Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory GPS - today's 8-track tape player?

Re: Factory GPS - today's 8-track tape player?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    I remove it only when I transfer it to my other car.
    You obviously don't have the sort of thieves we have on this side of the Atlantic! Cops here advise not only removing the holder when the vehicle is left unattended, but also cleaning the windscreen to remove the marks left by the suction cups, so as not to leave any indication that there may be a sat-nav unit in the car!

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Why do you need a PS2 port? Seems almost everything is going to USB. I use a USB to COM cable converter to use with many of my GPS's that only have a com port cable.

-Don-
    Pretty simple. The GPS unit had a serial cable and a PS2 cable, and both had to be connected for it to work.

On the other hand, it only cost $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    I remove it only when I transfer it to my other car.
    You obviously don't have the sort of thieves we have on this side of the Atlantic! Cops here advise not only removing the holder when the vehicle is left unattended, but also cleaning the windscreen to remove the marks left by the suction cups, so as not to leave any indication that there may be a sat-nav unit in the car!
    We have better ones-- they steal the whole damn vehicle-- strip out the accessories and leave it -- or they will move it to Mexico if it's worth more that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

For example, factory installed, in-car GPS navigation systems. These are typically big-ticket items on the front end - adding as much as $2,000 to the purchase price of a new car.
    I just have a hand held Garmin....... I probably would never use it seriously in a city......a map is quite okay for me. I did use it once when driving inot Brisbane at night having picked up a passenger from the airport and going to the city for dinner before driving north. Had not been in the central city before so it was good to turn it on and then just follow the same line out fpr the return journey.

In the past I have downloaded waypoints to pinpoint on the map.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

DonTom

"If used strictly for its intended purpose, how would GPS on a laptop be any more distracting than on a dedicated GPS device? Have there been any documented cases of collisions that happened while a driver was futzing with his GPS?"

Two people solves that problem. One drives and the other navigates, but when I need a GPS alone, such as often when I am on a motorcycle, I find a place to stop before I play around with the GPS.

-Don-

"If used strictly for its intended purpose, how would GPS on a laptop be any more distracting than on a dedicated GPS device? Have there been any documented cases of collisions that happened while a driver was futzing with his GPS?"

Two people solves that problem. One drives and the other navigates, but when I need a GPS alone, such as often when I am on a motorcycle, I find a place to stop before I play around with the GPS.

-Don-
    It might be slightly inconvenient and expensive for some professional drivers to hire someone to act just as navigator.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"I've actually seen drivers watching movies on a laptop or DVD player going down the road."

Roadside beatings are on order....

DonTom

"It might be slightly inconvenient and expensive for some professional drivers to hire someone to act just as navigator."

Then use plan B. Find a place to stop which takes a lot less time and fuel than does getting lost.

-Don-

mrblanche

There are things I'm willing to drop a dime on, and that's one.

Other drivers complain that that is unkind, but I figure there are some idiots we are better off without.

DonTom

" just have a hand held Garmin....... I probably would never use it seriously in a city.."

Which model and with which software? I have found my handheld ones to be very handy in the city, as long it has good software for where I am trying to go.

All (several) of my GPS units are made by Garmin. But I may buy the new Delorme one with the different topo maps which I think are better than Garmin's.

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    There are things I'm willing to drop a dime on, and that's one.

Other drivers complain that that is unkind, but I figure there are some idiots we are better off without.
    I support that - for the same reason I'd call in a drunk driver (or genuinely reckless one)... if I had a cell phone, that is!

>>Other drivers complain that that is unkind, but I figure there are some idiots we are better off without.<<

There are a lot of people around simply because killing them is illegal.

" just have a hand held Garmin....... I probably would never use it seriously in a city.."

Which model and with which software? I have found my handheld ones to be very handy in the city, as long it has good software for where I am trying to go.

All (several) of my GPS units are made by Garmin. But I may buy the new Delorme one with the different topo maps which I think are better than Garmin's.

-Don-

An old 12XLS ;D

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia