatality rate, on a per-mile basis, is very high. Of course, collisions with bigger vehicles are a major problem. But so are collisions with dogs, fences, curbs, potholes, streetlamps, telephone poles, opening doors, rocks, bottles, and even cracks in the pavement. Most collisions are non-fatal, of course.

Non-fatal wound:

But I still say that walking is more hazardous, simply because there are so many more people doing it.

Chip H.

Chip
    Do you have a bell on your bike...... I just holler! or politely say G'day ....depends on the circumstances
    Rex

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Non-fatal wound:

But I still say that walking is more hazardous, simply because there are so many more people doing it.

Chip H.
    Youch!

(And those things hurt even more once your wife sees them...)

mrblanche

My sister's dad was nearly killed by a bicyclist on a city sidewalk in Denver. Three weeks in the hospital.

So...would that be a walking accident or a bicycle accident?

Walking - because he was walking at the time.

Chip H.

I cleaned the chain & gearing on the mountain bike this morning. I do it about every 2-3 rides, and it's amazing how dirty it gets.

Also amazing how much steel comes off the chain. I have one of these to do the cleaning:
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...5&item=CM%2D5

It has a magnet in the bottom to collect the filings, and there's always something clumped on it. One day I expect the chain to have worn away to nothing at all.

Chip H.

On my bike .. I just hose the chain and derailleurs lightly, having given a quick brushing. I then spray with a lite lube oil

Probably the wrong thing to do
    but my riding unlike yours is non extreme. Have posted pics in Post your Ride section
    Rex